Presentation on theme: "Welcome to the Mediterranean Diet A lifestyle approach to easy, healthy eathing."— Presentation transcript:
Welcome to the Mediterranean Diet A lifestyle approach to easy, healthy eathing
The Mediterranean Diet (or Med Diet) reflects a way of eating that is traditional in the countries that surround the Mediterranean, but you dont need to travel so far from your local supermarket to discover its delicious flavours and fresh foods. Embracing the Med Diet is making some simple but profound changes in the way you eat today, tomorrow, and for the rest of your life.
1.Eat lots of vegetables. From a simple plate of sliced fresh tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil, to fragrant soups and stews, or healthy pizzas, vegetables are vitally important in the Med Diet. EIGHT SIMPLE STEPS FOR EATING THE MED WAY
2. Change the way you think about meat. If you like meat, have smaller amounts – small pieces of beef or chicken with vegetables, or a dish of pasta garnished with diced ham.
3. Always eat breakfast. Start your day with fiber-rich foods such as fruit and whole grains, to keep you pleasantly full for hours. Also eat yogurt and fruit and a slice of whole grain toast.
4. Eat seafood twice a week. Fish such as tuna, herring, salmon, and sardines are rich in omega-3 fatty acids; shellfish including mussels, oysters, and clams have similar benefits for brain and heart health.
5. Cook a vegetarian meal one night a week. Make meals using beans, whole grains, and vegetables, and heighten the flavour with fragrant herbs and spices. Once opened the road, try two nights per week.
6. Use good fats. Include healthy fats in daily meals, ESPECIALLY EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, nuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, OLIVES and avocados.
7. Enjoy some dairy products. Eat Greek or plain yoghurt, and try small amounts of a variety of cheeses.
8. For dessert, eat fresh fruit. Choose from a wide range of delicious fresh fruits from fresh figs and oranges to pomegranates, grapes and apples. Instead of daily ice cream or cookies, save sweets for a special treat or celebration.
And now enjoy some simple recipes based on olives and olive oil !
Pickled olives Although olives taste just fine on their own, they become special party food when dressed up with a marinade. Heres a delicious mixture you can make yourself. Remember to allow time for the olives to soak in their spicy bath. These also make great gifts. Ingredients: ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons vinegar ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon crushed red hot pepper 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups ripe olives Instructions: In a large jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine all the ingredients except the olives. Cover and shake well. Add olives, cover, and swirl to coat the olives with the marinade. Keep in a cool place at least 2 hours or up to 1 month before serving. Serve at room temperature with wooden picks.
Olives crostini Crostini are usually served on their own as a delicious appetizer. Ingredients: 10-12 slices rustic whole wheat bread Extra-virgin olive oil 1 cup green or black olives 2 cloves garlic 1 tablespoon lemon juice 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Instructions: Preheat the oven to 200°C. Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet, brush the tops with olive oil, and bake for about 6 minutes per side, until lightly toasted. Mix the olives, garlic, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a food processor and blend to form a smooth paste. Spread the mixture on the toasts.
What could be easier? Heres the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. Ingredients: 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley ¼ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes ¼ cup grated Pecorino cheese 1 box (1 pound) thin spaghetti Instructions: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, parsley, and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water. Immediately add the hot pasta to the pan. If necessary, add a little bit of the reserved pasta cooking water and mix well. Add the cheese and serve hot. OIL, GARLIC AND RED CHILI PEPPER SPAGHETTI
Now … a really unusual dessert! EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL ICE CREAM Ingredients: ½ litre milk 100 gr. extra virgin olive oil 100 gr. sugar a pinch of salt 1 small envelope of saffron a pinch of vanilla powder Heat half of the milk with the sugar and the salt to melt them well. Add the remaing milk, let the mixture cool and then add the extra virgin olive oil, the saffron and the vanilla. Mix well and put in the ice cream maker, following the instructions. If you dont have one, put the mixture in the freezer and mix from time to time until smooth and creamy.
AND FINALLY, DID YOU KNOW …? The Mediterranean Diet is World Heritage