Presentation on theme: "What’s your Psych IQ? Determine if each statement is True or False!"— Presentation transcript:
What’s your Psych IQ? Determine if each statement is True or False!
1. The man on the first slide is Sigmund Freud. True! Sigmund Freud is the father of the psychoanalytic perspective. He developed many controversial theories which rocked Psychology his time and are still heavily disputed today. Concepts: ID, Ego, Super Ego, the unconscious, defense mechanisms, Oedipus Complex, psychosexual development
2. Psychiatrists offer forms of “talk therapy” only and cannot prescribe medication. False! Only Psychiatrists can prescribe medication because they have a medical degree. Psychologists have PhDs and cannot prescribe medication, only cognitive and/or behavioral therapy.
3. Major Depressive Disorder (Depression) is more prevalent in women than men. True! Why do you think this is?
4. Antisocial Personality Disorder is when a person is extremely shy and avoid social situations at all costs. False! People with Antisocial Personality disorder lack remorse for their actions. In essence they act “against society”. What do you think this can lead to?
5. You can develop a phobia of just about anything. True I have a list of over 500 different phobias… of everything from fear of snakes and spiders to fear of air, French culture and the great mole rat…
6. In an experiment, the placebo is the factor in the experiment which is being tested. False! Wrong! It is the Independent Variable. Placebos are used as controls in experiments to see if the Independent variable had an effect on the dependent variable. Sound fun?
7. All serial killers have a personality disorder. True! All have Antisocial Personality Disorder. Many also have Delusional Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder and sometimes Schizophrenia. All but one have Conduct Disorder in their youth.
8. The largest cause of death for young women between the ages of 18-24 is from eating disorders. True! Eating disorders often lead to physical problems such as low blood pressure, organ failure, bone loss, thinning hair, loss of menses, and many other ailments. Problems with the heart most often lead to death.
9. The highest suicide rates in the U.S. are found in white men over age 85. True! Why do you think this is?
10. Schizophrenia means you have multiple personalities. False! Schizophrenics have disorganized thinking and speech, but only one personality. Patients with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) AKA Multiple Personality Disorder have 2 or more personalities. DID is caused by extreme trauma at an early age. Schizophrenia is genetic.