Presentation on theme: "Todays objectives IVF class debate Decompress a bit after TIA."— Presentation transcript:
Todays objectives IVF class debate Decompress a bit after TIA
IVF: In Vitro Fertilization
Artificial insemination vs IVF Artificial insemination – Used to treat certain kinds of infertility – Sperm are inserted directly into a womans cervix, fallopian types, or uterus IVF – Women are given hormones to increase egg release – Eggs are harvested – Eggs are fertilized – Eggs MAY be implanted – Other embryos may be donated, destroyed, or saved, or used for research
Are we clear on IVF?
Are we clear on NORMAL fertilization?
Pre-write prompt IVF allows eggs and sperm to be combined and then screened for either chromosomal abnormalities or other abnormalities more difficult to detect. It is performed when people are having trouble getting pregnant, or if people have concern about passing on a certain genetic condition, or if someone is at a higher risk of a chromosomal issue Some people are opposed to this procedure, or certain uses or consequences. Unused embryos may be destroyed, saved, shared/donated with others, or used for stem cell research
Pre-write Prewrite: 1. Clearly indicate your position on IVF in general, giving at least three reasons to support your feeling and opinion. 2. IVF is done, despite your preference one way or another. What do you think should be done with extra embryos? Explain why. 3. Come up with AT LEAST one question related to the topic. (After weve discussed my questions, we will be open to discuss student questions/prompts, and sharing one of these can count as your participation)
Do we remember the rules? Most important – You DO NOT need to raise your hand to speak, but please do not interrupt others – EVERYONE needs to speak! (There were lots of 0s in my 3 rd period) – Consider this a time to speak about issues, and to demonstrate our knowledge and opinion respectfully, NOT to argue!
For 2 nd period After writing the pre write (the 3 questions), answer #1-4 on the next slides. They should be thoughtful, careful responses that show you are thinking carefully about the topic.
1. Is it morally acceptable to use IVF to screen for genetic disorders? -It IS morally acceptable to use IVF to screen for genetic disorders b/c… -While I understand some objections to using IVF for screening… -Respectfully to _______, I do not feel it is acceptable to use IVF to screen for genetic disorders b/c…
2. Is it morally acceptable to use IVF to select gender? I believe it is acceptable to use IVF to select gender, because… – In some cases, the randomness may have given a family a lot of one gender and none of another… I do NOT believe it is acceptable to use IVF to select for gender because – … selecting for gender may lead to… – … what if our parents had…
3. Is it morally acceptable to use IVF to screen for certain traits unrelated to health? (Examples would be eye color, hair color, physical appearance, height, etc)
4. Regardless of whether you support IVF or not, it is still a procedure that is performed. Once an embryo has been selected and used, the rest of the embryos still exist. What should be done with them? (You can suggest what could be done with them, or argue against something that is done with them)
5. Infertility is a growing problem. Imagine a sci-fi scenario where NO ONE could get pregnant unless IVF was used, and only ~40% of females aged produced viable eggs, BUT ~99% of women aged could CARRY a fertilized embryo to term. In this scenario, if the population was rapidly and drastically shrinking, how should population and reproduction be handled?
6. Student Questions/topic suggestions?
Post-write Now that weve discussed IVF, 1.Indicate if your position on IVF is the same, or if it has changed, 2.Indicate AT LEAST two things that have either changed your mind, or helped you understand a different position. 3.Indicate your position on what should be done with unused, fertilized embryos
The fertilized embryos can be manipulated/changed as well… this is what we will focus on in our next unit: Genetic Manipulation