Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

International Student Orientation University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Fall 2013.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "International Student Orientation University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Fall 2013."— Presentation transcript:

1 International Student Orientation University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Fall 2013

2 OIE Office Dempsey Hall (Second Floor)

3 Office of International Education Jenna Graff, Office of International Education Director Vicki Anderson, Front-line Advisor Amy Jacobson, Intensive English Language Coordinator Sarah Christensen, International Student Advisor Mary Reinke, Program Manager TBA, Study Abroad Advisor Emily Hoffman, National Student Exchange & Hessen Program Coordinator

4 Academic Calendar FALL SEMESTER 2013 Monday- Friday August 26-30 New International Student Orientation Week MondaySeptember 2 LEGAL HOLIDAY – LABOR DAY WednesdaySeptember 4 Begin 1st 7-week; 14-week term TuesdayOctober 22 End 1st 7-week term WednesdayOctober 23 Begin 2nd 7-week term Wednesday – Sunday November 27 – December 1 Thanksgiving Recess Note: Recess begins after evening classes on November 26 MondayDecember 2 Classes Resume FridayDecember 13 End 2nd 7-week; 14-week term SaturdayDecember 14 COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY Monday*January 6, 2014 Begin 3-week Interim MondayJanuary 20 LEGAL HOLIDAY – MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DAY – NO CLASSES MondayJanuary 24 End 3-week Interim; end of semester -- Official Graduation Date *Fall Interim: classes will meet on January 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; 13, 14, 15, 16, 17; 21, 22, 23, 24.

5 Contact and Telephone Information Office of International Education TEL: +1 (920) 424-0775 FAX: +1 (920) 424-0185 EMAIL: WEBSITE: University Police (920) 424-1212 EMERGENCY (920) 424-1216 non-emergencies Important Telephone Numbers 911 – General Nationwide Emergency Telephone - FREE CALL within the U.S. to call for an ambulance, fire truck, or police for a life threatening emergency. 0 – Operator 411 – General information on telephone numbers and addresses within your area code

6 Student Services UW Oshkosh Student Email Email Check your campus email OFTEN! OIE will send out e-newsletters, announcements, and important information regularly – these are the most important emails to read! Please see Sarah at a break if you have not already logged into your Titan Mail account.

7 Student Services University ID Meal plan card Library card Free city bus pass Access card for the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC) ATM and PIN based Debit Card (Optional U.S. Bank Account) Door access card for some Residence Halls and computer labs Sports pass for regular season Titan athletic events Declining balance (debit) account for on campus purchases Titan Card Campus ID 0123456 STUDENT

8 Student Services Do I have to live on-campus? You are required to live on campus if you are one of the following: Freshman student and/or sophomore students, who have not earned 60 or more credits as of the first day of classes. If you are not a veteran, married, or living with parent(s) or guardian. Exchange student

9 Student Services Off-Campus Housing Some students prefer to live off campus, but you are responsible for finding this on your own. YOUR RESONSIBILITY AS A RENTER You are responsible for the following: Cleaning your own apartment/room Removing trash Recycling all necessary materials. Observe quiet hours after 10:00 PM by lowering the volume on radios, TV, audio equipment, and your voice.

10 Student Services – Postal Services On Campus –Titan Central – serves as the United States Postal Service mail and shipping center 7:30am – 9pm Monday through Thursday, 7:30am – 8pm Friday 9am – 8pm Saturday 12pm – 9pm Sunday, except during University holidays –Each dorm has mailboxes, one for each room, located near the front desk. Students will be given a key to their mailbox at check-in. Each student will be responsible for turning in the key at the end of the semester or year. If you receive a package and live on-campus, the front desk will put a notice in your mailbox and you can pick up your package by showing them your Titan ID.

11 Financial Information IT IS NOT SAFE TO CARRY LARGE AMOUNTS OF CASH. –Deposit your money in a CHECKING ACCOUNT so that you may write checks or use a debit card as you need cash. UW Credit Union –Bank on campus –Titan Card will be connected for ATM withdrawals STATE SALES TAX –In the state of Wisconsin, this is 5.0%. This is added to the purchase price of most articles; the tax IS NOT included on the price tag. Please note that counties or municipalities may add an extra tax to this in addition to the 5.0% state sales tax.

12 Financial Information: U.S. Currency Coins Penny = 1¢Nickel = 5¢Dime = 10¢Quarter = 25¢ 100¢ = $1.00 One Dollar Note George Washington One Dollar Note Great Seal of the United States Currency Two Dollar Note Thomas Jefferson Two Dollar Note The Declaration of Independence Five Dollar Note Abraham Lincoln Five Dollar Note The Lincoln Memorial Ten Dollar Note Alexander Hamilton Ten Dollar Note U.S. Treasury Twenty Dollar Note Andrew Jackson Twenty Dollar Note The White House Fifty Dollar Note Ulysses S. Grant Fifty Dollar Note U.S. Capitol One Hundred Dollar Note Benjamin Franklin One Hundred Dollar Note Independence Hall

13 Employment

14 On-Campus Employment International students in valid F-1 or J-1 status are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on-campus while enrolled as full-time students. On-campus employment is not guaranteed. In order to work on campus, you will need a social security number.

15 Employment SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER Talk to Sarah if you get an on-campus job and need to get a Social Security Number. You CANNOT get a Social Security Number if you do not get a job.


17 Off-Campus Employment Curricular Practical Training (CPT): An F-1 student is eligible to engage in temporary employment, which is an integral or important part of his/her curriculum. Curricular practical training (CPT) may include internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum, which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. Eligibility for CPT: Student must have been in lawful status for at least one academic year. The work must be related to the major field of study and be an integral part of your college program

18 Off-Campus Employment Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Talk to Sarah if you find an off-campus job related to your major after you have studied in the U.S. for one or more years. You will also need to: Complete a CPT Application form which needs to be signed by a faculty/academic advisor. Receive an Employment Letter from your supervisor with specific details about the job position. You must obtain written authorization from the Office of International Education before you begin work. UNATHORIZED EMPLOYMENT IS AN AUTOMATIC SEVIS TERMINATION, AND A RED FLAG IN THE SEVIS SYSTEM.

19 Off-Campus Employment Optional Practical Training (OPT) An F-1 student may be eligible to engage in temporary employment for practical training in her/his field of study after completion of studies. The following conditions must be met to be eligible for OPT: Student must have been in lawful status for at least one full academic year Employment must be directly related to your major field of study and degree Application must be made within the period of 90 days before and 60 days following degree completion date Student must have a valid passport NOTE: Students apply for CPT while in school after they have received a job offer. Students apply for OPT in their last semester of school and do not need to have a job offer at the time of application.

20 Off-Campus Employment CPT vs. OPT CPT: Students apply for CPT while in school after they have received a job offer in a field related to their course of study. CPT: The application process and update in SEVIS takes approximately two weeks. OPT: Students apply for OPT in their final semester of school and do not need to have a job offer at the time of application. OPT: The application process and update in SEVIS takes approximately two to three months. YOU MUST PLAN AHEAD!!!

21 US Immigration Regulations

22 SEVIS: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System SEVIS Questions & Answers What is SEVIS? SEVIS is an internet-based system that allows schools and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to exchange data on the visa status of international students. Accurate and current information is transmitted electronically throughout an F-1 or J-1 student's academic career and J-1 scholar's stay in the United States. U.S. embassies and consulates also have access to SEVIS. IN GENERAL TERMS: SEVIS is the immigration database that authorized employees can view and update your immigration record.

23 SEVIS: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System How does SEVIS work? 1. UW Oshkosh admits an international student and creates an individual SEVIS record which generates an I-20 or DS-2019. 2.The student visits the U.S. consulate/embassy abroad, and the visa officer confirms through SEVIS that the I-20 or DS-2019 is a valid document. 3.A Department of Homeland Security officer at the airport reports in SEVIS that the student legally entered the U.S. 4.The student reports to their International Student Advisor with proper documentation, and the school updates the SEVIS record. 5.The International Student Advisor continues to update SEVIS as necessary throughout the student's academic career.

24 Basic U.S. Immigration Regulations Maintaining Lawful Status In order to maintain lawful F-1 and J-1 student status, you must: Keep your passport valid at all times Attend the school you are authorized to attend Continue to pursue a full course of study (Audited classes do not count as earned hours.) Follow DHS procedures for moving from one educational level to another (i.e., from Bachelors to Masters), and for transferring from one school to another. Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week when school is in session. Refrain from off-campus employment without proper authorization.

25 Basic U.S. Immigration Regulations Maintaining Lawful Status Things to remember to keep you in status: You must be a full-time student every semester with the possible exception of your final semester. You may not attend other schools without proper authorization. You are responsible for the dates on your I-20/DS-2019 and to apply for a transfer or program extension in a timely manner. You are responsible to follow the employment regulations. You must report changes such as an address, name, major, etc. change within 10 days of the change to Sarah..

26 Basic U.S. Immigration Regulations Maintaining Lawful Status Full-time student Earn a minimum of hours each semester (except summer) 12 credit hours for Undergraduate Students 9 credit hours for Graduate Students without a Graduate Assistantship 6 credit hours for Graduate Students with a Graduate Assistantship You are allowed to be less than full-time in your final semester but need proper authorization. See Sarah for this document which needs to be signed by a faculty or academic advisor.

27 Possible Consequences You will be out of status which means you must apply for reinstatement or leave the country. Denial of re-entry to the U.S. Inability to move from undergraduate to graduate status Denial of requests for practical training and denial of requests to change visa status Possible denial of all future visa applications

28 Basic U.S. Immigration Regulations Change in Level of Study If an F-1 student will be moving from one level of study to another at the same institution (i.e., from Bachelors to Masters) a new I-20 form is required. Admission processing, including issuing a new I-20, for graduate students is done by the Graduate School. Transfer of Schools After a student has completed the application process and been admitted to a new school, the student should contact the International Student Advisor about his/her intention to transfer. The student will need to provide a copy of the official admissions letter and complete a SEVIS Transfer Form.

29 Basic U.S. Immigration Regulations Visits Outside the U.S.: If you plan a trip outside the U.S. and plan to return to the U.S. using your student visa, you must make sure that all of the necessary documents are in order. You will need: (a) A passport valid to cover the planned return date (b) A visa valid to cover the planned return (c) You must have a current travel signature by the International Advisor on your I-20 or DS-2019 form (every 6-9 months).

30 Basic U.S. Immigration Regulations Recommended supporting documents when traveling abroad UW Oshkosh unofficial transcript to verify school enrollment Financial documents You should especially bring these items if you are applying for a new visa. In many cases, you will need to obtain a visa to enter countries other than the U.S. You should contact the Embassy of the country you plan to visit as far in advance as possible. You may even need a special visa to transfer planes in some countries. The Office of International Education cannot help you plan personal trips or advise you on how to obtain visas to other countries.

31 Using the ISS Website ANY QUESTIONS???

Download ppt "International Student Orientation University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Fall 2013."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google