Presentation on theme: "SIX THINGS YOU CAN DO TOMORROW TO CREATE AN EXEMPLARY SCHOOL Allan R. Bonilla,Ed.D School-principal.com"— Presentation transcript:
SIX THINGS YOU CAN DO TOMORROW TO CREATE AN EXEMPLARY SCHOOL Allan R. Bonilla,Ed.D School-principal.com email@example.com
1. Increasing Your Visibility What can you do when you get back to school? Hallways Cafeteria (accessibility) Dismissal AM Visibility (Where, How, Why?)
It Means A Lot To Teachers And Others To See Their Principal In The Corridors, In The Cafeteria, And At After School Functions.
Whats Your Typical Day? Hours In Office? Hours In Classrooms? Hours Out & About?
Helping Teachers And Students How Does What You Do In The Office Help Teachers And Students? How Does What You Do Visiting Classrooms Help Teachers And Students? How Does What You Do Wandering Around Help Teachers And Students?
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832) The Things That Matter Most Should Never Be At The Mercy Of The Things That Matter Least. -Goethe
2. Delegating The Strengths Way Marcus Buckingham: G o Put Your Strengths To Work All New Managers At Toyota Must Now Attend A Three Day Great Manager Training Program That Shows Them How To Spot The Strengths Of Their Subordinates. All New Managers At Yahoo Are Required To Take An Online Survey That Measures Their Talents And Pinpoints Their Strongest.
More from Buckingham…. The Value Of The Employees Lies In Their Creativity, Innovation, And Good Judgment. None Of Us, Though, Is Creative, Or Innovative, Or Has Good Judgment In Every Single Aspect Of Our Work. -simplystrengths.com
People, Places, The Things They Do and The Times They Do Them ! Getting The Right People In Place Who Have The Talent And Capability To Get The Work Done And Letting Them Do It. -Clarence Otis, Jr. Darden Restaurants (Capital Grille, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Longhorn Steakhouse) -From N.Y. Times June 2009
Self Questioner Who Are Your Closest Support People? 1--------------- 2--------------- 3--------------- What Are They Best At? What Are Their Strengths? 1-------------- 2-------------- 3--------------
3. CELEBRATING EVERYDAY (1918-2001) There Are Two Things People Want More Than Sex & Money…and Thats: Recognition & Praise -Mary Kay Ash
Neila Connors Great Leaders Know The Importance Of Job Satisfaction. Employees Want To Feel Appreciated, Respected, Empowered, And Valued. -Neila Connors
A Nice Note A Nice Note In My Box On A Random Thursday Means More Than The Time I Won The Gold Star Award Because It Was My Turn. -teachermagazine.org 6/08
Management Management Is Nothing More Than Motivating Other People. -Lee Iacocca
WHAT CELEBRATIONS WILL YOU BRING BACK TO YOUR SCHOOL? Honor Roll Programs Report Card Pick-up Birthday Cards Students On TV Attendance Recognition
Keeping Your People Pumped -Jack & Suzy Welch, Business Week March 27, 2006 Leadership: Before.. Its About You… After.. Its About Others
The Nature Of Relationships Four Years Of Public School Teaching…and Ten Years As A Principal…convinces Me That The Nature Of Relationships Among Adults Who Inhabit A School Has More To Do With A Schools Quality And Character, With The Accomplishments Of Its Pupils And The Professionalism Of Its Teachers Than Any Other Factor. -Roland Barth Author & Founder Of Harvards Principals Center
Caring! I Dont Care How Much You Know Until I Know How Much You Care. ( Unknown)
4. Conducting Walk-Throughs The Smart Way Who Does Walk-throughs? Principal Asst. Principals Deans Dept. Heads How Many Are Done Per Day?
Learning Walks: Observations Type Of Instruction Whats Really Going On Student Participation Student Work Materials Attractiveness
Follow-Up… Chat With Teachers Connect With Students Supplies, Materials Maintenance
School Management By Larry Frase & Robert Hetzel
Different Attitude I Have A Different Attitude About Working For This Principal Because He Actually Notices How Hard I Work And Lets Me Know That He Sees What I Do. -teachermagazine.org 6/08
Remember……….. TEACHERS WANT TO SEE YOU. STUDENTS WANT TO SEE YOU. PARENTS WANT TO SEE YOU.
5. ASK DONT TELL The Four Most Important Words… What Do You Think? (How Often Do We Ask This?) If You Dont Feed The Teachers They Eat The Students, By Neila Connors -Questions?????
Leadership Coaching In Leadership Coaching, We Learn To Ask Powerful Questions In Order To Encourage Creative Thinking And To Bring Out The Brilliance In Others. We Ask How & What Questions Rather Than Why. How Can We Accomplish This? What Do You Need? Why Did You Do That?
Block Scheduling Process Surveyed Literature Asked About Concerns Visited Successful Campuses Shared Information Conducted Trial Surveyed Staff
6. WALK THE TALK A Leader Leads By Example, Whether He Intends To Or Not. (Unknown) We Teach What We Live. (Unknown) If Youre Working In A Company That Is NOT Enthusiastic, Energetic, Creative, Clever, Curious, And Just Plain Fun, Youve Got Troubles, Serious Troubles. -Tom Peters
Set The Example Dress Humor Mood Compassion Trusting Life Long Learner
Teachers-What Effective Principals Do Bringing Out The Best In Teachers- What Effective Principals Do -Joseph Blasé & Peggy Kirby
Truly Authentic Leadership -Bill George, Harvard Business School Traits: Purpose With Passion Solid Values Hearts & Heads Relationships Self-discipline
Have A Personal Talk! Have A Personal Talk With Every Staff Member, Asking Questions Like: Whats Going Right In This School? What Can Be Improved? How Can I Help You Do A Better Job? Teachermagazine.Org 6/08