Software for Music Analysis An Overview Joren Six
Agenda Introduction Digital Music Registration Software for Music Analysis Practical Examples Conclusion Questions, Discussion
1. Introduction This talk gives an overview of: The way music can be represented digitally Software for analysis of digital music The aim is to gain insights, get ideas for your master thesis.
2. Digital Registration ScoreAudio MusicXML MIDI
2. Digital Registration - Score Scanned Score Lay-out Musical contents Hard to process (OMR)
2. Digitale Registration - MusicXML E -1 3 24 1 quarter up MusicXML Automatically to process Lay-out and contents Little performance information
2. Digitale Registration - MIDI MIDI score Automatically to process Musical contents and lay-out Little performance information MIDI performance Automatically to process 'All' information about perfromance, musical contents No lay-out info
2. Digital Registration Score Audio MusicXML MIDI
3. Software for Music Analysis Tartini Beatroot Tarsos MelodicMatch OMR-Software Sonic Visualiser Humdrum Music21
Audacity 3. Software voor muziekanalyse Tartini Beatroot Tarsos MelodicMatch OMR-Software Sonic Visualiser Humdrum Music21
3. Software – Sonic Visualiser Timbre Waveform Pitch Plug-ins for analysis http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/
4. Practical Examples The Oboe concerto by Richard Strauss: research around the use of vibrato and dynamics. Notation or Performance: Performance Symbolic or signal: Signal Registration: Audio Software: Tartini, Sonic Visualizer
4. Practical Examples Research question about the tempo of different performances of the same piece: Notation or Performance: Performance Symbolic or signal: both possible Registration: Audio or performed MIDI Software: BeatRoot or music21
4. Practical Examples Fantasia Contrappuntistica. Ferruccio Busoni, a man with his own style? Notation or Performance: Notation Symbolic or signal: Symbolisch Registration: MusicXML Software: MelodicMatch, music21
4. Practical Examples Can you control Stage fright? Notation or Performance: ??? Symbolic or signal: ??? Registration: ??? Software: ???
4. Practical Examples Mixed Languages: How to combine aspects of Indian classical music into a live jazz gig? Notation or Performance: both Symbolic or signal: both Registration: Score, Audio or MIDI Software: Indian tone scales, Tarsos
5. Conclusion Software can be used as an objective measurement tool to answer research questions related to music.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.