Presentation on theme: "Iron Sharpening Iron June 24, 2013. BIBLICAL TEXT – 1 AND 2 PETER, GALATIANS, JOHN CHAPTER 8 RECAP – THE LAW OF SIN AND DEATH AND ITS PURPOSE, UNDERSTANDING."— Presentation transcript:
Iron Sharpening Iron June 24, 2013
BIBLICAL TEXT – 1 AND 2 PETER, GALATIANS, JOHN CHAPTER 8 RECAP – THE LAW OF SIN AND DEATH AND ITS PURPOSE, UNDERSTANDING BONDAGE, WALKING IN/BY THE SPIRIT, THE ALLEGORY OF THE CAVE
RELEASED – one has been freed from their bonds by another LIBERTATED - one has moved from the place of bondage and has been repositioned ENLIGHTENED – one has had a transforming experience from which they cannot return.
SOCRATES: So now, I replied, watch the process whereby the prisoners are set free from their chains and, along with that, cured of their lack of insight, and likewise consider what kind of lack of insight must be if the following were to happen to those who were chained. Walks back to the fire SOCRATES: Whenever any of them was unchained and was forced to stand up suddenly, to turn around, to walk, and to look up toward the light, in each case the person would be able to do this only with pain and because of the flickering brightness would be unable to look at those things whose shadows he previously saw.
1. When a person is released from bondage does that change them as a person? 2. Does it change their environment? (perspective) 3. Discuss the adjustment as it may relate to the new believer. 4. Discuss the adjustment as it may relate to the experienced believer that has been delivered from bondage. 5. What is our role as leaders as it relates to those that have been freed?
THE RELEASED PRISONER(S) HAS WALKED TOWARDS THE FIRE SOCRATES: If all this were to happen to the prisoner, what do you think he would say if someone were to inform him that what he saw before were [mere] trifles but that now he was much nearer to beings; and that, as a consequence of now being turned toward what is more in being, he also saw more correctly?
1. Consider the concept nearer to beings. What might that mean? 2. What is more real; the carnal or natural life which we lead or the things of the spirit?
What makes it real to you?
SOCRATES: And if someone were [then] to show him any of the things that were passing by and forced him to answer the question about what it was, don't you think that he would be a wit's end and in addition would consider that what he previously saw [with is own eyes] was more unhidden than what was now being shown [to him by someone else]. GLAUCON: Yes, absolutely.
1. How do we interpret our world? 2. How do we use experience and emotion to relate to people? 3. How do we use experience and emotion to relate to God? 4. Does God care about how you feel?
1. Consider the term wits end. Think about the prisoners experience at the flame. How does a person relate to or explain an experience for which they have no reference?
SOCRATES: And if someone even forced him to look into the glare of the fire, would his eyes not hurt him, and would he not then turn away and flee [back] to that which he is capable of looking at? And would he not decide that [what he could see before without any help] was in fact clearer than what was now being shown to him? GLAUCON: Precisely
1. How do we get people to see? 2. How can we usher them from being freed from bondage to being truly delivered? 3. Captivity of the MIND!!!!!!!
And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 3:17(KJV) 17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.