Presentation on theme: "Embracing the Opportunity to Lead Seven Simple Steps Towards Embracing Team Leadership VCCS Classified Staff Leadership Academy Dave UrsoJune 7, 2005."— Presentation transcript:
Embracing the Opportunity to Lead Seven Simple Steps Towards Embracing Team Leadership VCCS Classified Staff Leadership Academy Dave UrsoJune 7, 2005
6. Commit to Success; But Dont Be Afraid to Fail Leadership is not the absence of mistakes. It is the ability to acknowledge your mistakes and move forward.
3. Provide Others With the Opportunity to Shine As leaders, we must share our passions with those that we work with. Once we successfully connect with them as a person, they can move towards better understanding our perspective.
7. Dream of the Impossible How are you currently Challenging yourself to grow?
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback Dont ignore poor performance. Return to the goal-setting process And say, I made a mistake. The One Minute Manager
6. Commit to Success; But Dont Be Afraid to Fail Albert Einsteins parents thought he was retarded. Charles Darwins father told him he would be a disgrace to the family. Henry Ford failed out of high school. Spike Lee couldnt get into a graduate school for film study. Charles Darrows boardgame, Monopoly wasnt printed by several toy companies due to its 52 fundamental errors.
1.Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership Your leadership style is not how you THINK you behave; it is the way that OTHERS say you behave.
5. Excel When Dealing with Change Are you willing to let someone else come in and take whats yours because they were willing to work harder? Cal Ripken, Jr.
7. Dream of the Impossible A dream is not a luxury. It is a necessity.
1. Dont Miss An Opportunity Success is not hocus pocus. It is focus focus. Willie Jolley
2. Believe in the Inherent Good of People What positive thing do you do just for you in the first 20 minutes of your day?
6. Commit to Success; But Dont Be Afraid to Fail The worst of all sins is not failure; It IS low aim.
5. Excel When Dealing With Change If you want things to be better in the future, than something needs to change. Improvements dont come from things staying exactly the same.
1.Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership You are a product of your environment. So choose the environment that will best develop you toward your objective. toward your objective. W. Clement Stone
2. Believe in the Inherent Good of People We live in cynical times, and one aspect of that cynicism is the corrosive notion that individuals are powerless to make a difference. But history is still made by people, one person at a time. Teresa Heinz
1.Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership Thank God – every morning when you get up – that you have something to do which must be done, whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best, will breed a hundred virtues which the idle will never know. Charles Kingsley
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback Theres no such thing as a self-made man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken a word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success. George Matthew Adams
5. Excel in Dealing with Change There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world; and that is an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo
2. Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership There is no such thing as luck. We make our own, good or bad. We make it by our attitudes and our actions. We make it by keeping out eyes open for opportunities. Lily Dache
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback A man desires praise that he may be reassured, and quit his doubting of himself; he is indifferent to applause when he is confident of success. Alec Waugh
3. Provide Others With the Opportunity to Shine Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, it is the realization of how much you already have.
6. Commit to Success; But Dont Be Afraid to Fail Success in life is not so much a matter of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance.
1.Dont Miss An Opportunity for Leadership At the end of your life, what will matter is what you gaveevery act of integrity, compassion, courage, and sacrifice that enriched, empowered, or encouraged others to emulate your example. Consider how long you will be remembered, by whom and for what. Choose a life that matters.
3. Provide Others with the Opportunity to Shine The mark of a true professional is giving more than you get. Robert Kirby
5. Excel when Dealing with Change I discovered I always have choices; sometimes its only a choice of attitude. Judith M. Knowlton
2. Believe in the Inherent Good of People Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these. Lloyd Shearer
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback Looking back, I have this regret, that too often when I loved, I did not say so. David Grayson
7. Dream of the Impossible Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so indispensable, none so powerful, as hope. Without hope, men are only half alive. With hope, they dream and think and work. Charles Sawyer
1.Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived…this is to have succeeded. Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback People may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel. Carl W. Buechner
3. Provide Others With the Opportunity to Shine Our American tradition of neighbor helping neighbor has always been one of our greatest strengths and most noble traditions. Ronald Reagan
2. Believe in the Inherent Good of People Character isnt inherited. One builds it daily by the way one thinks and acts, thought by thought, action by action. If one lets fear, hate or anger take possession of the mind, they become self-forged chains. Helen Douglas
5. Excel when Dealing with Change Most people think that if they were only in some other place, or had some other job, they would be happy. Well, that is doubtful. So get as much happiness out of what you are doing as you can and dont put off being happy until some future date. Dale Carnegie
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback Be generous with praise… but cautious With criticism.
3. Provide Others with the Opportunity to Shine People want to know how much you care before they care how much you know. James F. Hind
1.Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership Success doesnt come to you. You go to it. Marva Collins
6. Commit to Success; But Dont Be Afraid to Fail One of the hardest things in this world is to admit you are wrong. to admit you are wrong. And nothing is more helpful in resolving the situation than its frank admission. Benjamin Disraeli
7. Dream of the Impossible Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. how far one can go. T. S. Eliot
5. Excel when Dealing with Change If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet
2. Believe in the Inherent Good of People If it werent for the really good people in the world, love and friendship would be an even harder quest.
7. Dream of the Impossible The will to believe is perhaps the most powerful human attribute. John P. Grier
3. Provide Others with the Opportunity to Shine The most rewarding way to get to the top is by lifting those beneath you. Cullen Hightower
5. Excel when Dealing with Change If nothing ever changed, the world would have no butterflies.
7. Dream of the Impossible Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared those who dared believe that something inside of them was superior to circumstance. Bruce Barton
6. Commit to Success; But Dont Be Afraid to Fail Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. Moshe Arens
1.Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
5. Excel when Dealing with Change It doesnt really matter whether you grip the arms of the dentists chair or let them lie in your lap. The drill drills on. C S Lewis
2. Believe in the Inherent Good of People I am kind of paranoid in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy. J D Salinger
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback It takes skill to be able to give harsh feedback that does not sting.
3. Provide Others with the Opportunity to Shine Education is a sexual disease. It makes you unsuitable It makes you unsuitable for a lot of jobs, and then you have the urge to pass it on. -Terry Pratchett
7. Dream of the Impossible What is now proved was once only imagined. William Blake
4. Feedback, Feedback, Feedback Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others. Fyodor Dostoyevsky
7. Dream of the Impossible The fulfillment is always in the wish. Soeren Kierkegaard
6. Commit to Success; But Dont be Afraid to Fail If you are not failing every now and then, than you are surely not doing anything very innovative. Woody Allen
7. Dream of the Impossible The dream is real my friends. The failure to realize it is the only unreality. Toni Cade Bambera
6. Commit to Success; But Dont Be Afraid to Fail Success breeds success; 10 times out of 10.
1.Dont Miss an Opportunity for Leadership A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds. Sir Francis Bacon
3. Provide Others with the Opportunity to Shine The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority. Kenneth Hartley Blanchard
7. Dream of the Impossible Mans mind, once stretched with a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions. Sri da Avabhas
2. Believe in the Inherent Good of People Of all the properties that belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of a formidable character. Henry Clay