Presentation on theme: "Meeting the EIA / TIA Standards for Cable Confinement The Choices Available A review of the current standards and how products meet the specific requirements."— Presentation transcript:
Meeting the EIA / TIA Standards for Cable Confinement The Choices Available A review of the current standards and how products meet the specific requirements
EIA / TIA Standards Proper installation practices shall be observed for cabling to ensure performance of the cabling system over its life cycle. Installation of cable shall be undertaken according to the installation specifications.
EIA / TIA Standards During cabling installation, appropriate techniques shall be followed: b) cable management precautions shall be observed including the elimination of cable stress as caused by tension in suspended cable runs and tightly cinched cable bundles; c) minimum bend radii shall never be less than those specified in the product standard; f) no force shall be allowed that cause pressure marks (e.g. through improper fastening or crossovers) on the cable sheath or the cable elements;
Confinement Systems? THE CHEAPEST COMPONENT YOU BUY AND THE LAST THING YOU THINK OR WORRY ABOUT! TAKE A MINUTE TO THINK ABOUT THIS COMPONENT IT WAS NOT DESIGNED TO MANAGE CABLE!! A fraction of a percent of total cost. BUT THERE IS A RISK OF NON-COMPLIANCE WITH THE STANDARDS!
Confinement Systems- The Choice Three formats available: 1) Nylon Zip Ties 2) Hook-&-Loop (Velcro ® ) Ties 3) Mille-Tie TM HOW DO THEY PERFORM AGAINST THE STANDARDS? OBJECTIVE – TO AVOID ANYTHING THAT CAN RISK THE STANDARDS! Mille-Tie TM is a trademark of Millepede International Ltd. Velcro ® is a trademark of Velcro Industries B.V.
Nylon Zip Ties Low cost generic format Readily available Known & understood technology Quick and efficient to use BUT: Quality can vary Only works in one direction, so THEY ONLY GET TIGHTER!!
Nylon Zip Ties THE ISSUE The construction will ALWAYS compromise EIA / TIA standards no matter how loose! The teardrop shape will always risk or crush one cable. IT CANNOT FORM AN O !
Nylon Zip Ties Nylon is a hygroscopic plastic, that absorbs or LOOSES moisture. Not only can regular nylon cable ties be put on too tight but also they shrink over time and squeeze the cables as they dry out. Mark Bullivant (RCDD) – Royal Signals Regiment (MOD) Nylon cable ties go on shrinking for at least four days after they have been put on. Rob Woodford Honeywell. GETS WORSE! BRITTLE & TIGHT = RISK OF CABLE DAMAGE & PERFORMANCE LOSS At fitting, the tie is in its best condition. That does not remain! It then dries out and contracts.
INSTALLER SURVEY – CABLE TIES Personal Injury - 59% Mainly cuts and grazes but some involved hospital treatment and potential legal claims. Cable Damage - 38% Loss of performance or system failure due to crush or cinch caused by cable ties. Survey conducted with 105 installation companies in UK and Germany via questionnaire in Health & Safety : physical & legal risk -p
The Alternatives TWO PRODUCTS ENSURE THESE STANDARDS CANNOT BE COMPROMISED elimination of cable stress tightly cinched cable bundles no force shall be allowed that cause pressure marks 1)Hook & Loop (Velcro®) Ties 2)Mille-Ties TM
1) Hook & Loop (Velcro ® ) Ties Created as clothing fastener Easy to use (but can snag) Gentle on cable Understood technology Good on horizontals
1) Hook & Loop (Velcro ® ) Ties - Limitations Difficulties in managing verticals Grip affected by dust & moisture Tends to stick together Requires preparation time: Separation or opening Cutting rolls Some waste – overlap Higher unit cost
2) Mille-Tie TM The First Confinement System Designed for Data Cable Management FAST SAFE ECONOMIC The Mile-Tie offers the 21 st Century Solution for safer cable management
Faster than Nylon Ties – Safer than Hook & Loop One Handed zip tight action (no risk of over-tightening) One size fits all (Cut or join each strip for any length) Mille-Tie takes the time and risk out of installation FAST: reduce fitting time by up to 50%
The Mille-Tie hugs the outside of the cable safely and uniformly with no internal deformation. Nylon ties can easily be over tightened causing deformation and bandwidth loss SAFE: intelligent No Crush grip system
ECONOMIC: reduce waste by up to 70% Mille-Tie takes the time and risk out of installation Each Mille-Tie Strip = 3+ ties (average bundle sizes) One Handed zip tight action (no risk of over tightening) One size fits all (Cut or join each strip for any length)
2) Mille-Tie TM - Limitations THE KNOWLEDGE BARRIER UNDERSTANDING & AWARENESS Different Design = New Knowledge Revolutionary design - requires a few minutes of education and familiarisation to use effected. Imagination – as it is like plastic string less rigid ways of thinking are required.
2) Mille-Tie TM Strips THE ONLY SYSTEM THAT CAN OFFER THE COMPLETE PACKAGE! A) ensure performance of the cabling system over its life cycle. Mille-Tie Intelligent Latch Systems not only protects the cable from damage when fitting but monitors the cable throughout its life. Like mini pressure fuses if a force great enough to damage the cable is exerted the latches will release rather than allow the cable to be damaged. The plastic used does not tighten or loose grip over time.
2) Mille-Tie TM Strips THE ONLY SYSTEM THAT CAN OFFER THE COMPLETE PACKAGE! B) bend radii shall never be less than those specified. Mille-Tie can be spiral wrapped to ensure bend radii are protected
The Message! Why risk non-compliance with the standards for a few cents? (Mille-Tie is cheaper overall when fitting costs and product used is included!) Why risk personal injury for a faction of a percent of the total job costs? Hook & Loop and Mille-Tie have no sharp edges Why risk expensive rework? Hook & Loop and Mille-Tie do not risk EIA / TIA Standards failure. Why not have one stop solution that meets all EIA / TIA needs? Mille-Tie will cover lifetime protection and bend Radii NYLON ZIP TIES SHOULD HAVE NO PART IN DATA CABLE MANAGEMENT (leave their use to the electrical guys)
Treat Data Cables As Standards Require Manage with Cable Confinement that separates Data cable from Power. Use either: Better kinder alternatives – Hook and Loop (Velcro ® ) Or The one design for Data cable management – Mille-Tie TM