Presentation on theme: "I. Responsibilities To God. Mt.6:33 Precept Precept: put God and His kingdom first Period Period: from conversion until death Promise Promise: all things."— Presentation transcript:
Responsibility to erring Christian 1. Restore 1. Restore, Ga.6:1 (Ex.23:5; Mt.7:12) 2. Admonish 2. Admonish, 1 Th.5:14 3. Withdraw 3. Withdraw (last resort), 2 Th.3:14-15 4. Pure motives 4. Pure motives, 3 Jn.9-10
“One another” responsibilities 1. Give preference to…in honor, 1. Give preference to…in honor, Ro.12:10 “Willing to let the other man have the credit” (P) Instead of seeking own honor, outdo one another in showing respect Recognize strengths and praise attainments of family members
2. Admonish, 2. Admonish, Ro.15:14 To counsel about avoidance or cessation of an improper course of conduct, warn, instruct (BDAG) “Keep one another on the right road” (P) Cf. 24, 30, 32
3. Serve, 3. Serve, Ga.5:13 Beneficial bondage Free to serve. Ac.20:35 Questions: Giver or taker? Problem or solution? Worker or shirker?
5. Show forbearance, 5. Show forbearance, Ep.4:2 To regard w. tolerance, endure, put up with (BDAG) “Make allowances for one another because you love one another” (P) Mt.17:17 1 Co.13:7
6. Be kind, 6. Be kind, Ep.4:32 Ep.5:1, mimic God: reproduce family likeness Samaritan Lk.10 Jews Lk.10 Cornelius Ac.10:2 Christians ?
7. Forgive, 7. Forgive, Ep.4:32 (as…) “We used to value above all else money and possessions. Now we bring toge- ther all that we have and share it with those who are in need. Formerly we hated and killed one another because of a difference in nationality or custom. Now since the coming of Christ, we all live in peace. We pray for our enemies and seek to convert those who hate us” – Justin Martyr
8. Submit, 8. Submit, Ep.5:21 Give up my right or will Not mutual submission Submit to those in authority Specific instances follow Wife to husband Church to Christ Child to parents Slave to master
Submit: give up my right or will Practically speaking, our submission governs mutual responsibilities CoachTeam ConductorOrchestra ChristChristians
9. Consider... more important, 9. Consider... more important, Ph.2:3 “Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself” – NASB “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves” – ESV
10. Love, 10. Love, 1 Th.4:9-10 Nature Nature: brotherly. Jn.13:34; 1 Pt.1:22 Necessity Necessity: Nurture Nurture: love more and more Proves discipleship, Jn.13:34-35 Performs law, Ro.13:8-10 Protects us, 1 Jn.3:15-18
11. Confess sins, Ja.5:16 Every confession is to God because every sin is against Him Includes brethren affected by it First requirement: admitting guilt Problem: excuses
12. Pray, 12. Pray, Ja.5:16 “Cold prayers are as arrows without heads, as swords without edges, as birds without wings; they pierce not, they cut not, they fly not up to heaven. Cold prayers always freeze before they reach heaven” – Tho. Brooks 1 Sm.12