21. Which forms of transport do NOT require energy? DiffusionOsmosisFacilitated Diffusion*All of these are passive!
32. Which forms do require energy? EndocytosisExocytosisSodium-Potassium Pump*All of these are active!
43. At the end of the diffusion process, the concentration of substances on each side is _____________.Equal
54. Draw an illustration of diffusion. On right side of board.Sugar molecules start out lumped together and gradually move until they are evenly spread out.
65. Define diffusion.Movement of molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.
76. Red blood cells have a salt concentration of 0.9% In a solution of 1.2% salt, they will shrink because water moves out of the cell.In a 0.9% saline solution, they will remain the same because the two are equal.In pure water, they will swell because water will move into the cell.
98. In the diagram, which direction will the substances move? From left to right (high conc. to low conc.)
1010. A cell will swell when it is placed in a __________ solution. hypotonic
1111. A cell will shrink when placed in a _____________ solution. hypertonic
1212. A cell will remain the same when placed in an ___________ solution. isotonic
1313. What is the difference between active and passive transport? Active requires energy and moves molecules against their concentration gradient.Passive does not require energy and moves molecules down their concentration gradient.
1414. Proteins that act like selective passageways in the cell membrane are known as ___________. Channel proteins
1515. What kind of molecules can pass through the cell membrane unaided? Small, nonpolar
1616. During the egg demo, the egg gains mass and became swollen 16. During the egg demo, the egg gains mass and became swollen. What is the explanation for this?It was placed in a hypotonic solution and water moved into the egg.
1717. What is the energy source for active transport? ATP
1818. Molecules that are too large to be moved through the membrane can be transported into the cell by _______.Endocytosis
1919. Ridding the cell of materials by discharging the materials in vesicles is called ______________. Exocytosis
2020. Describe the Sodium-Potassium pump. What type of transport is it? A protein in the cell membrane that moves Na and K ions against their concentration gradient. It requires ATP, so it is active transport.
2121. Describe the lipid bilayer. Drawing on board!It is a double layer of phospholipids arranged tail to tail, making up the cell membrane.
2222. Define concentration gradient. A difference in concentrations.