Presentation on theme: "Lead-in Beethoven Mozart Zhang Haidi Who are they? Do you know their names and stories?"— Presentation transcript:
Lead-in Beethoven Mozart Zhang Haidi Who are they? Do you know their names and stories?
Stephen Hawking Stephen William Hawking was born on 8 January 1942 (300 years after the death of Galileo) in Oxford, England. At eleven Stephen went to St. Albans School, and then on to University College, Oxford, his father's old college. After three years and not very much work he was awarded a first class honors degree in Natural Science. Stephen then went on to Cambridge to do research in Cosmology, there being no-one working in that area in Oxford at the time. His supervisor was Denis Sciama. After gaining his Ph.D. he became first a Research Fellow, and later on a Professorial Fellow at Gonville and Caius College.
Helen Keller In 1880, Helen Keller was born in America. After 19 months she couldn't speak with the hearing loss due to illness. Her teacher Anna, in her age 7, came to help her, and opened her early education. With the help of the teacher, she finished college and learn typing, proficient the French and German. She dedicated her life to the blind, deaf, dumb to the internationalization of disabled people. She's autobiography has inspired people all over the world.
. Disability. Life of disabled people Learning Goals Knowledge Goals Topic
Expressions: in other words, adapt to, cut out, out of breath, all in all, sit around, as well as, in many ways, make fun of, never mind, all the best, meet with
Wishes and Congratulations All the best. I’m proud of you. I hope it goes well for you. Good luck. Congratulations! Expressing your opinions in polite ways I hope you will not mind… Perhaps there could be… I’d like to suggest that… It would be… Functional Items
Revise the Infinitive It is difficult to know what the future holds.( subject) Now his ambition is to become an actor. (predicative) He hope to become a teacher. (object) She is proud to have taken part in competitions…(adverbial) Grammar
Ability Goals Emotion Goals. Learn the words of the text. Learn the formal writing of the letter. Revise the usage of infinitive. Understand the difficulties of the disabilities. Try your best to understand them and help them
Important and Difficult Points Important Points Difficult Points. The revise of the infinitive. The expressions of congratulation. The revise of the infinitive
Warming up 1. Have you ever seen the Paralympic Games? What’s your opinion about the special athletes? 2. Can they do well as the other common athletes? 3. What kind of difficult will they meet in their excising ? 4. What have they done to overcome these difficulties?
Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.
When people were born, many things had been determined. Some were given genius, some were not. It’s really a hard work that people who had mental problems grown up. Most of them had their IQ below 70,some even lower. When they grew up, their mental age would still remain a level of child. The Special Olympics was the game of these people. Started in the year 1968,the special Olympics had developed to have more than 170 countries joined in, and tens of thousand athletes took part in it. Special Olympic players swore : “let me win,but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”
Special signs for the disabilities Road for them Room for them Lift for them
Themes of every year’s International Day of Disabled Persons 2008:Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Dignity and justice for all of us 2007:Decent work for persons with disabilities 2005: “Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Action in Development” 2004: “Nothing about Us without Us” 2003: “A voice of our own” 2002: “Independent Living and Sustainable Livelihoods” 2001: “Full participation and equality: The call for new approaches to assess progress and
evaluate outcome” 2000: “Making information technologies work for all” 1999: “Accessibility for all for the new Millennium” 1998: “Arts, Culture and Independent Living” 1997:Empowerment of Disabled: People– Building Civil Dialogue 1996:Poverty and Disability
Reading Explanation 1. The few who cannot see the real person inside my body do not make me annoyed, and I just ignored them. 还有些同学看不到我的内心世界，但是我并不 生气，只是不去理会他们罢了。 annoy: make sb a little angry or impatient He was quite annoyed, and went off muttering threats under his breath.
他很恼怒, 低声咕哝着威胁的话走掉了。 The membership is/are very annoyed at your suggestion. 会员们对你的建议甚为恼火。 2. As well as going to the movies and football matches with my friends, I spend a lot of time with my pets. 除了和我的朋友一起看电影和足球比赛，我 还花很多时间和我的宠物在一起。 as well as: in addition to sth/ sb/ doing He had all his school work to do, as well as looking after his sick mother.
他不仅要照顾生病的母亲，还把作业都完 成了。 He is a teacher as well as a a photographer. 他不仅仅是一个老师，同时他还是一个摄 影师。 3. Just accept them for who they are, and give them encouragement to live as rich and full a life as you do. 要接受他们，给他们鼓励，让他们能像你 一样过的丰富多彩、充实美满。 as… as 通常用于比较结构中。
I haven’t seen as old a car as this for years. 我好多年没有见过这么旧的小汽车了。 I can’t drink as sweet coffee as that. 我不能喝那么甜的咖啡。 4. I hope you will not mind me writing to ask if you have thought about the needs of disabled customers. 我希望您不介意我写信询问您是否已考虑到 残疾顾客的需要。 mind 表示 “ 介意；反对 ” I’m not particular about my clothes; I don’t mind what I wear.
我不怎么讲究我的衣服，我不在乎我穿什 么。 Let’s postpone our date for dinner, if you do not mind. 如果你不反对，我们可以另约时间。 5. So I’d like to suggest that the seats at the black be placed higher than those at the front so that everyone can see the screen easily. 所以我建议后排的座位应该比前排的高， 这样每个人都能很容易的看到银幕。 so that 可以引起目的状语从句，也可以引 导结果状语从句。
The teacher is so ill-tempered that nobody dares to raise a query in his class. 老师的脾气很不好，因此无人敢在课堂上提 出问题。 He reeled and lurched so that young surgeon insisted upon accompanying him. 他走路时东倒西歪，踉踉跄跄，因此年轻的 外科医生坚持要送他。
Language Points 1. I hope you will not mind… 我希望你不会介 意 …… I hope you will not mind her words in the part. 2. Perhaps there could be… 或许 …… Perhaps there could be another solution to solve the problem. 3. I’d like to suggest that… 我想建议 …… I’d like to suggest that you should do more exercises for your body health.
4. It would be… 可能 …… It would be a question for our future cooperation. 5. I’m awfully sorry that… 我很抱歉 I’m awfully sorry that I can’t join with you this time. 6. Excuse me… 打扰一下 …… Excuse me, could you tell me where can I find a restaurant? 7. Congratulations! 祝贺你！
Learning about Language Words 1. lap vt. 舔 ; 舔食 Cats and dogs lap water. 猫狗舔水。 轻拍 ; 冲拍 Water lapped the sides of the boat. 河水轻拍着小舟的两侧。 领先一圈 Before the end of the race Bob had lapped Jimmy. 比赛结束前, 鲍勃以一圈领先吉米。
包 ; 缠绕 ( 布等 ) 于 She lapped my finger with gauze. 她用绷带将我的手指包起来。 vi. 跑完一圈 James lapped in two minutes. 詹姆斯在两分钟内跑完一圈。 n. 一圈 He put in a spurt at the beginning of the eighth lap. 他进入第八圈时便开始冲刺。 ( 坐着时 ) 膝上腰下的大腿部分 She was sitting with her hands on her lap. 她坐着, 把手放到膝上。
2. ambitious adj. 有抱负的, 雄心勃勃的 Only ambitious students get the best marks. 有抱负的学生才能取得最好的成绩。 The actress is ambitious of applause. 这女演员极想得到喝彩。 有野心的 He is an ambitious man. 他是个有野心的人。 3. entry n. 进入 The army made a triumphant entry into the
enemy’s capital. 部队胜利地进入了敌方首都。 入场权 You mustn’t drive into a street with a “No Entry” sign. 你切勿把车驶进有 “ 不得进入 ” 标示的街道。 入口处 I will wait for you at the entry. 我在入口处等你。 登记, 条目, 词条 The entry of all expenditure is necessary. 有必要把一切开支入账。
4. outgoing adj. 对人友好的 ; 开朗的 He is an outgoing and lively person. 他是个性格开朗而又活泼的人。 即将离职的 She is the outgoing head of a large corporation. 她是一家大公司即将离职的负责人。 5. adapt vt. & vi. 使 ) 适应, ( 使 ) 适合 She knew how to adapt herself. 她懂得如何适应环境。 vt. 改编, 改写 Many of Dickens’ books have been adapted as films. 狄更斯的许多书都已改编成电影。
6. absence n. 缺席, 离开, 不在场 She called in your absence. 你不在时她来过。 不在场的次数或时间 Ade’s constant absences from work made his boss very angry. 艾德经常旷工使他的老板很生气。 缺乏, 不存在 A major problem is the absence of water. 主要的问题是缺水。
7. fellow n. 男子 ; 小伙子, 家伙 I consider him to be a clever fellow. 我认为他是个聪明的小伙子。 ( 大学的 ) 研究员, ( 学术团体的 ) 会员 Kehr is a fellow of the Royal Society. 凯尔是皇家学会会员。 同伴, 同志 Her fellows share her interest in computers. 她的同伴跟她一样对计算机感兴趣。 8 firm adj. 结实的, 坚硬的, 牢固的
This wet ground is not firm enough to walk on. 这块湿地不够坚实, 不能在上面走。 坚定不移的, 矢志不渝的 Our offer was met with a firm refusal. 我们的报价被坚决拒绝。 强有力的 ; 坚信 He kept a firm hold on my arm as he helped me over the fence. 他有力地拉着我的手臂, 帮我越过栅栏。 n. 公司, 商行 The firm has agreed to give me a two weeks’ holiday. 公司已经同意给我两个星期的假。
Expressions 1. in other words 换言之 In other words, it was not only the struggle about money-wages. 换句话说，这不仅仅是关于货币工资方面的 争执。 In other words, the ice begins to melt. 换句话说，冰开始融化了。 2. adapt to 适应 Some businessmen cannot adapt to change because they have tunnel vision.
有些生意人因为见识狭窄, 不能顺应局势的变 化。 I do not think I’ll ever adapt to this culture. 我恐怕永远也适应不了这种文化。 3. cut out 删除，裁剪 Let’s cut out the unimportant details. 我们来把不重要的细节删掉。 Let’s cut out the talking and get back to work. 我们不谈了, 回去干活吧。 4. out of breath 上气不接下气 He spoke so fast that he was out of breath. 他说得那么快, 都倒不过气来了。
I ran faster than ever, reaching the schoolyard quite out of breath. 我跑得更快了，到了校园时上气不接下气了。 5. make fun of 开玩笑 Those girls at the telephone office have very sharp tongues and they like to make fun of others. 电话所的女电话员们个个尖嘴嚼舌，老和他 人开玩笑。 Be serious, John! Don't make fun of me. 严肃点，约翰！别拿我开玩笑！
6. never mind 别介意 Never mind what he said, I want your opinion. 别理会他的话，我想听听你的意见。 Never mind the rest. I follow your general idea. 不必说下去了，我一概遵命就是了。 7. meet with 遇见，碰到 A dishonest person is bound to meet with setbacks sooner or later. 不老实的人非碰钉子不可。 At the same time, he would meet with opposition here. 同时，他在这儿会碰到敌人的。
8. all in all 总而言之 Taken all in all, these four volumes constitute a rich harvest. 总的说来，这四部著作硕果累累。 Her daughter is all in all to her in the world. 在这个世界上，她的女儿是她最爱的人。 9. sit around 围坐 The old people liked to sit around the stove, chewing the cud of their lost youth. 老人们喜欢围坐在火炉边，漫谈他们已逝的青 春时代。 You're not paid to sit around doing nothing! 花钱雇你来可不是让你光坐着不干活的 !
Structures 动词不定式的分类： 一、 带 to 的不定式结构 我们学过的能直接跟带 to 的不定式结构的动词主 要有 :want, ask, tell, hope, learn, try, decide, forget, remember, like, love, stop, go, come 等。 二、 不带 to 的不定式结构主要有以下几种情况 : 1. 在引导疑问句的 why not 之后。 “Why not+ 不 带 to 的不定式 ” 是 Why don’t you do… 的省略, 可以 用来提出建议或劝告。例如 : Why not go
with her? 为什么不和她一起去呢？ Why not have a holiday. =Why don’t you have a holiday. 为什么不休假呢 ? 2. 在固定词组 had better 之后。注意 :had better 的否定形式是 had better not do sth. 。例 如 : You had better rest now. 你最好现在休息。 It’s raining outside. You’d better not go out. 外 面正在下雨, 你最好不要出去。 3. 在 let, make, see, feel, watch, hear 等感官 或使役动词后, 要跟不带 to 的动词不定式作宾语 补足语。例如 : I make him clean the
floor for me. 我让他帮我擦地板。 I didn’t see you for a long time. 好久不见。 动词不定式在句子中做不同的成分： 一、动词不定式作主语 不定式结构作主语时, 现代英语倾向于采用 it 作 形式主语, 而把不定式结构后置的形式。 二、动词不定式作宾语 有的及物动词要求跟复合宾语 ( 即宾语 + 宾语 补足语 ) 。如果其中的宾语是不定式短语, 则必须 将形式宾语 it 放在宾语的位置上, 而将不定式短语 ( 真正的宾语 ) 放在宾语补足语之前。例如 : I find it useful to master a skill.
我发现掌握一门技术很有用。 We thought it unfair to give him a chance. 我们认为给他这个机会是不公平的。 三、动词不定式作定语 不定式作定语, 要放在它所修饰的名词或代词 的后面。例如 : He has nothing to say about her. 他对她无话可说。 四、动词不定式作状语 动词不定式及其短语具有副词的特性, 可在句 中用作状语。 1. 用在 too... to... 结构中。
2. 放在句首也可以放在句尾表示目的等。例如 : He comes back to have lunch. 他回来吃午餐。 3. 跟在作表语的形容词或过去分词的后面。例 如 : I’m awfully sorry to tell you this. 我很抱歉把这 些告诉你。 五、动词不定式作宾语补足语 动词不定式作宾语补足语是动词不定式用法的 一个重点, 学习时要注意以下三种情况 : 1. 作动词 help 的宾语补足语时, 动词不定式符号 to 可以带, 也可以不带。例如 : Can you help me (to) lift this to the second floor.
2. 作动词 ask, like, tell 等的宾语补足语时, 动词 不定式符号 to 不可以省略。例如 : Jim asks me to borrow this book to him. 吉姆要我把这本书 借给他。 3. 作使役动词 let, have, make 以及感官动词 feel, hear, see, watch 等的宾语补足语时, 动词 不定式符号 to 要省略。例如 :Mum makes me do the housework as possible as I can. 妈妈让我 尽自己的可能做家务。
Speaking Look at the picture on this page. It is really a big difficulty for the disabilities to live a common life in the world. How could they do as well as a healthy athlete in the sport games? What kind of difficulty must they face? Discuss with your partner. Using Language
Reading and Writing Carry on At times when you feel troubled when your happiness is gone look to the heart within you for the strength to carry on. In your heart you will find special virtues such as faith and hope and love. These gifts have been sent down to you from a power up above. It is faith that keeps the soul searching
for the joy the heart hopes for. It is love that heals the spirit making it stronger than before. And if your heart be broken if your strength should fade away the power of these virtues will still win out the day. So remember when you’re troubled when your happiness is gone look to the heart within you for the strength to carry on.
Read the poem above, what’s your feeling from it? Write down some points of view about help the disabilities in our society. The article should include: 1. What kind of problems exist in our society? 2. What’s your opinion about these problems? 3. What should we do to solve these problems? 4. Summarize your opinion in few words.
Useful Expressions in other words, adapt to, cut out, out of breath, all in all, sit around, as well as, in many ways, make fun of, never mind, all the best, meet with All the best. I’m proud of you. I hope it goes well for you. Good luck. Congratulations! I hope you will not mind… Perhaps there could be… I’d like to suggest that… It would be…
New Grammar 动词不定式是一种非限定性动词，由 to ＋动 词原形构成，但它还是属于动词，所以它本身可 以带宾语和状语。动词不定式在句中可以作主语、 宾语、表语、定语和状语，还可用在复合结构中， 而且有完成式、进行式、完成进行式和否定形式。 动词不定式的被动形式除了一般形式外还有其完 成式和进行式。动词不定式的特殊情况也要掌握。
高考链接 1. the safety of gas, the government has checked the city’s gas supply system thoroughly. (2007 ，上海 ) A. To ensure B. Ensuring C. Having ensured D. To have ensured 解析：本题考查的是不定式做目的状语的用 法。句子的意思是： “ 为了确保供气的安全，政 府仔细检查了城市的供气系统。 ” to ensure the safety of gas 是目的状语。 A
2. When asked why he went there, he said he was sent there for a space flight. (2007 ， 江西卷 ) A. training B. being trained C. to have trained D. to be trained 解析：本题考查的是不定式的用法。根据句 意可知，此处用动词不定式表目的，并且主语 he 与 train 之间是动宾关系，用被动语态的一般 形式。 D
3. The children talked so loudly at dinner table that I had to struggle. (2007 ，浙江卷 ) A. to be heard B. to have heard C. hearing D. being heard 解析：本题考查的是不定式的用法。这里的 动词不定式表目的； hear 与其逻辑主语 I 之间是 动宾关系，用不定式的被动语态。 A
Exercises 1. Anyone ___ to another country needs special papers. A. traveled B. travels C. to travel D. traveling 2. — Who were those people in green? —A group ___ itself the League for Peace. A. calling B. calls C. called D. is called D A
3. When water becomes very cold, _____the ___ point, it turns into ice. A. reaches…freezes B. reaching…freezing C. and reaching… frozen D. to reach… freeze B
4. The missing boys were last seen ___ near the river. A. to play B. playing C. play D. to be playing 5. He sent an , ___ to get further information. A. hoped B. hoping C. to hope D. hope B B