Presentation on theme: "Louis XIV: Questions and Answers. 1.What did Fenelon criticize about the rule of Louis XIV? The king only cares about his own luxuries, while the people."— Presentation transcript:
Louis XIV: Questions and Answers
1.What did Fenelon criticize about the rule of Louis XIV? The king only cares about his own luxuries, while the people are hungry
2. Whom did Fenelon blame besides the king? The kings ministers
3. According to Fenelon, how did the French people feel about King Louis XIV? He says they used to love the king, but now they resent him and many are planning to rebel against him.
4. The author wrote the letter anonymously, that is unsigned. Why? Afraid the king would punish him for starting such views
5. What reforms do you think Fenelon would have welcomed? Using more money to help t he people instead of paying for grand things Reduction in costly wars
6. Do you think the letter is a reliable source of information? Why or Why not? Probably reliable since he had an inside view and access as the tudor.
How do you think the king might have responded to the letter? Claimed Divine Right of Kings – He had the God given right to be king and that he could act in any way he saw fit.
8. How did late events support Fenelons opinion? Discontent with the monarchy and the strain of Frances finances led to the FRENCH REVOLUTION