1. PRESENT STATUS NATIONAL SYSTEMS Different legislations Substantive law Rules of precedure Professional rules Duration of the proceedings Protection of human rights WEAKNESSES All these differences Prevent unifying Europe from a legal point of view Expose citizens to sharp differences Cause a different treatment of lawyers THE LAW AND EUROPE Is the law ahead or behind ?
2. NEEDS OF EUROPE To reduce (if not to eliminate) these differences
3. ROLE OF LAWYERS A major role in expressing the citizens needs
4. TARGET 1° stage To make the national legal systems closer and closer 2° stage To try to harmonize them
5. PATH TO ACHIEVE THE TARGET 1° step The Federation of the European Bar Associations 2° step A European Bar Association
6. TO WALK TOGETHER OR TO REMAIN PASSIVE OR ISOLATED This is the question for each of us
7. NON EUROPEAN BAR ASSOCIATIONS Non European Bar Associations may apply for an observer status to receive and discuss reports and to be invited to attend meetings. I would support these applications