We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byJack Stevenson
Modified over 4 years ago
2/06/10 WHAT IS A GALAXY?
2/06/10 A galaxy is a large group of stars bound together by gravity.
2/06/10 How many solar systems are there in our galaxy? Astronomers have found about 70 SOLAR SYSTEMS and are discovering new ones every year.
2/06/10 There are three kinds of galaxies. Spiral Elliptical Irregular
2/06/10 Spiral galaxies Pictures by the Hubble Space Telescope
2/06/10 Elliptical galaxies
2/06/10 Irregular galaxies
2/06/10 Our Milky Way Galaxy is a spiral galaxy. We think! This is not really a picture of our galaxy – just one that looks like what we think our galaxy is like! Our Solar System is supposed to be in the Orion Arm!
2/06/10 Structure of the Milky Way
2/06/10 Top view Side view Can you see our Solar System?
2/06/10 Every star we see in the night sky is in our own galaxy. We cannot see stars in other galaxies because they are too far away. The Milky Way is estimated to have 200 billion stars.
2/06/10 A constellation is a group of stars than appear to be together but are not. They seem to form a picture in the sky. People use them to find their way around the sky.
Click to edit Master subtitle style 2/06/10 LETS SEE SOME EXAMPLES OF CONSTELLATIONS
2/06/10 Orion the hunter The constellation looks flat but all the stars are at different distances from us.
2/06/10 Leo the Lion Cygnus the Swan Can you see the drawing ?
2/06/10 Scorpi o
2/06/10 The Zodiac is a special group of constellations that extend out from Earths equator.
Galaxies This lesson deals with important topics relating to galaxies. Each of these topics represents a great body of knowledge and areas of interest.
Topic # 1 Term # 2 Our Local System
Space: The Big Picture Chap 1; Lesson 1.1
Notes 30.3 Star Groups Std 2a: Know that the solar system is located in the outer edge of the disc-shaped Milky Way galaxy Std 2b: Know galaxies are made.
They seem to form a picture in the sky. People use them to find their way around the sky like someone using objects to get from place to place.
Stars, Galaxies, and Constellations
Earth in Space Notes Part 1. Our Solar System Objects in our solar system move in predictable patterns. The predictable movement of these objects are.
Chapter 15 Section 4 Star System and Galaxies. Star Systems and Cluster Most stars are members of two or more star systems; Multiple Star System, Star.
GALAXIES Types Of Galaxies. How Far are Galaxies? Just as stars, galaxies are measured in light years. So what is a light year? Light travels at 186,000.
Star Systems and Galaxies
Stars and Galaxies. Gravitational Pull-Key Terms Mass- the amount of atoms inside an object. Mass does not change. Weight- the pull of gravity on the.
Chapter 3. The Scale of the Universe Astonomers deal with very large numbers on a regular basis. For this reason, they use scientific notation to make.
Where is the Solar System in the Universe?. What is the solar system? The solar system consists of: – The sun (which is the name of our star) – Planets.
Galaxy A large collection of stars Galaxies contain star groups Galaxies only contain 1% of matter in the universe The remaining 99% of matter.
Describe the overall scale and structure of the universe.
GOAL/PURPOSE STUDENTS WILL LEARN THAT GALAXIES ARE CLUSTERS OF BILLIONS OF STARS AND THAT THE SUN IS ONE OF MANY STARS IN THE MILKY WAY GALAXY. THEY WILL.
The universe is the space which contains all the galaxies, stars, planets, moons, living organisms and every thing. The sun and the earth are.
Mr. Peterson, Science. Helpful when working with small numbers… Mass of an electron = kg Much easier to write.
Constellations What is a constellation? A group of stars that seems to form a picture.
Mrs. Degl1 Beyond our Solar System Solar System - consists of 1 or 2 stars, planets, satellites, asteroids, meteors, and comets Galaxy – consists of about.
© 2018 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.