Presentation on theme: "Holy Cross Mission Parish 50 years of La Crosse Diocesan Missionary Presence Santa Cruz, Bolivia."— Presentation transcript:
Holy Cross Mission Parish 50 years of La Crosse Diocesan Missionary Presence Santa Cruz, Bolivia
MISSIONARY ZEAL Fr. Joseph Walijewsk has the opportunity to fulfill a promise to the Blessed Virgin Mary. If ordained, I will offer three years of my priesthood in the missions to the service of the poor. Fr. Joseph Walijewski Born: ………. March 15, 1924 Ordained: ……. April 16,1950 Bolivia: …………... July, 1956 Eternal Life:.… April 11,2006
THE MISSION CROSS A providential contact put him in touch with newly ordained Auxiliary Bishop of Santa Cruz, Msgr. Charlie Brown, MM. Soon he received the Mission Cross from Bishop John Patrick Treacy.
SANTA CRUZ, BOLIVIA Santa Cruz de la Sierra was a dusty town on the edge of the jungle just beginning to grow due to migrations after a petroleum war with Paraguay. Pop. 1956: 50, : 1,500,000
A NEW PARISH Padre José had to travel to Brazil to buy cement for the new Church. Fr. Al Wozniak soon came to help build it. La Santa Cruz (Holy Cross) parish was dedicated on May 3rd, 1958.
PARISH SCHOOL The Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa came in 1960 to support the parish and its new school. Fr. Emmitt Faber arrived in The parish founded a savings and loan cooperative.
Eucharistic Congress Our altar was built for the 1961 Eucharistic Congress when the monument to Christ the Redeemer was erected a 2 blocks from our Church. It often serves for public events.
Eight Priests from La Crosse 1956:Fr. Joseph Walijewski 1958:Fr. Aloysius Wozniak 1961:Fr. Emmet Faber 1963:Fr. Ed Penchi 1968:Fr. Robert Pedretti 1973:Fr. Tom Donaldson 1975:Fr. John Swing 1988:Fr. Robert Flock
14 Sinsinawa Dominicans: Sr. Cristina Feagan Sr. Emilia Emden Sr. Guadalupe Soria Sr. Helen Glynn Sr. Helen Mary Raycraft Sr. Joaquín Bazán Sr. Lou Anne Willette Sr. Maria Ann Stelbach Sr. Patricia Smith Sr. Philomena Neenan Sr. Rosaleen Hanley Sr. Rosemary Huddleston Sr. Sulpice Kortendick Sr. Teresa Auad
New Parishes 1996: San Miguel Arcángel 2003: Santa Rosa de Lima 1969: Santo Domingo 1987: La Resurrección
Future Divisions 1.Parroquia La Santa Cruz Capilla San Juan Bautista di Rossi 2.Parroquia Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Cristo Resucitado Nuestra Señora de La Candelaria 3.Sagrado Corazón de María: María Reina Santa María Magdalena Natividad de la Virgen Juan Pablo II
La Santa Cruz Parish Center Built 1958 Seats 300
La Santa Cruz Parish School Began in 1961 with the Arrival of the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters Grades 1-12 AM – Private Catholic School: ~850 Students, Tuition $33 PM – Convenio Public School: Students, $2 fee.
Parish Clinic Began in 1963 in the garage, later moved to Social Center, New Clinic built in General Medicine Pediatrics Gynecology Dental Care Lab Samples
La Santa Cruz Rebuilding Program 1.New Rectory: Completed 2002: $66,000 2.Pastoral Center: Under Construction: $ New Church: 4.Convert old Church to Auditorium
Parish Pastoral Center Offices Ground Floor Pastor Associate Secretary Caritas & Family Second Floor Youth Ministry and Confirmation Catechetics and CEBs Religion Teachers Other Eight Halls for Meetings and Catechesis Three measure 10 x 10 meters Three measure 8 x 10 meters Two measure 5 x 8 meters
Pastoral Center Ground Floor
Chapels San Juan Bautista di Rossi For Barrios Macdonald, Avaro y 23 de Mayo Two halls, kitchen and bathrooms built so far.
Sagrado Corazón de María Built by Claretianos in P. Juan Kurahashi SDB Small Church and Airconditioned Hall with kitchen and bathrooms. Offices and small priest residence. Three Sunday Masses Needs enlarging to become new parish.
María Reina Chapel completed in 1988 A meeting hall was later added. Located outside parish limits
Santa María Magadalena Pastoral Center built in 2002 Includes offices and caretakers residence.
Natividad de la Virgen María Completed in 1990 A meeting hall was later added We are presently adding outdoor corridors
Juan Pablo II All we have so far is an empty lot in Barrio Dos de Abril John Paul II died on April 2nd, Roof struts from old pastoral center will be used in this construction.
Cristo Resucitado Chapel built in 1983 and enlarged in A clinic was added in 1987 and in 1997 converted to a convent for the Sisters of Our Lady of Peace, also enlarged in There are 2 masses every Sunday in this our largest chapel.
La Candelaria Chapel completed in 1986 Improvements made by Fr. Roger Clarke The roof should be raised higher and the windows replaced A meeting hall is needed, bathrooms. Santa Ana Private Catholic School located nearby
Guadalupe First Chapel built in 1982 (Holy Family) New Chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe completed in Pastoral Center with offices and rectory completed in Ready to become a New Parish, with Cristo Resucitado and Candelaria Chapels
Urubó With the help of the Sisters and Catechists at Cristo Resucitado Chapel we have been crossing the river to attend this community. We replaced their Pahuichi with a larger structure. Unfortunely, the area is losing its population. It is surrounded by gated communities for the wealthy
Team Ministry Fr. Robert Flock: Pastor Fr. Ed Penchi: Associate Fr. Juan Kurahashi, SDB Deacon Pedro Mendoza Deacon Carlos Arce Sister Virginia Gutiérrez Oscar Vargas Gregorio Saucedo Adán Chavarría Ivonne Tambaré de Vargas Marina Salazar Judith Oña María Yepez Carmen Rita Carmen de Landivar
Support Staff Modesto (Luly) Melgar Sonia López Petrona (Pity) Chávez Efraín Tomichá Bismark Tomichá Victoria Aramayo Zorba