2Why is color a physical property? Color can be observed without changing the object.
32. What is a physical property that does not change with the amount of matter? Melting point, boiling point and density do not change with the amount of matter.
43. What happens during a physical change? The appearance of matter change, but the composition does not change.
54. What type of change is a change of state? A physical change
65. What happens during a chemical change? During a chemical change, substances are change into different substances.
76. What are three clues that a chemical change has occurred? Change in color, loss or gain of energy, change of smell and production of a gas or a solid
87. What is an examples of a chemical change? Possible answers could include anything burning, rusting or tarnishing. Other answers are also possible given teacher approval.
98. What is the law of conservation of mass? The law of conservation of mass states that the total mass of matter is the same before and after a physical or chemical change.
109. What changes when the mass of an object increases while the volume stays the same? A. ColorB. LengthC. DensityD. HeightAnswer = C, density
1110. What word best describes the type of materials that attract iron? A. MagneticB. ChemicalC. MassD. PhysicalAnswer = A, magnetic
1211. Which is an example of a chemical property? A. ColorB. MassC. DensityD. Ability to burnAnswer = D, ability to burn
1312. Which is an example of a physical change? A. Metal rustingB. Silver tarnishingC. Water boilingD. Paper burningAnswer = C, water boiling
1413. What characteristic best describes what happens during a physical change? A. Composition changesB. Composition stays the sameC. Form stays the sameD. Mass is lostAnswer = B, composition stays the same
1514. Which is an example of a chemical change? A. Water freezesB. Wood is carvedC. Bread is bakedD. Wire is bentAnswer = C, bread is baked
1615. Which is NOT a clue that could indicate a chemical change? A. Change in colorB. Change in shapeC. Change in energyD. Change in odorAnswer = B, change in shape
1716. What property stay the same during physical and chemical changes? A. DensityB. ShapeC. MassD. Arrangement of particlesAnswer = C, mass
1817. What kind of change is taking place when you cut a piece of cake from the whole? Answer: physical change
1918. What kind of change is taking place when a candle is being burnt? Answer = a chemical change
20What could you do to an object to cause a chemical change? A. Cut itB. Paint itC. Throw itD. Burn itAnswer = d, burn it
21Which of the following physical properties is size dependent? A. DensityB. MassC. VolumeD. WeightAnswer = A, density
22Which of the following choices describes a physical change? A. Pouring an acid onto calcium carbonateB. Dropping an antacid tablet into waterC. Heating water to its boiling pointD. Pouring vinegar onto baking sodaAnswer = c, heating water to its boiling point
23Which of the following occurs as you heat a liquid to its boiling point? A. CondensationB. MeltingC. VaporizationD. FreezingAnswer = c, vaporization
24Which of the following is a chemical reaction? A. Making ice cubesB. Toasting breadC. Slicing a carrotD. Boiling waterAnswer = b, toasting bread
25When you making and eat scrambled eggs, many changes occur to the eggs When you making and eat scrambled eggs, many changes occur to the eggs. Which of the following best describes a chemical change?A. Crack the eggsB. Scramble the eggsC. Cook the eggsD. Chew the eggsAnswer = C, Cook the eggs
26What is the formula that should be used to find density? Answer = D = m ÷ v(Density = mass divided by volume)
27Tell me at least 3 physical properties. Answer = Physical properties include: state, color, shape, smell, taste and texture, mass, volume, density, melting point and boiling point.
28What happens if vaporization or condensation occurs? Answer = substance changes from a liquid to a gas
29What is sublimation?Answer = when a solid changes directly to a gas
30What is deposition?Answer = when a gas changes to a solid without ever becoming a liquid
31Fill in the blanks:If I observe the color of a leaf, I am looking at its _____________. When leaves change color in the fall, it is a ________________.Answer = physical property; chemical change
32What does the law of conservation of mass say? Answer = the law of conservation of mass says that mass cannot be created or destroyed during physical and chemical changes that take place.