Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Natural Gas Aundrea Issakhanian, Anais Stepanian, Andrew Nazarian, Kevin Samkian.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Natural Gas Aundrea Issakhanian, Anais Stepanian, Andrew Nazarian, Kevin Samkian."— Presentation transcript:

1 Natural Gas Aundrea Issakhanian, Anais Stepanian, Andrew Nazarian, Kevin Samkian

2 What is it? -Natural gas is a clean- burning fuel produced by deposits of methane from within the Earths crust.

3 History and Politics 500 B.C., the Chinese started using crude bamboo pipelines to transport gas that seeped to the surface and to use it to boil sea water to get drinkable water. 1785,first commercialized natural gas in Britain from coal to light streets. 1816, Baltimore, Maryland became the first city in the US to light its streets with gas. 1821, William Hart dug the first successful natural gas well in the U.S. in Fredonia, New York. The Fredonia Gas Light Company was formed, becoming the first American natural gas distribution company. 1836, Philadelphia created the first municipally owned natural gas distribution company.

4 Physics (How it works) the turbines suck in air, mix it with the fuel and ignite a fireball. The hot gases from the fireball impact the blades of the turbine to cause motion, creating mechanical energy. The turbine, connected to a generator by a shaft, spins and powers the generator. exhaust gases from the combustion engine are carried into a Heat Recovery Steam Engine (HRSE), where cold water is being pumped in through pipes. The engine uses the heat of the exhaust gases or flue gases to convert water into steam. it is sent to a steam turbine. The pressurized steam travels over the blades of the turbine and causes it to spin. This motion, mechanical energy, is what powers the generator.

5

6 Production and Use California- 85% of its supply from American Southwest, Rocky Mountains, and Canada. remaining 15% is produced in-state (second most widely used source of energy USA- marketed gas production for 2013 was 25,614,124 million cubic ft in comparison to 128,000 million cubic ft in 1900 (worlds largest producer) Global- Gross Natural Gas Production= 147,476 billion cubic feet(2012) World natural gas production increased by 1.9% in 2012 and consumption increased by a below-average 2.2%.

7

8

9 Is it effective? clean, efficient, cost effective, and abundant, produces less pollution and fewer greenhouse gasses than its counterparts natural gas emits 45 percent LESS CO2 than electricity and nearly 30 percent LESS CO2 than fuel oil. Secure source since 92% is coming from the United States (99% from north America) operates 14 gas units

10

11

12

13

14 Effects on Environment burning of natural gas produces nitrogen oxides and carbon oxides, but in lower quantities than coal and oil natural gas produces half as much carbon dioxide, less than a third as much nitrogen oxides, and one percent as much sulfur oxides at the power plant Extraction could cause erosion, loss of soil productivity, and landslides.

15

16 Shortcomings and Solutions Leaks not easily detectible Still does create greenhouse gases Toxic and flammable

17 Bibliography gas.html gas.html asp asp &aid=1 &aid=1


Download ppt "Natural Gas Aundrea Issakhanian, Anais Stepanian, Andrew Nazarian, Kevin Samkian."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google