Presentation on theme: "What Jo Did By Charles R. Smith Jr. Vocabulary 1. Paint the rim first. edge outline."— Presentation transcript:
What Jo Did By Charles R. Smith Jr.
1. Paint the rim first. edge outline
2. The travelers marveled at the view. a. Were filled with fear. b. Were filled with wonder.
3.Stretch the cloth over the hoop. ring frame
4.The kitten swatted the sky. gripped slapped
5. Ginger fouled during the game. Got annoyed Broke a rule
b. Broke a rule
6.Can I borrow your jersey? costume shirt
7. Your song left me speechless. amazed confused
8.How was Joanna’s basketball rim different from most? It had a backboard. It was 16 feet high.
b. It was 16 feet high.
9.What time of day does this story take place? a. Around noon b. Early evening
b. EARLY evening
10.Why did the boys ask Joanna to play basketball with them? They did not have enough players. They wanted to use her basketball.
a. They did not have enough players.
She thought the boys would not let her play if they knew she was a girl. She wanted to prove that girls could play ball as well as boys. 11. What is the most likely reason that Joanna hid the fact that she was a girl?
a. She thought the boys would not let her play if they knew she was a girl.
12. It was funny that the red-haired boy told Joanna that T.J. can “jump pretty high” because he did not know….. How high T.J. could actually jump. How high Joanna could jump.
b. How high Joanna could jump.
13. Which of the following is an IMPORTANT THEME of this story? a.Do not judge others by their appearance. b.To play a sport, you must be a good athlete.
a. Do not judge people by their appearance.
14. Why did Joanna NOT want the boys to she had never heard the word “dunk” before? They might realize that she was a girl. They might think she did not know much about basketball.
b. They might think she did not know much about basketball.
15. What was the climax of this story? a. When Joanna jumped high and dunked the ball. b. When everyone realized that Jo was Joanna.
16. Why were the boys shocked when Joanna’s cap fell off? a.They realized how short she was. b.They discovered that she was a girl.
17.Which of these events happened LAST? The boys gave Joanna a nickname. Joanna dunked the ball.
a. The boys gave Joanna a nickname.
18. What IMPORTANT LESSON did the boys in the story learn? Small Group Discussion
Girls can be good athletes too.
19. Which boy’s attitude CHANGED THE MOST, and HOW did it change?
T.J.’s attitude changed the most BECAUSE he went from being angry with Joanna to admiring her skills and inviting her to come back to play basketball again.
20. At the end of the story, why does T.J. tell Joanna to “leave the hat at home?
He is telling her that she doesn’t need to hide that she is a girl because he knows she is a good player.
GOOD LUCK ON THE TEST I KNOW YOU WILL DO YOUR BEST!