Presentation on theme: "Adult Bible Study Guide Apr May Jun 2014 Adult Bible Study Guide Apr May Jun 2014 powerpoint presentation designed by claro ruiz vicente"— Presentation transcript:
Adult Bible Study Guide Apr May Jun 2014 Adult Bible Study Guide Apr May Jun 2014 powerpoint presentation designed by claro ruiz vicente http://clarovicente.weebly.com
Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guide An Appeal Dear User…. This PowerPoint Show is freely shared to all who may find it beneficial. While intended primarily for personal use, some find it useful for teaching the lesson in church. There are those, however, who add illustrations, change background, change fonts, etc. While their intention may be good, this is not right. Slide #1 says designed by claro ruiz vicente. For honest Christians, it is not necessary for anothers creation to be copyrighted in order to be respected. P LEASE U SE A S I S.
Christ and His Law Contents 1 Laws in Christs Day 2 Christ and the Law of Moses 3 Christ and Religious Tradition 4 Christ and the Law in the Sermon on the Mount 5 Christ and the Sabbath 6 Christs Death and the Law 7 Christ, the End of the Law 8 The Law of God and the Law of Christ 9 Christ, the Law and the Gospel 10 Christ, the Law and the Covenants 11 The Apostles and the Law 12 Christs Church and the Law 13 Christs Kingdom and the Law
Christ and His Law Our Goal WE WILL study the law, especially the question of why so many Christiansmisunderstanding the relationship between law and gracehave fallen into the trap of denying the continued validity of the Ten Commandments, thus unwittingly helping the attempt to overthrow Gods law.
Christ and His Law Lesson 2, April 12 Christ and His Law Lesson 2, April 12 Christ and the Law of Moses
Key Text John 5:46 NRSV IF YOU believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me.
Christ and the Law of Moses Initial Words THE GOSPEL accounts of His life and ministry show that Jesus was a faithful Jew fully immersed in Jewish culture from the moment of His birth to the final week of His life in human flesh.
Christ and the Law of Moses Quick Look 1. Temple Activities (Luke 2:21-24) 2. Jewish Feasts (John 5:1) 3. Law Enforcement (Matthew 17:24-27)
Christ and the Law of Moses 1. Temple Activities Luke 2:21-24 NKJV AND WHEN eight days were completed for the circumcision of the Child, His name was called Jesus. … Now when the days of her purification were completed, they brought Him to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord… and to offer a sacrifice….
1. Temple Activities Circumcision and Dedication WHEN JESUS was eight days old, His parents held a naming and circumcision ceremony in the same manner as an untold number of Hebrew males had experienced in times past. The spotless Son of God, now in human form, undergoing the very ritual that He Himself had instituted many centuries earlier!
1. Temple Activities Circumcision and Dedication Jesus was the first child that opened her womb. According to Exodus 13, every firstborn among the Israelites was to be dedicated to the Lord. Mary and Joseph meticulously fulfilled the obligations of the Mosaic law and ensured that the Son of God bore the marks of the covenant.
1. Temple Activities Jesus in the Temple Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the Temple sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers (Luke 2:46, 47 NKJV).
John 5:1 NKJV AFTER THIS there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. Christ and the Law of Moses 2. Jewish Feasts
Feasts and Festivals THREE MAJOR Feasts: 1. Unleavened Bread 2. Shavuot or Pentecost 3. Booths (Tabernacle) and the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) Two Festivals: 1. Purim 2. Hanukah aka Dedication
2. Jewish Feasts Feasts and Festivals The Gospels record three occasions when Jesus celebrated Passover (Luke 2:41–43, John 2:13–23, Matt. 26:17–20). The biblical feasts were done away with long ago, at least as far as Christians are concerned. They all met their fulfillment in Christ.
Christ and the Law of Moses 3. Law Enforcement: Matt 17:24-27 JESUS [SAID] …From whom do the kings of the earth take…taxes, from their sons or from strangers? Peter said…From strangers. Jesus said… Then the sons are free. Neverthe- less…go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. Find a piece of money…give it to them for Me and you.
IF JESUS had paid the tribute without a protest, He would virtually have acknowledged the justice of the claim [that He was under obligation to pay], and would thus have denied His divinity. But while He saw good to meet the demand, He denied the claim upon which it was based. 3. Law Enforcement Temple Tax
3. Law Enforcement Temple Tax In providing for the payment of the tribute He gave evidence of His divine character. It was made manifest that He was one with God, and therefore was not under tribute as a mere subject of the kingdom. The Desire of Ages 434.
3. Law Enforcement Stoning He affirms the law of Moses with His response, He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first (John 8:7 NKJV). He isnt saying that she shouldnt be stoned; He simply forces these men to see their own violations of the law.
3. Law Enforcement Stoning Even the womans release is in harmony with the law of Moses, because there is none to point an accusing finger, and at least two witnesses are needed to administer justice (Deut. 17:6).
3. Law Enforcement Divorce and Remarriage Jesus appears to contradict the law of Moses with His insistence that there were originally no grounds for divorce (Matt 19:4–6). When the Pharisees point to Moses commandment in Deuteronomy 24:1–4, Jesus places everything in perspective.
3. Law Enforcement Divorce and Remarriage Nowhere does Moses command that divorce should take place. However, because of the peoples obstinacy, Moses made an allowance for divorce (Matt 19:8). Thus, we see that even when Jesus critiques a Mosaic law, He does not set it aside. Jesus was a faithful Jew in every way, adhering to the laws of Moses.
Christ and the Law of Moses Final Words THREE TIMES a year the Jews were required to assemble at Jerusalem for religious purposes. Enshrouded in the pillar of cloud, Israels invis- ible Leader had given the directions in regard to these gatherings. … It was Gods design that these anni- versaries should call Him to the minds of the people.The Desire of Ages 447.