AR is - a computer-based program designed to increase reading comprehension through daily monitoring using trade books
and isn’t -a basal reading series - the cure, end all or be all BUT if implemented correctly will increase reading comprehension
Implementation: 1. Student takes the STAR Test (Standardized Test for the Assessment of Reading)
2. The student’s IRL (Independent Reading Level) is determined
IRL = Independent Reading Level The level at which a student can read with little to no help
Other data from the STAR Test: GE = Grade Equivalent The level at which a student comprehends what s/he hears
ZPD = Zone of Proximal Development The levels of predicted student growth
3. Student selects and reads books on his/her IRL
4. Student takes tests at school on the books selected whenever ready
5. After 5 tests at the IRL have been taken and passed, the student is moved up 1 level
6. Steps 3-5 can be repeated as often as the student is ready
Things to remember: 1. Tests can be taken only at school and only once 2. Only the teacher or librarian can move the student up
3. The student receives points for passing the test based on his/her score 4. The number of points for 100% is on a sticker inside the front cover of the book
Every test has 5, 10, or 20 questions based on the length of the book and difficulty level
For 5-question test worth 1 point: 1 point for 100%.8 for 80%.6 for 60%
Students can take tests on books from the public library or home. The public library has their books labeled. You can check AR levels on books from home by searching “AR BookFinder”. It is best to bring the book with them to test or write down the author and title
Tests can be taken in the classroom, school library or school computer lab. Each teacher treats testing differently and may or may not allow time during the day. Students can test in the library from 8:30-9:05 and/or during their weekly library class.
AR Home Connect Go to the CAES website and click on the Parent tab then click on the link to AR Parent Connect. Username is child’s first name-one space- last name. Password is their lunch number.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.