2FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE is using language to create a strong image in the reader’s mind.
3I’m so angry I could blow my top. “Blow my top” is an example of FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE. It doesn’t mean his head is going to blow up. The writer wants you, the reader, to understand he is very angry!Blow my top is an idiom.
4I’m so hungry I could eat a horse. The writer is exaggerating his hunger. He means he is very hungry, but he wants the reader to be able to understand how hungry he is.So, he writes using FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE. I could eat a horse is an hyperbole.
6“He hit the ground like a ton of bricks.” (The Contest) “Being under so much pressure stinks like a pile of dirty socks.” (Million Dollar Throw)“He hit the ground like a ton of bricks.” (The Contest)“The walk up his street was as quiet and empty as an abandoned bird’s nest. (Taking Sides)
7Metaphors compare two things. His armpits were wet sponges from his nervousness. (Taking Sides)The remaining seven were pillars of strength. (The Contest)The football was a bullet shooting through the air. (Million Dollar Throw)
8Personification makes an idea or thing seem like a person. The broken sculpture had shattered her Everest dream. (The Contest)The cookies made him feel normal in a house that was falling apart. (Million Dollar Throw)His swollen knee screamed each time he planted his leg. (Taking Sides)
9IDIOMS are expressions that don’t mean what they say. If he was playing for Franklin, life would be sweet.(Taking Sides)If you make that throw, your parents could end up in fat city. (Million Dollar Throw)Sometimes my brain just goes wild. (The Contest)
10sound is like the meaning. ONOMATOPOEIA is a word whosesound is like the meaning.The water dripping from the faucet and the wind tapping a branch on his bedroom window were frightening. (Taking Sides)The shattering glass awakened all of them. (The Contest)The ball slapped into the receivers hands. (Million Dollar Throw)
11We will review Hyperboles and Alliteration at a later time.
12In the next slides you will be matching an example of figurative language to a definition. You will need paper and pencil. Number your paper from to You will only write the letter of the correct answer. You may refer back to this slide.
131. What type of figurative language compares two unlike objects using like or as? A. simile B. metaphor C. idiom D. personification E. onomatopia
142. What type of figurative language uses the sound of a word to create an image for the reader? A. simile B. metaphor C. idiom D. personification E. onomatopia
153. What type of figurative language compares two objects that are not similar? A. simile B. metaphor C. idiom D. personification E. onomatopia
164. What type of figurative language gives human qualities to an object 4. What type of figurative language gives human qualities to an object? A. simile B. metaphor C. idiom D. personification F. onomatopia
175. What type of figurative language is an expression that doesn’t mean what the words say? A. simile B. metaphor C. idiom D. personification E. onomatopia
19Now try to use what you have reviewed in your own writing. Write a simile on your paper. (Write the entire sentence. Be sure to include a capital and correct punctuation.)6. His teeth were as white as….Underline the simile.
207. Write a sentence using this idiom. The light went on in her head when…..Underline the idiom.
21Write a sentence with this idiom. 8. He can never keep a secret. I got so angry when he let the cat out of the bag about…..Underline the idiom.
22Write a sentence using onomatopoeia. 9. The splat of the catsup on the counter……..Underline the onomatopoeia.
23Write a sentence using personification. 10. The stars danced across…… Underline the personification.
24Write a sentence with this metaphor. 11. He was a pillar of strength when his family was…..Underline the metaphor.
25Now, you will write what type of figurative language the next 6 sentences show.
26_____12. Dad would skin me alive if I did that. _____13. Please don’t slurp your soup._____14. The car was too old and tired to make thetrip._____15. He takes care of his grandmother afterschool. That boy is an angel._____16. We need to clear the air before I’ll be yourfriend again.
27Put your paper in the drawer. Now check your answers.12. Idiom13. Onomatopoeia14. Personification15. Metaphor16. IdiomPut your paper in the drawer.