21. Why did many Western European nations decide to switch to a single currency? A single currency would make it easier to trade with each other.
32. Why do you think each country wants to mint its own coins? Each country will still be able to retain its own identity.
43. Today in Western Europe how do citizens take part in the government? Citizens are able to vote and also citizens can be members of political parties.
54. What was the original goal of the European Union? The original goal was to encourage trade.
65. Why did many former Communist countries join the European Union? Many former Communist countries want to gain economic and political advantages.
76. What must Eastern European countries do before they can join the EU? Many of the countries first make legal, economic and environmental improvements.
87. Look at the photograph on page 368. A. List the countries on the Euro plaque.B. Which countries in the EU have not adopted the euro as currency?A. Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, and SpainDenmark, Greece, Sweden, United Kingdom
98. Why did many European countries adopt the euro? A single currency makes international trade much simpler.
109. What have members of the EU done to improve trade? List three things. Members of the EU have done away with tariffs, lifted border controls and made development loans.
1110. What is a tariff? What effect does it have on the cost of goods? A tariff is a duty or fee (tax) that must be paid on imported or exported goods. Tariffs make goods more expensive.
1211. What steps did the EU take to improve the environment in Romania 11. What steps did the EU take to improve the environment in Romania? List 3Built a new waste treatment systemrecycling centerscleanup up old dumping ground.
1312. How might environmental problems affect a nations economy, as well as that of its neighbors? The environmental problems may be too costly to repair, also some of the problems such as air pollution can affect other countries.
1413. How is the EU improving lives of people? List 5 Helps to raise the standard of livingProvides job trainingAllows people to work in any member countryAllows people to vote in local elections wherever they liveProtects people’s rights through a Court of Justice
1514. Why would it be helpful for all members of the EU to have similar legal systems? Having a similar legal system makes laws fair and easy to understand and follow.
1615. What are some examples of cultural diversity among EU nations 15. What are some examples of cultural diversity among EU nations? List 3People speaking different languagesunique foodsCertain ways of doing businessSpecial games and celebrations
1716. What conveniences do most major European cities offer? Excellent public transportationsidewalk cafes
1817. What are the main problems facing the European Union? Conflicting cultural traditionsNational prideEconomic inequality among members
19Describe the benefits of being a member of the European Union. Trade among countries without tariffs, improving the standard of living, improving \/correcting environmental issues.
20Explain why it is important for Eastern European countries to improve their economies before they can join the European Union.Countries with poor economies are not self sufficient and can hurt or bring down the economy of the other countries.
21Why do you think some European countries that are members of the EU have not adopted the euro as their form of currency?Many countries want to retain their own identity, some fear that having one currency will lead to a European super state, some fear that it is too expensive and others fear that if the euro is a failure that may hurt them financially.