Presentation on theme: "REALISING THE BENEFITS OF REUSE Dr Mervyn Jones Head of Products & Materials CIWM (NI) CONFERENCE 24 April 2012."— Presentation transcript:
REALISING THE BENEFITS OF REUSE Dr Mervyn Jones Head of Products & Materials CIWM (NI) CONFERENCE 24 April 2012
About WRAP WRAPs vision is a world without waste, where resources are used sustainably. We help businesses, individuals and communities reap the benefits of reducing waste, developing sustainable products and using resources in an efficient way.
Consumption strategies Lifetime optimisation Goods to services Reducing food waste Dietary changes Restorative economy Public sector procurement Quick Wins Best practice Beyond Best practice Exports CO 2e (000t)
Re-use definition Re-use any operation by which products or components that are not waste are used again for the same purpose for which they were conceived. Re-use is therefore counted as waste prevention under the waste hierarchy. Preparing for Reuse checking, cleaning or repairing recovery operations, by which products or components of products that have been collected as waste are prepared so that they can be reused without any other pre-processing.
Carbon impacts of textiles LandfillEfW up to 100 wash cycles Distribution Recycle Use Fibre production Clothing Manufacture up to 10 wash cycles up to 25 wash cycles up to 50 wash cycles Reuse (including washing, drying, ironing) +ve -ve Proposed area for intervention Source: Based on Defra (i), Marks and Spencer (ii), Woolridge et al (iii) (i) Impact of Energy from Waste and Recycling Policy on UK Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Defra, November 2005 (ii) Streamlined Life Cycle Assessment of Two Marks and Spencer plc Apparel Products ERM Ltd for Marks and Spencer, 2002 (iii) Life Cycle Assessment for Re-use/Recycling of Donated Waste Textiles Compared to Use of Virgin Material: A UK Energy Saving Perspective Woolridge, A.C. et al, Resources, Conservation and Recycling 46 (2006) 94-103 Carbon Impact of the Clothing Lifecycle (cotton underwear and polyester trousers)
WEEE 463,000 tonnes of obligated WEEE was collected in 2010, 80% of which was large WEEE items such as fridges/freezers. These also account for ca.69% (by weight) of bulky waste collection. Commonest items brought to HWRCs are DVDs, videos or televisions. Nearly one third (30%) of WEEE disposed at HWRCs was claimed to be fully functioning although this reduced to 12% after items had been independently tested.
Electricals: washing machine case study ~100,000 washing machines (6.7 kt) are re-used in the UK each year - 3% of all EoL machines. (97% are sent to recycling or landfill). Current levels avoid 2.6 kt CO 2 eq per year. Re-use e.g. via a charity shop or online exchange can result in saving of 30kg CO 2 -eq per machine. Each tonne of washing machines can result in a saving of ~12kg CO 2 -eq per machine. Each machine re-used can yield >£4 net revenue to re-use organisations. Households benefit by over £35m p.a. as a result of sale of items through re-use exchange and avoided purchase of new items.
Northern Ireland bulky waste Potential re-use and of bulky waste at HWRCs
Furniture Sofas ~1,000,000 sofas (ca 37,000 tonnes) are reused in UK every year. (~17% EoL). The rest (83%) go to recycling, energy recovery or landfill. Current levels of reuse of sofas avoid 52 kt CO 2 eq p.a. Direct reuse e.g. second-hand shop or eBay saves ~55kg CO 2 -eq per sofa. Preparation for reuse saves ~40kg CO 2 -eq per sofa. Each sofa re-used can yield over £18 net revenue to re- use organisations. Households benefit by >£320m per year as a result of sale of items through reuse exchange and avoiding purchase.
Preparation for reuse strategies CollectionSortingReprocessingPreventionMarkets WRAPs re-use activity Design for reuse Lifetime optimisation RE Models e.g. leasing LA guidance on reuse SME & alternate collections for reuse Consumer takeback Assessment for reuse Repair Remanufacture New infratructure models De-risking investment Social enterprise networks Waste prevention strategies Procurement of reuse products Specifications, accreditation & standards
Contact details General queries: Keith Patterson firstname.lastname@example.org 028 9073 0183 www.wrapni.org.uk Re-use Sarah Clayton (01295 817885): email@example.com P&M reuse leader: WEEE, textiles & furniture & standards Collections for reuse Rachel Gray (07985 952732): firstname.lastname@example.org Mervyn Jones (01295 819633): email@example.com