Presentation on theme: "Water, pH and Acid Rain Review. 1. Water has ______________, meaning that it takes a lot of energy to make it change temperature. A.cohesion C.capillary."— Presentation transcript:
1. Water has ______________, meaning that it takes a lot of energy to make it change temperature. A.cohesion C.capillary action B.adhesion D.high specific heat
2. A solution that is mildly basic would have a pH of approximately A.2. C.6. B.4. D.8.
3. Water has the property of surface tension because the water molecules form ________ bonds between them. A.covalent C.hydrogen B.ionic D.nonpolar
4. When dissolved in water, all bases will A.form hydroxide ions. C.form hydrogen ions.. B.have a negative charge. D.turn red.
5. As part of an experiment, a student adds 10mL of 5% NaOH ( a strong base) solution to 100mL water. What will most likely occur? A.The concentration of OH- ions will increase. B.The concentration of H+ ions will increase. C.The pH will not change. D.The pH will decrease.
6. When a solution of an acid reacts with a solution of a base, hydronium ions react with hydroxide ions to form A.a salt. C.a weaker base. B.a stronger acid. D.water.
7. Which solution is the most basic? A.apple juice, pH = 3 C.hand soap solution, pH = 10 B.pure water, pH = 7 D.drain cleaner solution, pH = 14
8. An acid forms which ions in solution? A.oxygen C.hydronium B.hydroxide D.hydrogen E. both C and D
9. What does the pH of a solution measure? A.concentration of H + ions C.concentration of metal ions B.molarity of the solute D.solubility of the solute
10. The main compounds that form acid rain are ________. A.sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide C.nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide B.carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxide D.carbon dioxide and sodium hydroxide
11. Water molecules are attracted to other materials because of the property of __________. A.adhesion C.high specific heat B.cohesion D.all of the above
12. Which statement about acids is incorrect? A.turn blue litmus paper red C.taste sour B.contain hydrogen ions D.feel slippery
13. Which solution is the most basic? A.a solution with a pH = 10 C.a solution with a pH = 3 B.a solution with a pH = 6 D.a solution with a pH = 1
14. Which solution has the greatest concentration of hydrogen ions? A.Urine (pH 6.0) C.Tomato juice (pH 4.0) B.Rainwater (pH 5.5) D.Gastric juice (pH 2.0)
15. The harmful effects of acid rain include ____________. A.respiratory problems in humans. D.damaging lake and river ecosystems B.damaging of forests C.damage to buildings and structures E.all of the above
16. What happens to the pH of the acid in your stomach when you take an antacid? A.pH decreases C.pH decreases then increases B.pH increases D.pH stays the same
17. When the pH in your stomach decreases from 6 to 4, how does the hydrogen ion concentration change? A.it increases by a factor of 2 C.it decreases by a factor of 2 B.it increases by a factor of 100 D.it decreases by a factor of 100
18. The pH of a substance is a measure of its A.boiling point. C.ability to mix with water. B.food value. D.hydrogen ion concentration.
19. Human impact causes most acid rain due to ________________. A.factories releasing pollutants B.car exhaust C.landfill water leaching into streams D. a and b E. b and c
20. Corn syrup is composed mostly of glucose and fructose. What property of water explains why corn syrup dissolves easily in water? A. Water exhibits strong cohesion. C. Water is a polar molecule. B. Water has a high specific heat. D. Water is easily ionized.
21. Which phrase is not true about strong bases? A.conduct electricity well C.turn blue litmus paper red B.dissociate completely in water D.form OH - ions in solution
22. A molecule that has a partial positive charge on one side and a partial negative charge on the other side is called a A.nonpolar molecule C.charged molecule B.polar molecule D.covalent molecule
23. The label on a bottle indicates that the substance inside has a pH of 1. This tells you that the substance is A.neutral. C.mildly basic. B.strongly acidic. D.strongly basic.
24. _______________ occurs in plants as water molecules are pulled up the plant, against the force of gravity, due to the adhesion and cohesion of water molecules. A.High specific heat C.Surface tension B.Capillary action D.None of the above
25. Water molecules are attracted to each other because of the property of ___________. A.adhesion C.high specific heat B.cohesion D.all of the above
26. ________________ forms from pollutants caused by industry and transportation. A.Physical Weathering C.Precipitation B.Acid Rain D.None of the above