Presentation on theme: "Presented by: Khoi Tran. Side by side through the streets at midnight, Roaming together, Through the tumultuous night of London, In the miraculous April."— Presentation transcript:
Presented by: Khoi Tran
Side by side through the streets at midnight, Roaming together, Through the tumultuous night of London, In the miraculous April weather. Roaming together under the gaslight, Day’s work over, How the Spring calls to us, here in the city, Calls to the heart from the heart of a lover! Cool to the wind blows, fresh in our faces, Cleansing, entrancing, After the heat and the fumes and the footlights, Where you dance and I watch your dancing. Good it is to be here together, Good to be roaming, Even in London, even at midnight, Lover-like in a lover’s gloaming. You the dancer and I the dreamer, Children together, Wandering lost in the night of London, In the miraculous April weather.
1) What is the poem about ? The poem is about… a lover. a couple in London. Love can shine even in a tumultuous night of London.
2) Who is the speaker ? How do you know ? The poet is male so therefore, the speaker is a man. The poet can be talking about his own experiences. The speaker is a man in love. Example in the poem: ○ “Where you dance and I watch your dancing.” A man is usually the person who watches a women dance.
3) What is the theme/lesson ? Is there one ? The theme of the poem is that love helps people go through their day and enjoy the night.
4) What is the purpose of this poem The purpose of the poem is: The person express his love to his lover. To make love seem like an incredible thing in a tumultuous night of London. To make love seem really strong to help a person endure those loud, noisy sounds of the London night.
5) What literary devices and sound devices are used ? Give five example and the line example 1) Roaming together was repeated at the beginning of lines 2 and 3. 2) “Children together,/Wandering lost in the night of London” (he is comparing himself and his lover to children) 3) “Gloaming.” (the “gl” sound and the “oh” sound) In lines 13 and 14 “Good” was repeated at the beginning of the line. 5) Line 9 “…, fresh in our faces,”. → Anaphora → Metaphor → Euphony → Repetition → Alliteration
6) What is the tone of the poem ? What words help you figure this out ? Dreamer Miraculous Lover Gloaming Heart The poem has a loving and delightful tone.
7) Three words I don’t know Gloaming Tumultuous Fumes The Twilight, the end of the day Full of or marked by tumult, loud and confused Smoke, gas, or any smoke like or gaseous exhalation
8) How does the title connect to the content of the poem ? If it doesn’t explain why. The title connects because… the poem explains a day in April. the poem is in London. the joyful events in the poem begin during the day and then end with midnight. in April, spring is about to happen, flowers start to blossom, and it is the month that people associate with love.
9) What questions did you have when you first analyzed and T4 the poem ? 1) Who is the poet’s lover ? I assume the poet is talking to a girl. 2) What year did this poem happen ? The years before electricity because of the use of gas light. 3) Why did the poet choose London at night ? The poet chose London because the city can be tumultuous, but when love is around, it makes things calmer and happier.
Song ○ “Lovers dance when they’re feeling in love. Spotlight shining, it’s all about us. It's all about us.” The song remind me of the poem: -Lovers dance -Spotlight shining says how love shines in the loud, noisy, tumultuous night of London -Spotlight also says that even in a loud, noisy place, love is the only thing that gets the attention.
Picture The picture is of a heart shining in a dark place. The poem shows how love shines in the tumultuous night of London