Presentation on theme: "The role and innovation achieved by the judicial social workers in Shenzhen on community corrections Chunyu Social Work Service Organization, Shenzhen,"— Presentation transcript:
The role and innovation achieved by the judicial social workers in Shenzhen on community corrections Chunyu Social Work Service Organization, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China Management Trainee Shuang Chen
Presentation Flow 1. Introduction of the organization ； 2. Community corrections work system in Shenzhen ； 3. Role and functions of judicial social workers in community corrections in Shenzhen ； 4. Effects and innovation of Chunyu judicial social workers in community corrections ； 5. Advantages of “Purchase of Posts” adopted by judicial social workers in Shenzhen on community corrections ； 6. Disadvantages and solutions to “Purchase of Posts” adopted by judicial social workers in Shenzhen on community corrections.
1. Introduction of the Chunyu Social Work Service Organization, Shenzhen 1. Introduction of the organization ： Established on 27 th December, 2007, the Chunyu Social Work Service organization, Shenzhen is a non-profit organization operated by the people. Its establishment is greatly supported and fostered by the municipal Civil Affairs Bureau, and initiated by the Association of Labor Camps under the municipal Civil Affairs Bureau. 2. Service targets ： Offenders sentenced community service, discharged prisoners upon completion of sentence and prisoners discharged from labor camps ； Rehabilitating drug users in the community ； Staff responsible of letters and visits, etc..
3. Our mission ： Service target-oriented, offer diversified services with fine quality, assist ex-offenders to rebuild self-identity, gain back social functions; assist rehabilitating drug users in the community to get rid of drug abuse, foreground self-esteem, live out a healthy life; and actively participate in crime prevention and drug abuse prevention activities. 4. Our vision ： Through practical actions, we facilitate community support and acceptance of ex-offenders and rehabilitating drug abusers, assist service targets to correct their actions, reconstruct their self-identity, receive all-round development, and bring social harmony via various prevention work.
Time of establishment DistrictsDisciplineNumber of social workers March 2008NanshanJudicial10 March 2008BaoanJudicial7 March 2008LonggangJudicial16 October 2008FutianLetters and Visits （ Municipal ） 3 June 2009FutianNarcotics （ Municipal ） 6 June 2009LuohuNarcotics4 September 2010New PingshanNarcotics （ Municipal ） 6 Total52 5. Establishment of centers of Chunyu ：
6. Project development of Chunyu ： In January 2010, in the First Creative Project Competition, Shenzhen, our organization’s “ ‘Blessed by the spring rain was I’ – the youth drug abuse prevention and counselling project” was one of the 50 finalists, receiving subsidies from the Fucai Charitable Funds for implementation. In October 2010, in the First Creative Project Competition, Shenzhen, our organization’s “Home reborn – community rehabilitation project for female rehabilitating drug abusers (Midway Houses)” was one of the 20 finalists.
2. Community corrections work system in Shenzhen 1. Community corrections ： Community corrections in China is a means of sentence opposed to prison corrections. It refers to placing offenders which qualify for community corrections in the community. With specialized government agencies, and the assistance of social organisations concerned, organisations operated by the people and volunteers, offending psychological conditions and inappropriate behaviours are corrected within the period of judgment and ruling, non-imprisonment activities for facilitating re-entry into the society are also provided.
2. Supervising and executing departments of community corrections in Shenzhen Court Judgment Offenders sentenced are transferred by public security officials in prisons Family registers received by local judiciary Intervention by judicial social workers Sentenced by court for community corrections Judicial social workersJudicial administrative staff VolunteersPolice of the jurisdiction Specialized judicial staff at social work stations Daily community management staff Criminal court proceedings, direct judgment by court Criminal law executing process, application by public security officials in prisons Supervision and Investigation by Procuratorate and Public Security
3. Situation of community corrections in Shenzhen Control Probation Parole De-powerment Sentence outside prison
4. Situation of social work service on community corrections The situation of community corrections and service organizations in Shenzhen (Data last updated on 14 th February, 2011) No.Service DistrictNo. of community corrective targets No. of social workers Service organizationsTotal 1.Municipal Judiciary04Community Social Service Community Social Service: 34 2.Futian287Community Social Service 3.Luohu4611Community Social Service 4.New Guangming712Community Social Service 5.Nanshan3610ChunyuChunyu: 33 6.Longgang3416Chunyu 7.Baoan297Chunyu 3RunpengRunpeng: 3 8.Yantian105YantianYantian: 5 9.New Pingshan32ZhengyangZhengyang: 2 Total193775 organisations77
3. Role and functions of judicial social workers in community corrections in Shenzhen 个人层面：社会功能修复 自我形象、自信心、自尊 感等等； 家庭层面：家庭关系修复； 社会层面：不再危害社会， 重塑健康、快乐、有意义的 生活方式。 1. Judicial social workers form a specialized team on community corrections ； Rehabilitating Corrections: Remedial + Developmental Family: Repair family relationships Society: No more harm to the society, reconstruct a healthy, joyful and meaningful way of living Individual: Repair social functions, self-identity, confidence, self-esteem, etc.
2. Judicial social workers are the coordinators of community corrections at primary level ； Judicial Administrative Staff Judicial Social workers Volunteers Families of community corrective targets Specialised judicial staff at social work stations Police of the jurisdiction
3. Judicial workers are the incentives to improve the community correction system ； Improve the bridging system of community corrections ： （ 1 ） Non-custodial pre-trial investigation ； （ 2 ） Visits to service targets who will soon be discharged ；
4. Judicial social workers are the resource integrators of community corrections ； Co-operation across disciplines and professions 司法社工 其他领 域社工 政府行政部门 社会其 他组织 Judicial social workers Social workers from other disciplines Government administrative departments Other social organizations
4. Effects and innovation of Chunyu judicial social workers in community corrections 1. Individual-based services designed according to characteristics of targets of community corrections in Shenzhen; “Three Highs” targets of community corrections: High qualifications, high income, high social status. Main types of crime: Economic crimes like corruption, damage of the economic order of the socialist. “Three Lows” targets of community corrections: Low qualifications, low income, low social status ； Main types of crime: Violation of civil rights and the crime of democratic rights.
2. Volunteering service added to community corrections, diversified community services to facilitate rehabilitation of targets ； Activities from the Judicial volunteering team Visit to Special Schools
Community corrective targets teach the elderly English Visit the elderly who live alone
3. Reduce resistance by unwilling targets who receive community corrections, accumulate experience for constructing professional relationships ； 1. Deal with negative emotions or hostile attitudes ； 2. Deal with contradictory opinions from service targets on whether to receive community corrections ； 3. Identify incentives and motives which can let community corrective targets make changes ； 4. Foster hopes ； 5. Emphasize the strengths of community corrective targets ； 6. Correct negative beliefs.
4. Satisfy the special service needs of this aspect, set a new standard to close a case ； Service duration of a case=Duration of sentence of the service target
5. Advantages of “Purchase of Posts” adopted by judicial social workers in Shenzhen on community corrections Advantages ： （ 1 ） Expeditiously form a judicial social worker service network which covers the entire city ； （ 2 ） Grasp the chance to build professional relationships ； （ 3 ） Construct comprehensive and diversified resource network for administrative departments ； （ 4 ） Foreground the effectiveness of work ； （ 5 ） Effectively reduce the cots of administrative management.
6. Disadvantages and solutions to “Purchase of Posts” adopted by judicial social workers in Shenzhen on community corrections ： 1.Disadvantages ： （ 1 ） More severe administrativization; （ 2 ） The mode of “Purchase of Posts” leads to unequal division of labor ； （ 3 ） Numerous administrative management departments. 2. Solutions ： （ 1 ） Define roles and orientations of social workers ； （ 2 ） Construct a service index system in the aspect of justice ； （ 3 ） Strengthen communication with organizations which seek employees.
Thank you for your attention We welcome all comments from you Website ： www.szcy.org www.szcy.org Address ： B2108, 21/F, Tianping Building, 76 Jingtian Road, Futian District, Shenzhen Tel ： 0755-83053905 ， 83053844 E-mail Address ： email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org