Presentation on theme: "Launch List 1. Copy New Objectives 2. Copy New Homework 3. Have Guided reading from Friday out."— Presentation transcript:
Launch List 1. Copy New Objectives 2. Copy New Homework 3. Have Guided reading from Friday out
1. Identify the dictators of Germany, Italy and the Soviet Union (2) 2. Describe how those 3 dictators were similar. (3) 3. List lands that Germany and Italy invaded. (2)
Dictator A ruler who has complete control over a country
Totalitarian State Country in which a single party controls the government and every aspect of peoples lives
Dictators- Germany: Adolf Hitler Gives Hope to Germany Bread and Work (Arebeit und Brot!)
Arebeit und Brot!
Our Last Hope!
Workers! The Brain and the Fist! Vote for the Front Soldier Hitler!"
Hitler is building. Help him- buy german goods
Similar to the New Deal
Hitlers work programs Super highways (autobahn) Office buildings Gigantic sports stadiums Public housing MILITARY FACTORIES
Youth serves the Furher Mandatory to be part of the Hitler youth movement
Dictators- Italy Benito Mussolini School kids must recite Mussolini is always right
1. Who was the man who rose to power in the Soviet Union??
Dictators- Soviet Union Joseph Stalin
2. What happened to citizens in the Soviet union who criticized their government? -Criticism was severely punished -Sent to concentration camps -Sometimes murdered.
3. What were the 2 major goals of Stalins 5 year plans? 1.Modernize farming 2. Modernize industry
4. Who seized power in Italy in 1922? Benito Mussolini
4. Who seized power in Italy in 1922?
5. What political party gained power in Italy during this time? Fascist party
6. What lands did Italy invade in 1935? Northern Africa
6. What lands did Italy invade in 1935?
7. What was the British and French reaction to Italys invasion? The rest of the world stays out of it, fear of another World War
***Rise of Nazi Germany 8. Why did Germans dislike the Treaty of Versailles It blamed Germany for WW1, and forced them to pay for war
Treaty of Versailles 1919 Signed after World War 1, it aims revenge on Germany forces them to…. 1.Pay for World War 1- about 300 billion 1.Leads to depression in Germany 2.Hitler wont pay it…. 2. Reduce military Hitler Defies this 3. Give up colonies (Given to France/UK)
Reduce our military?
9. List 2 reasons Adolf Hitler was popular in Germany in the 1930s Powerful speaker- Uses depression anger Promises work and bread Believed Germany did not lose the war, Jews stabbed them in the back.
10. Define: Concentration Camp Prison for civilians who were enemies of the state
11. List 2 ways Hitler violated the Treaty of Versailles. Builds up military Invades Poland Czechoslovakia Moves troops to the Rhineland
***Military Rule in Japan 12. In the early 1930s who took power in Japan? Military Leaders
13. What lands did Japan invade and conquer in 1931? Manchuria (Northeast China)
14. Why were these lands valuable? Resources! Manchuria had Coal and iron
15. Why did a strong isolationist mood grip the United States at this time? Fear of another world war
16. Describe what the neutrality acts sought to accomplish Bans the selling of goods or loaning money to nations at war Warned Americans not to travel on ships of countries at war
Causes World War II ***M. VIPER***
1. Militarism of Germany Going against the treaty of Versailles Germany built up its military.
2. Versailles Treaty Germany was VERY ANGRY because they had to: 1. Pay for World War 1- about 300 billion 2. Reduce military 3. Give up colonies (Given to France/UK)
3. Isolationism **League of Nations failed to get involved. **United States could have stopped this conflict but wanted to stay out.
4. Poverty Because of the Great Depression Poverty (worse than in the USA) allowed for crazy leaders to come to power.
5. Expansionism Germany, Italy and Japan all invaded other lands to increase their power
6. Rise of Totalitarianism; Aggressive Dictators rose to power in Germany, Italy, and Japan