Presentation on theme: "Outline 1. CNAD POW DAT –EOD Introduction 2. Evaluation of EOD LN business Requirements and Projects Status 3. NATO Overview regarding EOD bodies,organizations,guidance,"— Presentation transcript:
Outline 1. CNAD POW DAT –EOD Introduction 2. Evaluation of EOD LN business Requirements and Projects Status 3. NATO Overview regarding EOD bodies,organizations,guidance, areas of responsibility, 4. Munitions Bulk Disposal Scope Request for Study regarding Bulk Disposal needs, expected outcomes 5. CONCLUSION
12/09/2007 RTO AVT-115, SOFIA 2007 CNAD POW DAT EOD Lead Nation overview
Countering the Global Terrorism NATO ISTANBUL SUMMIT – July 2004
1.Large Aircraft Survivability 2.Protecting Harbours & Vessels from Surface and Subsurface Threats 3.Protection of Helicopters from Rocket- Propelled Grenades (RPGs) 4.Countering Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) 5.Precision Air-Drop Technology for Special Operation Forces 6.Detection, Protection and Defeat of CBRN Weapons 7.Technology for Intelligence, Reconnaissance, Surveillance and Target Acquisition of Terrorists 9. Defence Against Mortar Attacks 10. Protection of Critical Infrastructure 8. Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and Consequence Management EOD&CM - CNAD POW DAT- Item 8
1. CNAD POW DAT -EOD Lead Nation LN should coordinate NATO and PFP nations effort in order to : Identify NATO groups and committees involved to EOD area, Analyze current state and to propose possible Way Ahead of jointness, Identify technologies, which can help and contribute Alliance capabilities in DAT as whole, Identify NATO military requirements on relevant DAT Item system (take into account a police implications and civil requirements), Ensure coordination of common, and at same time, joint NATO and PFP nations effort in this area.
1. CNAD POW DAT -EOD Lead Nation This EOD&CM initiative aims : - to prevent existing stockpiles of munitions from falling into the hands of terrorists and increase NATO's ability to dispose of these stockpiles. -to improve the capabilities of EOD specialists in neutralizing improvised explosive devices and to establish a common database on existing ordnance and developing new technologies for detection and ordnance disposal.
Two ways of defining military requirements and shortfalls in EOD area for subsequent projects generation : Bottom-up approach – requirements collected during the organized adhoc conferences, seminars, exhibitions and organized demonstrations by EOD LN (addressed to) Top-down approach –LN tasked by relevant NATO authority (ACT, SCs...), Holistic approach during the project generation also necessary-looking at the whole system of processes related to projects within an organisation rather than just concentrating on individual parts solution. 1. CNAD POW DAT -EOD Lead Nation
SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES TOWARDS THE EOD LN INITIAL PROJECT LIST ESTABLISHMENT: September 04 – 1st NATO EOD Conference in Bratislava, December 04 – 1st List of Short Term Projects issued, October 05 -2nd NATO EOD Conference in Bojnice, March 06 –EOD LN Seminar during the IDEB 2006, March nad June 07 – EOD LN WORKSHOPS –EOD IS ANA Development May 07 – EOD Demonstrations and Trials 2007 & 3rd EOD international Conference in Vienna and Felixdorf
EOD STANDARDISATION Standardisation of EOD proficiency - STANAG 2389 EOD Equipment Standardization - STANAG 2897 Need for NATO standard for EOD Forensics 2282 and 2143Command and Control –STANAGs 2282 and 2143 STATUS: Shortfalls solved by NSA EOD WG - all nations via EOD WG need to ratify related STANAGs in order to achieve progress 2. EOD Lead Nation Project List EOD TRAINING AND INTEROPERABILITY: Request for EOD CoE- Slovakia is building national EOD capacity– future EOD CoE. STATUS: ACT Fact Finding Mission in EOD CoE planned in october 2007.
2. EOD Lead Nation Project List EOD TRAINING AND INTEROPERABILITY: Training – Exercices Requirements: to develop catalogue for practical training sites limitations; need to increase joint EOD exercise and training, STATUS: list of offered training sites will be a part of the EOD LN web site, joint exercises focussed on EOD Officers C2 exercising to be conducted in the EOD CoE. NATO Certification Teams NATO countries requirements: to ensure nations are satisfying training requirements, once STANAG is ratified STATUS: recommended for further solution by ACT or NSA EOD WG
2. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIES UAV Born Sensor for areal location of hidden ammunition stockpiles: Requirements: to develop sensors for use in UAVs, forum for discussion about new technologies STATUS: 1st phase of the project closed in cooperation with SVK and AUS companies by practical trial in Australia in November 2006, forum – part of the EOD web site.Project results were presented at the EOD International Conference in Vienna in may 2007. 2nd development phase to be started in 2007 (Partial overlap with Bulk disposal project). Project is supported from NATO DI DAT funds.
2. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIES Development of standardized EOD NATO messages and reports, and information analyze tool integrated in available EOD information system: Requirements: development of exchange EOD related information in a standardized way via digitalized files as well as a tool for command and control for EOD operations, compatible with the UN IMSMA STATUS:EOD IS system developed by Swedish Armed Forces as a world known integrated EOD information management system used by many NATO countries choosen. Concept outline was approved, project is in development phase. First delivery planned by the end of 2007. ). Project is supported from NATO DI DAT funds.
2. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIES Development of training set for the training of EOR, EOD and IED experts. Requirements: to develop of the training kit simulating explosive device initiation process, designed to support Improvise Explosive Device awareness, as well as Military search and Explosive Ordnance Reconnaissance training. This tool should enable trainers to offer the trainees realistic exercises and control their performance. STATUS:The set was created in cooperation with SVK company PYRA a.s, and presented during the EOD Demonstrations & Trials 2007. It was evaluated as suitable tool for the training of EOR and basic course for EOD operators in training of the search, de - mining and C-IED.2nd phase project will be elaborated based on the Vienna EOD Seminar outputs. Project is supported from NATO DI DAT funds.
2. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIES Development of EOD Information Website: Requirements: possibility of electronic information exchange –request for a web based system. Such system should cover: EOD Lessons learned, Information about national research and development,Information about current operations (post incident and forensic reports incl. training, courses and facilities catalogue.),Also should include forum for discussions about new EOD technologies and Equipment database. STATUS:secured website developed by EOD LN team is functional, since july 2007 run by SVK EOD CoE. For successful functionality it needs only active participation by all EOD experts from both – military and industry,especially active work of national POCs who were declared at the latest EOD WG sessions. ADDRESS : https://www.mosr.sk/eod
2. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIES Munition Bulk Disposal Requirements: need to locate, identify, secure and dispose of ammunition stockpiles to prevent adversaries acquiring them for IED use.Development of new technologies. STATUS: option of study by EOD LN in 2008, Cooperation with RTO - AVT 115 regarding the disposal,
EOD LN Roadmap –way ahead Continuing in development of elaborated projects and covering the existing shortfalls towards the improvement of NATO capabilities In the CNAD POW DAT EOD & Consequence Management Area Main project and domain – EOD Centrum of Excellence
3. Overview regarding munition disposal Disposal = Munitions Lifecycle end when not used, Huge amount of obsolete and redundant ammunition on the Globe including ERW, increased gradually after the Cold War end and calls now for increasing of demilitarization capabilities and technologies development, Munitions ageing especially exposed in open stocks– significant hazards even when stored and guarded, Requests for NATO assistance in demilitarisation addressed from non NATO Nations increase in numbers, Terrorist threats and possibility of ammunition use by them in various forms including IED, Environmental aspects to be respected durring the disposal process -demilitarization,
3. Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES : 1.CNAD Ammunition Safety Group - AC/ 326: SG 1 – Energetic materials, SG 2 – Initiation systems, SG 3 – Munition systems, SG 4 – Transport and logistics, SG 5 – Logistic storage and disposal, (AASTP -1,AASTP-5) SG 6 –Operational safety, (coopearation with MSIAC) 2.CNAD POW DAT –Items 8 (EOD&CM) and 4 (C-IED). - NATO DI (ARM) –CTTU team coordination,
3. Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES : 3. NSA – Explosives Ordnance Working Group The main experts group dealing with EOD Standardisation Issues, reflecting on lessons learned from the operations... STANAG 2282-ATP-72 defines principles for structuring and conducting multinational EOD operations by forces.. EOD forces –employment to counter EO, including UXO. Their task-to ensure personnel and material protection, to assist in maintanance or restoration of friendly forces in order to achieve operational freedom.
3. NATO Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES : 3. NSA – Explosives Ordnance Working Group EOD -VITAL OPERATIONAL SUPPORTING FUNCTION... (May be required to assist in stockpile disposal), HMA not normally considered for EOD function, EOD procedures results most likely in RSPs, BIP, Open burn... (OPOD),depends on entire units capability as well as on scenario, 4. NSA – Interservice Ammo Working Group Ammunition changeability and catalogues
3. NATO Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES : 5.NAAG Land Capability Group 7 (LCG-7), EOD LN Liaison 6.RTO AVT-115 - Task Group on Environmental Impact of Munitions and propellant disposal, Removal of existing environmental impact, Prevention of future environmental impact, including disposal design,
3. NATO Overview regarding munition and its disposal OTHER ORGANISATIONS : Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, UN Mine Action Service, Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining, International Bans and Conventions
4. MUNITIONS BULK DISPOSAL Study Scope and Expectations : to review latest demilitarization technologies (environment friendly) technologies available in order to familiarize the EOD community, to define basic conditions in applying of them (possibility of use by EOD engaged in operations in a future would be desired), to define the applicable shortfalls and further bulk disposal technologies development trends for EOD, to provide any recommendations for enhancement of NATO /PfP EOD Capabilities,
4. CONCLUSION Request for assistance and cooperation from RTO: Providing the AVT-115 latest study when finished, with possible recommendations... Participation to organised events by LN ( Demonstrations, Conferencies, Seminars ) conducted under NATO DI auspicies within CNAD POW DAT, Next in 2008 Participation on EOD LN Website running, by providing inputs in the form of news regarding technologies development program, events callendar etc. In accordance with website TOR.
Contact Major Drahoslav HAGARA(SVK MOD) Drahoslav.Hagara@mil.sk, Tel.+421.960.321.207