Presentation on theme: "T HE U SE OF T OPOGRAPHIC M AP S CALE 1:25.000 IN G EOGRAPHICAL N AMES V ALIDATION IN W EST J AVA, I NDONESIA Presented by: 1.Ratna Mayasari 2.Aji Putra."— Presentation transcript:
T HE U SE OF T OPOGRAPHIC M AP S CALE 1:25.000 IN G EOGRAPHICAL N AMES V ALIDATION IN W EST J AVA, I NDONESIA Presented by: 1.Ratna Mayasari 2.Aji Putra Perdana 3.Wildan Firdaus National Coordinating Agency for Survey and Mapping (BAKOSURTANAL)
GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES Also called toponyms, is the name given to the topographical elements. Topographical elements are elements that are part of the earth's surface which can be recognized or identity as natural and man-made elements, such as rivers, lakes, mountains, villages and dams.
GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES STANDARDIZATION is the process of defining a standard geographical name by authorized institutions both nationally and internationally.
• to achieve orderly administration in the field of geographical names standardization in Indonesia, • to ensure the orderly administration of the territory within the framework of the Unitary Republic of Indonesia (NKRI), • to realize the national gasetir in order to make uniform geographical names in Indonesia, • to achieve the accurate data and information regarding the geographical names throughout the NKRI, both for national and international development interests.
• Inventory of the number and name of the administrative region conducted by the Directorate General of PUM Kemdagri and preparation of the geospatial information carried by the Bakosurtanal, in this regard by the staff toponimi under the Center of Topographic Base Mapping. • Technical preparation includes checking the number of map sheet number and scale of the maps are available for the study area. Then do an inventory of map sheet number and do registration for a topographical map sheets which have been scanned or digital data which is already have simple cartographic layout. • The local team prepared the data which willl be compiled with data from the national team PREPARATION
Topograhic Map Toponym Form
• Meeting about geographical names standardization. National teams consisting of Dirjen PUM Kemdagri, Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (KKP), Ditop AD and Bakosurtanal is divided into six groups for doing the validation of geographical names in the region of West Java Province. EXECUTION
• After the form is filled, it will be validated and compiled by the national teams. Then the tabular data will be processed and combined with geospatial data that can be built into a database for toponym. These database can be further processed into gazetteer. FINALIZATION
• Number of regencies/cities from the Administration Boundary Data (Bakosurtanal) is equal to the number of sub-districts / cities which are validated. • There are differences in sub-district number between sub-district boundary data and validation result data due to regional growth. For example, number of sub-district in Garut district. In Bakosurtanal administration boundary data, Garut still have 31 sub-district, but from the validation result Garut have 42 sub-district now.
• There are differences of the administration area type between Bakosurtanal's data and validation results. For example, City of Tasikmalaya, some areas was recorded as the desa on map, but from the validation results is found all areas of the city has turned into a kelurahan (because most of kelurahan formerly get into the Tasikmalaya regency).
CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS • Geographical name must be standardized because it is a direct access point and intuitive to other sources of information, which can help to decision making. • The results of the validation optimally used as input in the change of name in Indonesia for updating topographical map. • As for suggestions for the next validation, it is necessary to give a note on the validation results (especially on their spatial data) to determine whether changes in the office location caused by displacement from the initial position on a map or other cause.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS We would like to express our sincere thanks to: • The Head and colleagues of Center for Topographic Base Mapping • Ditjen PUM Kemdagri (ministry of internal affairs) • Implementation Team and • The Secretariat of the National Team of Geographical Names Standardization in Indonesia
REFERENCES Mayasari, Ratna and Juniati, Eli, 2010, Report on Geographical Names Validation of West Java Province Administration Areas, Center for Topographic Base Mapping-Bakosurtanal, Cibinong, Bogor, Indonesia (Unpublished). Ditjen PUM, 2010, Geographical Names Standardization Policy, Toponym Bulletin Volume I No.1, February 2010, ISSN: 2086-311X. Bakosurtanal, Cibinong, Bogor, Indonesia. Presidential Regulation (Perpres) No.112/2006 about National Team of Geographical Names Standardization. Websites:http:www.bakosurtanal.go.id/Bakosurtanal%20%20Tata%20Nama%20Rupabumi.htm accessed on Sept 10 th 2011 Websites:http:www.bakosurtanal.go.id/Bakosurtanal%20%20Pentingnya%20Pembakuan%20Nama- nama%20Rupabumi.htm accessed on Sept 10 th 2011