We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byAustyn Works
Modified over 2 years ago
© 2008 Prentice-Hall, Inc. Decision Analysis
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 2 Decision Trees decision tree Any problem that can be presented in a decision table can also be graphically represented in a decision tree Decision trees are most beneficial when a sequence of decisions must be made decision points nodesstate-of-nature points nodes All decision trees contain decision points or nodes and state-of-nature points or nodes A decision node from which one of several alternatives may be chosen A state-of-nature node out of which one state of nature will occur
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 3 Five Steps to Decision Tree Analysis 1.Define the problem 2.Structure or draw the decision tree 3.Assign probabilities to the states of nature 4.Estimate payoffs for each possible combination of alternatives and states of nature 5.Solve the problem by computing expected monetary values ( EMV s) for each state of nature node
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 4 Structure of Decision Trees Trees start from left to right Represent decisions and outcomes in sequential order Squares represent decision nodes Circles represent states of nature nodes Lines or branches connect the decisions nodes and the states of nature
© 2008 Prentice-Hall, Inc. Each chance node must have branches that correspond to a set of mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive outcomes. Two outcomes are mutually exclusive (or disjoint) if the occurrence of one of the outcomes precludes the simultaneous occurrence of the other. If you make a list of the outcomes which can occur when you adopt a particular course of action then this list is said to be exhaustive if your list includes every possible outcome.
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 6 Double-Risk Dilemma Assume that you have a ticket that will let you participate in a game of chance (a lottery) that will pay off $10 with a 45% chance (or a 55% chance of nothing). Your friend has a ticket to a different lottery that has a 20% chance of paying $25 (or an 80% chance of nothing). Your friend has offered to let you have his ticket if you will give him your ticket plus $1. Should you agree to the trade and play to win $25, or should you keep your ticket?
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 7
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 8 Thompson Lumber Company STATE OF NATURE ALTERNATIVE FAVORABLE MARKET ($) UNFAVORABLE MARKET ($) Construct a large plant200,000–180,000 Construct a small plant100,000–20,000 Do nothing00 Table 3.1
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 9 Thompson s Decision Tree Favorable Market Unfavorable Market Favorable Market Unfavorable Market Do Nothing Construct Large Plant 1 Construct Small Plant 2 A Decision Node A State-of-Nature Node
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 10 Thompson s Decision Tree Favorable Market Unfavorable Market Favorable Market Unfavorable Market Do Nothing Construct Large Plant 1 Construct Small Plant 2 Alternative with best EMV is selected EMV for Node 1 = $10,000 = (0.5)($200,000) + (0.5)(–$180,000) EMV for Node 2 = $40,000 = (0.5)($100,000) + (0.5)(–$20,000) Payoffs $200,000 –$180,000 $100,000 –$20,000 $0 (0.5)
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 11 Texaco vs. Pennzoil In early 1984, Pennzoil and Getty Oil agreed to the terms of a merger. But before any formal documents could be signed, Texaco offered Getty Oil a substantially better price. Getty Oil agreed and sold to Texaco. In 1985, Pennzoil filed a lawsuit against Texaco. And won the case…awarded $11.0 billion. Texaco appealed court $10.3 billion. Texaco threat to file for bankruptcy if Pennzoil secured the judgment.
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 12 In 1987, Texaco offered to pay Pennzoil $2billion to settle the case. Pennzoil chairman indicated that a settlement between $2 and $5 billion would be fair. Should Pennzoil accepts or refuses and make a counteroffer of $5billion? Texaco Might 1- Accepts to pay $5 billion 2- Refuses and counteroffer of $3 billion 3- Refuses and goes to court
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 13
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 14
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 15 EMV = 4.56
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 16
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 17 EMV = 4.56
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 18
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 19
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 20 Decision Path: A path starting at the left most node up to the values at the end of a branch by selecting one alternative from a decision node or by following one outcome from uncertainty nodes. Decision Strategy: The collection of decision paths connected to a branch of the left most node by selecting one alternative from each decision node along these paths. Optimal Decision Strategy: That Decision Strategy which results in the highest EMV if we maximize profit and the lowest EMV if we minimize cost.
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 21
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 22 D1 =Accept 2 Billion
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 23 D2 = Counter 5 Billion, Refuse Counter of $3 Billion
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 24 D3 = Counter 5 Billion, Accept $3 Billion
© 2009 Prentice-Hall, Inc. 3 – 25 OPTIMAL DECISION STRATEGY Counteroffer $5 Billion. Next, if Texaco Counteroffers $3 Billion, refuse the counteroffer. Number of Decision Strategies in Decision Tree above: 3
Decision Trees. Introduction Decision trees enable one to look at decisions: with many alternatives and states of nature which must be made in sequence.
Solving Influence Diagrams Influence Diagrams are usually solved using software –Freeware and Commercial software exists For the exam, follow procedure.
25 seconds left….. 24 seconds left….. 23 seconds left…..
© 2008 Prentice-Hall, Inc. Chapter 3 To accompany Quantitative Analysis for Management, Tenth Edition, by Render, Stair, and Hanna Power Point slides created.
Decision Analysis. Introduction What is involved in making a good decision? Decision theory is an analytic and systematic approach to the study of decision.
To accompany Quantitative Analysis for Management, 7e by (Render/Stair 4-1 © 2000 by Prentice Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, N.J Quantitative Analysis.
Chapter 3 Decision Analysis (cont). Decision Trees decision tree Any problem that can be presented in a decision table can also be graphically represented.
© 2006 Prentice Hall, Inc.A – 1 Operations Management Module A – Decision-Making Tools © 2006 Prentice Hall, Inc. PowerPoint presentation to accompany.
1 Module 4 Modeling Decisions: MAKING CHOICES Topics: Creating case study decision tree Solving a decision tree Risk profiles Dominance of alternatives.
Introduction Decision trees Decision trees enable one to look at decisions: alternativesstates of nature with many alternatives and states of nature which.
Jeopardy Topic 1Topic Q 1Q 6Q 11Q 16Q 21 Q 2Q 7Q 12Q 17Q 22 Q 3Q 8Q 13Q 18Q 23 Q 4Q 9Q 14Q 19Q 24 Q 5Q 10Q 15Q 20Q 25 Final Jeopardy.
© 2008 Prentice Hall, Inc.A – 1 Operations Management Module A – Decision-Making Tools PowerPoint presentation to accompany Heizer/Render Principles of.
Operations Management Decision-Making Tools Module A.
We will resume in: 25 Minutes We will resume in: 24 Minutes.
1 1 Slide © 2001 South-Western College Publishing/Thomson Learning Anderson Sweeney Williams Anderson Sweeney Williams Slides Prepared by JOHN LOUCKS QUANTITATIVE.
Squares and Square Root WALK. Solve each problem REVIEW:
Decision Analysis (Decision Trees) Y. İlker TOPCU, Ph.D. twitter.com/yitopcu.
Decision Making Under Uncertainty: Pay Off Table and Decision Tree.
MA - 1© 2014 Pearson Education, Inc. Decision-Making Tools PowerPoint presentation to accompany Heizer and Render Operations Management, Eleventh Edition.
To accompany Quantitative Analysis for Management, 8e by Render/Stair/Hanna 4-1 © 2003 by Prentice Hall, Inc. Upper Saddle River, NJ PERTEMUAN 13.
A - 1© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. publishing as Prentice Hall A A Decision-Making Tools PowerPoint presentation to accompany Heizer and Render Operations.
Lesson 04 Decision Making The operations manager is a planner and a decision maker in environments of risk, uncertainty and certainty.
Operations Management - 5 th Edition Chapter 2 Supplement Roberta Russell & Bernard W. Taylor, III Operational Decision-Making Tools: Decision Analysis.
© 2002 Prentice-Hall, Inc.Chap 17-1 Basic Business Statistics (8 th Edition) Chapter 17 Decision Making.
Decision Analysis 3 To accompany Quantitative Analysis for Management, Twelfth Edition, by Render, Stair, Hanna and Hale Power Point slides created by.
1 Civil Systems Planning Benefit/Cost Analysis Paulina Jaramillo/Joe Marriott / / Lecture 10.
WEEK 1 You have 10 seconds to name…
DIVIDING INTEGERS 1. IF THE SIGNS ARE THE SAME THE ANSWER IS POSITIVE 2. IF THE SIGNS ARE DIFFERENT THE ANSWER IS NEGATIVE.
Chapter 5 Test Review Sections 5-1 through 5-4. Simplify each expression. 1)2) 3)4) 5) 6)
Addition 1’s to
Quantitative Decision Techniques 13/04/2009 Decision Trees and Utility Theory.
Making choices Dr. Yan Liu Department of Biomedical, Industrial & Human Factors Engineering Wright State University.
Copyright © 2008 by the McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved. McGraw-Hill/Irwin Managerial Economics, 9e Managerial Economics Thomas Maurice.
Operations Management For Competitive Advantage © The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 2001 C HASE A QUILANO J ACOBS ninth edition 1 Strategic Capacity Management.
Title Subtitle 1. A. B. C. C. * D. Click to try again! INCORRECT.
Addition Facts = = =
1 Copyright © 2010, Elsevier Inc. All rights Reserved Fig 2.1 Chapter 2.
1 Chapter 1 The Study of Body Function Image PowerPoint Copyright © The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. Permission required for reproduction or display.
Around the World AdditionSubtraction MultiplicationDivision AdditionSubtraction MultiplicationDivision.
ABC Technology Project Mrs. Kiddle. ABCs of Technology Word 1 Word 2 Word 3 Word 4 Word 5 Word 6 Word 7 Word 8 Word 9 Word 19 Word 20 Word 21 Word 22.
1 1 Slide Decision Analysis Professor Ahmadi. 2 2 Slide Decision Analysis Chapter Outline n Structuring the Decision Problem n Decision Making Without.
Table 12.1: Cash Flows to a Cash and Carry Trading Strategy.
Lets play bingo!!. Calculate: MEAN Calculate: MEDIAN
1 1 Slide Decision Theory Professor Ahmadi. 2 2 Slide Learning Objectives n Structuring the decision problem and decision trees n Types of decision making.
GG Consulting, LLC I-SUITE. Source: TEA SHARS Frequently asked questions 2.
Managerial Decision Modeling with Spreadsheets Chapter 8 Decision Theory.
Year 6 mental test 5 second questions Multiplication and Division Tables knowledge.
© 2017 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.