Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

You are about to embark on the experience of a lifetime and we are excited for you! Before you go, you will need to make lots of preparations. Taking this.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "You are about to embark on the experience of a lifetime and we are excited for you! Before you go, you will need to make lots of preparations. Taking this."— Presentation transcript:

1 You are about to embark on the experience of a lifetime and we are excited for you! Before you go, you will need to make lots of preparations. Taking this online orientation seriously will help you better prepare yourself for your year abroad. We encourage you to read each topic carefully. Refer to your Participant Guide for more information.

2 If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you must apply in person. More information: 1738.html. 1738.html You must have a passport to leave from and return to the United States.

3 A visa is an immigration document that gives you permission to enter a country for a specific purpose and for a specified period of time. (Were not talking about a credit card!) Read your IP Participant Guide for specific information about the visa application procedures for your host country.

4 In recent years, applying for and obtaining a visa has become increasingly complex. The United States and many other countries have strengthened their requirements, increasing the scrutiny they give all applications and, as a consequence, lengthened the processing time. OIP does not set the rules or control the visa application process. This is a request from you to a foreign government. The California State University cannot act on your behalf or intervene with the foreign government and will not be able to speed up processing or alter the rules. In nearly all cases, CSU students are issued visas in time to participate in their study abroad programs. In some cases there may be delays; in very rare cases, students have been denied visas. The visa application process is entirely your responsibility. Please follow instructions provided by OIP exactly and carefully. Also read your host countrys Consular website for updates. Remember: no one has the right to a visa.

5 Because visas can take a long time to process, you are advised not to travel internationally prior to your IP program start date. Work carefully with your travel agent to ensure that your airline ticket is changeable, just in case you do not have your visa and passport back when expected.

6 You are responsible for making your own transportation arrangements to your host university abroad.

7 There are group flights to five countries: China, France (Aix-en-Provence, not Paris), Ghana, Japan and Spain. Information is included in the online packet students receive from OIP. It is also available at: Participation in the group flight (where it is offered) is voluntary, except for China,Ghana and Jaén, Spain. Students going to China,Ghana and Jaén are required to participate in the group flight.

8 If you want to participate in the Group Flight, you must contact Frosch Student Travel, submit your reservation form and pay for your flight yourself. Frosch Student Travel Click on Group Travel in the top right-hand corner (log in with csip (all lowercase) 1-800-467-5032

9 If your IP program does not offer a group flight, you are responsible for making your own flight arrangements. Travel Agencies Specializing in Student Travel that you may want to consider are: Frosch Student TravelSTA Travel 1-800-467-50321-800-781-4040

10 The Resident Director or a host university representative will meet the group flights at the airport and provide ground transportation, except for Tkusuba students who take a train directly to campus. Students who travel independently must arrange their own ground transportation. Read your IP Participant Guide for more information. Some host institutions offer an airport pick-up service. If your host university offers such service, they will tell you about it in your letter of admission.

11 In general, you will find that what students wear in California is acceptable overseas, taking into account the local climate. Airlines will charge extra for large items, (bicycles, skis). There is a weight limit for luggage. Contact your airline for details. The best advice is: Take half as much as you think youll need. Take a carry-on to include what you might need for a couple of days in case your luggage is delayed. You must be able to carry your own luggage.

12 The USA operates on 110 volts. Most of the rest of the world operates on 220 volts. This means that, when you plug an American appliance into a foreign outlet, the result is a damaged appliance. In order to use your electrical appliances in most foreign countries, you will need to use converters and adapters. Note: Most modern technological devices, such as laptops and cell phone chargers, have dual voltage, so you most likely will not need a converter for such things. You may only need the adapter to plug it into the wall. World Electric Guide:

13 The CSU International Programs is a study abroad program. IP is not travel abroad, it is study abroad. All coursework taken abroad will appear as regular CSU resident credit on your CSU transcript. Grades earned on IP will be calculated in your CSU cumulative GPA.

14 While studying abroad as an IP participant: You are concurrently enrolled at your home CSU campus and your host university. You do not register for any classes at your home CSU campus while away. CSU home campus registration is handled by OIP. You cannot enroll in on-line courses offered by any CSU campus while an IP participant.

15 By now, you should be familiar with the IP Bulletin, the IP catalog, which provides a listing of the kinds of courses offered at our program sites overseas. You can view the IP Bulletin for your country on the IP website under Admitted Students.

16 Since there are some academic formalities that may be difficult to take care of once you are overseas, you should take care of the following things before you go: Take all English & Mathematics Proficiency Exams. Change/Add a major or minor. File a petition for course substitutions or waivers. Clear up any incomplete grades.

17 Prior to departure, confer with your home CSU campus advisors regarding your academic plans for the year abroad and agree on how you will communicate during the year. During the year, the Resident Director, the IP Onsite Program Assistant or the host university staff will assist you with course registration.

18 The CSU academic advisors role is to: Suggest appropriate courses that you can take abroad. Determine how those courses will be credited towards your degree. Guide you through the petitioning (course substitution) process at your campus. OIPs role is to: Report all courses attempted to your home CSU campus.

19 You can access the Academic Advisement Form in the Online Forms Packet. Complete the Academic Advisement Form in consultation with your home campus advisor(s). Submit the Academic Advisement Form to OIP and keep a copy for your records. Important!! This form will be used by OIP at the end of your year abroad to communicate the academic credit completed abroad to your home CSU campus.

20 Completion of the Academic Advisement form does not replace petitions (or course substitution requests) that might be required by your home campus in order to have courses taken abroad meet specific course requirements for your degree.

21 It is your responsibility to collect course information including syllabi and other materials from your instructors at your host university abroad. Upon return, you may need to show these to your home CSU campus advisors to secure CSU credit. Even with prior approval, you are strongly advised to keep your course syllabi, term papers, exams and any other pertinent materials from the courses you complete overseas, until you graduate.

22 Undergraduate students are required to carry a minimum course load equivalent of 15 semester units per term and a total of 30 semester units for the academic year, plus the Preparatory Language Program (PLP), where applicable. This requirement applies to all undergraduate students regardless of the number of units they need to graduate or the enrollment requirement of the host university if it differs from the IP requirement. Graduate students must complete the Preparatory Language Program (PLP), where applicable, and carry a minimum of 12 semester units per term, on condition that at least 6 of the 12 units are taken at the graduate level. Otherwise, they must carry a course load on the same basis as undergraduates.

23 You are subject to all academic regulations of your home CSU campuses as well as those of IP and the host institution abroad. Home CSU campus rules for academic probation and disqualification apply while you are an IP participant. You are expected to make normal academic progress and to maintain a GPA of at least 2.0. (Graduate students 3.0). Students who fail to meet these requirements or who do not successfully progress in the program are subject to probation or disenrollment.

24 OIP converts grades earned abroad to CSU equivalent grades. A grade will be reported for EACH course attempted abroad. Grades earned will be averaged in the cumulative GPA on your CSU transcript. No incomplete grades are awarded to IP participants. You must complete all course requirements in order to receive a regular grade. Students who fail to complete all course requirements by the end of the academic year at their host institution will receive a grade of WU, which is equivalent to an F and shall be computed as such in your CSU overall GPA.

25 Subject to home CSU campus restrictions, you may request to have one course reported CR/NC each academic term. Normally, the CR/NC option is not approved for academic major or minor requirements. CR/NC requests must be made at least one month prior to the final exam. CR/NC option does not apply to language acquisition courses in countries where the national language is not English, except where noted.

26 It can take a minimum of four months (and sometimes longer, depending on specific circumstances) for courses taken at your host university to be reported to your CSU campus. Graduating Seniors are given priority but seniors must go with the understanding that it may not be possible to graduate the term following their last semester abroad. Your Academic Report will be sent to your permanent home address. An official report will be sent to your home campus registrar/records office. Once they post your courses, units and grades, your CSU transcript becomes the official record of coursework taken abroad.

27 Students whose graduation depends on specific courses should note that course availability abroad cannot be guaranteed. Therefore, graduating seniors must be open to the idea of returning to their home campus for additional terms following their participation in IP. The rewards gained by studying abroad tremendously outweigh the disadvantages of a delayed graduation.

28 Remember to check your e-mail account on a regular basis for important messages from OIP. If you change your e-mail address, please inform OIP. Be mindful of academic deadline dates (i.e. add/drop deadlines, deadlines for submission of academic forms, such as credit/no credit grading forms). Read and review the Academic Arrangements section of your IP Participant Guide, as well as the IP Bulletin, now and while you are abroad.

29 No orientation can alert you to every potential difficulty, but we will provide you with some background so that you can make informed decisions, both as you prepare, and while youre abroad.

30 Read IP Literature. Read Consular Information Sheets. Read State Department Travel Information. Visit the Office of Tourism. Read the CDC Website.CDC Website Follow Current Events. Know the Gender Roles of your host country. Keep others informed of your whereabouts: Inform the office overseas of any travel plans. Stay in touch with your family.

31 Exercise & Eat Right. Rest. Limit Yourself to Your Own Abilities. Understand Your Health Insurance.

32 Participants are covered under a mandatory health insurance policy. You will automatically be enrolled in this insurance program. The cost is included in your IP Prepaid Costs. To avoid paying out-of-pocket for medical care, you must call Europ Assistance collect at: 202-659-7803 before the doctors visit. Otherwise, you must pay for doctor visits and prescriptions and file claims for reimbursement afterward. For emergencies, OIP can assist with payment. Then you must file a claim and reimburse OIP. The CSU policy does NOT cover pre-existing conditions.

33 If you should need emergency medical or travelers assistance while studying abroad on the IP program, your CSU policy includes emergency travel assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For further information on the services provided by Europ Assistance, please see the brochure, or contact them at: (202) 659-7803 (call collect) or Stacey Weeks at Alliant Insurance Services at (415) 403-1448 or

34 Learn the Local Customs and Laws. Discuss Health and Safety Issues with your family before you go and with the staff overseas when you arrive. Make Wise Choices.

35 Be aware that whenever a serious incident occurs to a CSU student abroad, nine times out of ten, one of these is a leading factor: Alcohol… Late at night… All alone... Alcohol diminishes your ability to make good decisions. Avoid doing activities alone or late at night if you can do them with friends or during the day.

36 Your personal health situation. Your personal habits. The activities you choose to engage in. The places you choose to go. Ultimately, YOU are the most qualified person to keep yourself HEALTHY and SAFE.

37 Look at your PROGRAM COST SHEET, located in the Participant Guide. Understand what Pre-paid Costs and Out-of-Pocket Expenses are and which expenses they cover. Read your Participant Guide for information about how to pay OIP for your IP Program Costs. Understand the value of your host countrys currency. What is the exchange rate against the U.S. dollar today? All students are advised to go abroad with enough money to cover 2 months worth of expenses. (Note: Students going to China may need 4-6 mos. rent upon arrival.)

38 If you are a financial aid recipient, talk to your Financial Aid Office at your home CSU campus and find out when and how you will be receiving your financial aid. Be sure to submit a copy of your financial aid award letter to OIP, and send OIP a new copy if your award is changed before you go abroad. You should have a back-up plan in case your financial aid is delayed.

39 OIP provides every participant with a copy of Maximizing Study Abroad: A Students Guide to Strategies for Language and Culture Learning and Use. We highly recommend that you make use of this resource to better understand culture. Take it with you and refer to it from time to time. You will find it more helpful than you can imagine.

40 Culture shock is real and most students do experience some level of culture shock, even if it is very small. The 4 stages of culture shock can be described as follows: The honeymoon : You arrive and youre in love with the place! Frustration and confusion: You become very critical of your host country and the way that things are done. You may even feel like packing up and going home! Homesickness can be overwhelming. Adjustment: You feel more comfortable and competent in the culture. You have positive feelings about interacting with the host nationals. Adaptation: You have a deep understanding of the role of culture in peoples lives and can accept differences. You interact effectively in the host culture now and may have adopted some of the values and customs of the host culture and made them your own. Be patient with yourself. Culture shock doesnt last forever.

41 Attitudes and tolerance toward LGBT issues vary from country to country. Some countries are more welcoming and legally protective than the U.S., while others may be less accepting and more restrictive. All students need to be aware of the legal issues related to sexuality in other countries. LGBT students need to inform themselves regarding the receptivity and social climate of the host country and may find this website helpful:

42 Mexican-Americans in Sweden…African-Americans in China…European-Americans in Ghana… You may be part of the majority in the United States, but you may learn what it feels like to be a minority when you travel abroad. Minorities face challenges all over the world. Study abroad alumni say that, more often than not, you will be judged by your citizenship as an American, than by your ethnicity. See this website for some useful insights: diversity_st_abroad01.pdf diversity_st_abroad01.pdf

43 I acknowledge that I have completed the Online Orientation and I know that: I must have a valid passport, and I may need to apply for a travel visa. I must arrange my own international travel. I do not register for classes at my home CSU campus. I must enroll in a minimum of 15 semester units per term while abroad. The IP health insurance policy has a $100 deductible per year. Alcohol diminishes ones ability to make good decisions. Travel can be dangerous. I am responsible for knowing the local customs and laws. My personal habits and my own decisions will have the greatest impact on my overall health and safety. I must have enough money at the beginning of the year to cover 2 months worth of living expenses. I must make arrangements for OIP to be paid for my Program Costs. If I am receiving financial aid, I will send OIP a copy of my financial aid award letter. I will send OIP a new copy if my award is changed. Culture Shock is real. I will make every effort to attend one of the IP Pre-departure Orientations here in California. I must sign and return the Online Orientation Acknowledgement (next page).

44 I acknowledge that I have completed the CSU International Programs Online Orientation. Name: ________________________________________ Please print:First nameLast name IP Country: _________________,__________________ CityCountry Signature: __________________ Date: ____________ Please complete this form & return to: CSU International Programs, 401 Golden Shore, 6 th Floor, Long Beach, CA 90802. This is due at least 2 weeks before your departure.

Download ppt "You are about to embark on the experience of a lifetime and we are excited for you! Before you go, you will need to make lots of preparations. Taking this."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google