Presentation on theme: "INITIAL NATIONAL COMMUNICATION DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO Submitted to COP8 THROUGH THE UNFCCC/ Secretariat, October 2002."— Presentation transcript:
INITIAL NATIONAL COMMUNICATION DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO Submitted to COP8 THROUGH THE UNFCCC/ Secretariat, October 2002
CONTENT 1.Geography Location of the country Environmental overview 2. Socio-economic overview 3.Result of the GHG Inventory 4.Vulnerability & Adaptation 5.Difficulties, Recommendations & Projects
1. GEOGRAPHY Location of the country Equatorial Africa 2.345.409 km 2 Environmental overview Central basin of Congo, second in the world for its flow on average 45.000 m 3 /sec
2.ENVIRONMENTAL OVERVIEW Vegetation: very complex spectrum, from forests to savannas, which, according to FAO(1990), includes 113.275.000 ha of the forests. Biodiversity : many endemic species and national parks
2.ENVIRONMENTAL OVERVIEW (2) Climate :- a very broad range with equatorial, tropical and mountains - Precipitations : Between 800 to 2,000 mm / Yr - Temperature : 15 to 20 ºC as minimum / Yr ; 30 to 35 ºC as maximum - relative humidity : seldom < 70%
3. SOCIOECONOMIC OVERVIEW Population : 42.7 million inhabitants - Urban population : 30 % -Population growth rate : 3.4 % Economic situation : # GDP : 138.5 $US of GDP / capita # Agriculture = 53.4 % of val.GDP
3. SOCIOECONOMIC OVERVIEW (2) Energy potentiality # Hydroelectricity (only INGA ) : 46.10 3 TOE /yr # Crude oil : 730.10 6 Barrels ( proved reserve) # Coal : 720.106 TOE / yr Consumption of Energy # Firewood and charcoal : 80 % inhbts / Yr # hydroelectricity : 5 million MWh / Yr
3. SOCIOECONOMIC OVERVIEW (3) Heath # Malnutrition : 30 to 50 % # Maternal Mortality : 200 – 300 Women /day # Deprives of Vitam. A : 61.1 % of children P.S. : AN ALTTOGETHER CATASTROPHIC SITUATION SOCIOECONOMIC WHICH IN WAS WORSENED MORE BY THE WAR WHICH HAS OCCURRED SINCE 1998.
4. RESULTS OF THE NATIONAL GHG INVENTORY Methodology # The data used were collected, by sector, by the national consultants and other experts attached to the public and private Institutions, and NGOs. They were then validated with ordinary statistical tests. # The methods used is the revised 1996 IPCC guidelines.
5.VUNERABILITY & ADAPTATION RESULTS Methodology #The validation for Magicc Scengen scenarios was centered in monthly rainfall records since 1931. # The software above was used in fine meshes of 0.25° x 0.25° in concordance with SADC # One obtained best simulations with the models of Hadley (GCM Had CM2 MS 92a)
5. Vulnerability & Adaptation Agriculture Water problem in the towns To safeguard the capacity of sequestration of the RDC To improve the lived daily of the most stripped population
6. RECOMMENDATIONS The country has a Plan of Action with 11 Projects about those vulnerabilities : # For Agriculture # For Resource Water # For its costal zone # For Energy
6.DIFFICULTIES The revised IPCC Guidelines of GHG raised difficulties for the access to synthesis tables because of the use of Visual Basic with Excel software ( Please more information in the Help windows) Also, most of parameters are estimated by default Magicc- scengen can’t be used for fine analysis Inaccessibility of one part of the country because of the war.