Geographic Location Aelxandroupoli is the capital of the land of Thrace. The prefecture of Evros is one of the biggest of Greece and it lies in the north-eastern end of Greece in an especially strategic point.
It was Born in the middle of the 19 th century. It took the name of Dede-Agats and it was a small Fishing village. It got to Know a big growth from 1871 till 1912. On 14 th May 1920 it was liberated and it took the name of Alexandroupoli. Our Town
Modern Alexandroupoli It is a family town. It provides comfortable living to its inhabitants. Its population is 55,000 inhabitants and it has got modern infra – structure.
Samothraki Twenty-four miles away- but still an integral part of our prefecture and our town – lies the island of Samothaki ( high Thrace) with 3000 inhabitants. The economy of Samothraki is based mainly on tourism and fishing.
The lighthouse: the landmark of the town The building of the lighthouse was undertaken by the French company of Lighthouses and Lamps of the Mediterranean sea. The height of the lighthouse is 18 meters measured from the ground. It was first set into operation on the 1 st of June 1880.
The state of Niki (Victory) The emblem of our prefecture and our town is the well – known ancient Greek statue of Niki of Samothraki. It was found in 1863 on the island. Its height is 2,75 meters. It is exhibited in the Louvre museum in Paris.
In our town also operate four Departments of Democritus University of Thrace. Pedagogical Department of Primary School Teachers. Pedagogical Department of Nursery School Teachers. Medical School Department of Molecular Biology.
Sports Infra - Structure Indoors Swimming Pool Football Field Indoors Volleyball Court Stadium There are organized clubs of: Sailing Swimming Football
Museums Ethnological museum of Thrace Ecclesiastical museum Museum of Natural History Folklore museum and of Natural History Fauna and Flora museum of the Evros Delta
Entertainment In our town one can find: Restaurant Fish taverns Cafeterias Organized central market
Sights The fossilized wood in Tihero. The Mosque in Didimotiho. The archeological site of Mesimvria – Zoni.
The Byzantine castles of Pithio, Didimotiho and Samothraki. The Roman Town of Traianoupolis. The underground Thracian tomb in Elafohori near Didimotiho.
The medieval castle of Potamos. The castle of Avantas. The Cyclops cave in Makri. Plotinoupolis in Didimotiho.
National parks Evros Delta Dadia forest They are protected areas of world importance. They are rich in Fauna and flora and every year they provide shelter to dozens of species ( flamingoes, swans, ducks, wolves,squirrels, bats and vultures)
Evros Delta It lies in the south – east of the prefecture on the border with Turkey and spreads in two hundred square kilometres. 316 species of birds have been found It is very important the role of the Delta for the migration of many birds and their stay during winter.
Dadia forest It is situated in the middle of the prefecture, near Soufli The area was declared as a protected area in 1980and it spreads in 430 square kilometers. 48 species of mammals and 41 species of reptiles and amphibians find element there.
The special element of the forest are the birds of prey. In this protected area, one can observe 36 birds of prey from total number of 38 species that exist in Europe.
Beaches The lovers of the sea will feel that they are in a true paradise… There are special beaches for children who can swim in shallow water in safety. The municipal beach of E.O.T ( Greek Organization of Tourism) which has been awarded the prize of the blue flag is the nearest in town.