Presentation on theme: "1.make sure that-clause 2.make reservations for sb/sth 3.propose to sb. 4.When it comes to sth/Ving,… 5.be pleased with 6.pick sb up 7.as for 8.in no time."— Presentation transcript:
1.make sure that-clause 2.make reservations for sb/sth 3.propose to sb. 4.When it comes to sth/Ving,… 5.be pleased with 6.pick sb up 7.as for 8.in no time 9.be fininshed with 10.at the bottom of sth 11.burst out laughing/crying 12.arm in arm/ hand in hand 13.feel like Ving/n. 14.not…until… 15. …until… : :
1. make sure that-clause Before leaving home, make sure that you have locked the door. (On your own) I read the letter one more time to make sure that every word is spelled right.
2. make reservations for sb/sth Id like to make a reservation for a double room on February 23 rd. (On your own) The travel agency has made hotel reservations for our stay in Los Angeles.
3. propose to sb. John proposed to Mary on a romantic starry night and Mary said yes to his proposal. (On your own) Her boyfriend proposed to her in a way she least expected.
4. When it comes to sth/Ving, When it comes to needlework, Jane is second to none around here. When it comes to playing basketball, Paul is no stranger to it. (On your own) When it comes to Chinese New Year, I like receiving red envelopes most.
5. be pleased with Helen was pleased with the gift her boyfriend gave her for her birthday. (On your own) Are you pleased with the way the server waited on you?
6. pick sb up Tell me the time when you arrive at the airport and Ill go pick you up. (On your own) Im afraid I cant pick you up after school today as usual. Take the MRT home, will you?
7. as for Mary wants to go shopping. Helen likes to play some volleyball. Youd study for tomorrows English test. As for me, I would cook myself a special dinner. (On your own) Cinderella Everyone was ready for the ball. As for poor Cinderella, she had to stay home washing all the dishes.
8. in no time Harry was so hungry that he ate up all the cakes in no time. (On your own) That repairman fixed the TV set in no time.
9. be fininshed with Are you all finished with the test? No, please give us some more time. (On your own) Once I am finished with my homework, I will go to bed.
10. at the bottom of sth At the bottom of the box lies an old picture of my grandmother. (On your own) That fifty-dollar coin was found at the bottom of the ladder.
11. burst out laughing/crying Hearing the joke, everyone burst out laughing/burst into laughter. She burst out crying/burst into tears upon hearing the bad news. (On your own) Seeing the funny makeup on her face, everyone burst out laughing.
12. arm in arm/ hand in hand The young couple walked arm in arm in the park. The two kids are walking hand in hand into the classroom. (On your own) Find out the following adverbial phrases: back to back; shoulder to shoulder; face to face; heart to heart; side by side.
13. feel like Ving When I was told that I failed the test, I felt like crying. (On your own) After a long days work, I feel like sleeping for ten hours.
14. not… until… He didnt eat lunch until he finished his work at 1:30. =It was not until he finished his work at 1:30 that he ate lunch. =Not until he finished his work at 1:30 did he eat lunch. I didnt go to bed until midnight last night.
15. …until… ( ) She talked with her boyfriend on the phone until it was very late. (On your own) Susan ( ) Susan did her homework until eleven-forty.