Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Members: Anusha Arif Fahad Siddiqui Hassan Khan Muneeb Firoz.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Members: Anusha Arif Fahad Siddiqui Hassan Khan Muneeb Firoz."— Presentation transcript:

1 Members: Anusha Arif Fahad Siddiqui Hassan Khan Muneeb Firoz

2 Power resources Power resources are sources through which we obtain energy to fulfill our needs. Power resources are sources through which we obtain energy to fulfill our needs.

3 Power Resources in Pakistan Non- renewable Coal Oil Natural gas Uranium Renewable Water Solar power Wind

4 Definition of Coal Coal is a combustible, sedimentary, organic rock. It is composed mainly of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. It is formed from vegetation, which has been consolidated between other rocks and altered by the combined effects of pressure and heat over millions of years to form coal seams. Coal is a combustible, sedimentary, organic rock. It is composed mainly of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. It is formed from vegetation, which has been consolidated between other rocks and altered by the combined effects of pressure and heat over millions of years to form coal seams.

5 Coal mining in Pakistan Pakistan has about 185 billion tonnes of coal Pakistan tops in lignite coal-bearing countries in Asia as 97% of coal reserves of Pakistan belong to lignite and remaining only 3% are sub- bituminous to bituminous. Coal reserves are widely spread in Pakistan 1. Balochistan: Khost, Sor Range, Degari, Mach, Shahrig, Harnai 2. Punjab: Dandot Pidh 3. KPK: Makerwal 4. Sindh: Lakhra, Jhimpir, Sonda, Thar Coal is mainly imported from South Africa and Australia in Pakistan It is transported through railways

6

7

8 Uses of coal Mainly used in brick kilns and coal briquetting Source for power generation Used to make coke Gases emitted during process of coke making are used to make fertilizers, solvents, pharmaceuticals, pesticides and other products Used in households and thermal power stations Used for heating purposes such as in boilers Used in cement factories Gasification of coal for cheap fuel

9 Thar coal project It is the second largest proven coal reserves in the world, spread over 9,100 square km with 175 billion tonnes of coal. The United States Geological Survey and the Geological Survey of Pakistan have jointly unearthed huge coal seams in Sindh The indigenous Thermal Coal is a cheap cost fuel source for power generation. The Thar lignite can be converted into gas and liquid petroleum products and can be used in cement and fertilizer industries The lignite from Thar can also be transported and utilized by retro-fitted Thermal Power Plants in the country

10 Promotion of coal in Pakistan Give priority to extraction of coal Build more coal reserves Introduce different methods of mining to extract bituminous and anthracite Create awareness of its uses so companies fund in extracting coal Introduce new technology and educate miners about their usage Government should build proper infrastructure so less deaths occur Media can play a key role by advertising importance of coal

11 Top Five Facts of Coal Coal-fired power stations generate 40% of global electricity. About 70% of steel is created using coke, a high-carbon fuel made from coal. The dandruff and head lice-zapping power of some shampoos is thanks to coal tar. Coal can be turned into ammonia fertiliser by breaking it into carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas. Waste ash from coal-fired power stations can replace cement in concrete. Coal-fired power stations generate 40% of global electricity. About 70% of steel is created using coke, a high-carbon fuel made from coal. The dandruff and head lice-zapping power of some shampoos is thanks to coal tar. Coal can be turned into ammonia fertiliser by breaking it into carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas. Waste ash from coal-fired power stations can replace cement in concrete.

12 Quiz Time! Coal is composed mainly of, and. Coal is mainly used in and. Pakistan has about of coal Coal reserves of 175 billion tonnes are recently found in. Coal-fired power stations generate of global electricity.

13 Answers! Coal is composed mainly of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Coal is mainly used in brick kilns and coal briquetting. Pakistan has about 185 billion tonnes of coal Coal reserves of 175 billion tonnes are recently found in Thar. Coal-fired power stations generate 40% of global electricity.


Download ppt "Members: Anusha Arif Fahad Siddiqui Hassan Khan Muneeb Firoz."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google