Presentation on theme: "The present present simple simple Tense Tense. Formation.."— Presentation transcript:
The present present simple simple Tense Tense
( I / you / we / they / plural nouns ) inf. ( He / She / it / singular nouns ) inf.- (s / es )
Exercises Ex. Choose the correct answer : 1. Nada and Aly ( run – runs ) to school together. 2. The boys ( play – plays ) football every day. 3. My mother ( cooks – cook ) dinner late. 4. He usually ( stay – stays ) with his grandmother. 5. She ( do – does ) her homework in the afternoon. 6. I ( go – goes ) to school by bus every day. 7. Salma ( washes – wash ) the dishes in the evening. 8. Tarek always ( do – does ) his homework. 9. He usually ( wash – washes ) my clothes. 10. Sometimes they ( go – goes ) to the club. Can we say
5. She ( do – does ) her homework in the afternoon. 6. I ( go – goes ) to school by bus every day. 7. Salma ( washes – wash ) the dishes in the evening. 8. Tarek always(do – does) his homework. 9. He usually (wash – washes) my clothes. 10. Sometimes they (go – goes) to the club.
We use the present simple tense in the following cases : 1. Permanent situations.. 2. Repeated habitual actions ( Routine events ).. 3. Scientific facts ( general truths ).. 4. Job description..
Exercise Define the reason for using the present simple in the following sentences
1. Chin lives in China. 2. I love my parents. 3. The moon goes around the sun 4. Ali works as a doctor. 5. The park often holds festivals. 6. The earth goes round the sun. 7. They get up at seven oclock.
What about the Key words?
( I / you / we / they / plural nouns ) ( I / you / we / they / plural nouns ) do not / dont + inf. do not / dont + inf. ( He / She / it / singular nouns ) ( He / She / it / singular nouns ) does not / doesnt + inf. does not / doesnt + inf.
Exercise Turn the following sentences into negative ones :
1.I like fish. 2. Ali works as a doctor. 3. They get up at seven oclock. 4. He speaks English well.
The present Continuous Tense
am is + ( v.-ing ) are
We use the present continuous tense in the following cases : 1. Things happening at the time of speaking.. 2. Things happening for a limited time around the present time.. ( temporary actions ) 3. Plans for the near future / future arrangements
Exercise Define the reason for using the present continuous tense in the following sentences
1. I am eating now. 2. Ali is studying English this year. 3. Abdullah is flying to Egypt next week. 4. They are swimming in the pool at the moment..
Stative Verbs Verbs
What are stative stative Verbs ? Verbs ?
Verbs that cant be used in the progressive tenses
Stative Verbs like WishBelongSmellOwe love DislikeFitDeny weigh hate DeserveContainImpress Doubt need LackConsistSurprise Appear prefer KnowSeem feel (=have an opinion) agree RealizeDependConcern MindSupposeMatterHave OwnMeanSeeInclude SoundUnderstand look (=seem) Possess HearBelieveBelongSmell DisagreeRememberFitDeny SatisfyRecognizeContainImpress
Exercises on the present simple & the present cont.
Exercise 1 Define the tense of the following sentences..
1. Heba teaches in a primary school. 2. She eats with a fork and a knife. 3.They are watching television now. 4. Mother is cooking dinner right now. 5. He helps his father in the fields every day. 6. Listen! Someone is knocking at the door. 7. A typist works in an office. 8. Father is reading the paper at this moment. 9. We are studying the exercise on page 72 now. 10.Sally is preparing her homework now. 11.They watch television in the evening. 12. It rains in winter in Egypt. 13.The sun rises in the east. 14.The wind is blowing very hard now.
Exercise 2 Choose the correct answer :
Noha and Hala their flat now. 1. Noha and Hala their flat now. a)Cleanb) cleaning c) have cleaned d) are cleaning 2. Look! he TV. a)watches b) is watching c) watchd) watching 3. Listen! They about the film. a)Talkingb) talk c) are talking d) talks 4. My father never on Friday. a)is working b) worksc) working d) work 5. Sara a letter on the computer now. a)Typesb) typing c) is typing d) typed 6. Rami his room now. a)cleans b) cleaning c) is cleaning d) has cleaned
7. The sun in the east. a)riseb) rising c) have risen d) rises 8. The boys some pictures now. a)takeb) taking c) are taking d) have take 9. My father always poor people. a)is helping b) helpsc) help d) helping 10. We usually TV in the evening. a)are watchingb) watchc) watchesd) have watched 11. Look! Nadia with her new toys. a)are playing b) playc) play d) is playing 12. Rasha tennis every weekend. a) playb) plays c) playingc) is playing
Exercise 3 Correct the underlined words :
1.We watches TV every night. 2.He is driving his car every day. 3.She cooks now. 4.She is wanting to be a doctor. 5.Reem want to work in Cairo. 6.They doesn't work with clothes. 7.Listen ! The teacher speaks. 8.They works in an office. 9.It is raining in summer in Egypt. 10.They watch television now. 11. Look! She cook the meat. 12. He walk to school every day. 13. We gets up early every morning. 14. Does you like football?