Presentation on theme: "Outline 1. CNAD POW DAT –EOD Introduction"— Presentation transcript:
1Outline 1. CNAD POW DAT –EOD Introduction 2. Evaluation of EOD LN businessRequirements and Projects Status3. NATO Overview regarding EODbodies ,organizations,guidance, areas of responsibility,4. Munitions Bulk DisposalScopeRequest for Study regarding Bulk Disposal needs, expected outcomes5. CONCLUSIONTaking in consideration the fact that this group main subject does not belong directly to EOD bussiness ,WE IDENTIFIE LINKS BETWEEN MUNITIONS ENVIRONMENTAL DISPOSAL AND CNAD POW DAT CONSEQUENCE MANAGEMENT ISSUES.So I have decided to devide my presentation into following main points
2CNAD POW DAT EOD Lead Nation overview RTO AVT-115, SOFIA 2007CNAD POW DATEOD Lead Nationoverviewladies and gentlemen,I am major Drahoslav Hagara and I work for Armaments Division of Slovak MoD subordinated to National Armament Director as EOD Lead Nations Section Chief. In the begining I would lik to pronounce great thank for inviting me..I am glad with your presence here and with the oportunity to introduce to you the tasks of Slovakia as a NATO Lead Nation in EOD and Consequence Management realized within the CNAD PoW DAT.12/09/2007
3Countering the Global Terrorism NATO ISTANBUL SUMMIT – July 2004 So let start,Based on the fact that this is the first time I have the opportunity to present my job I would like to introduce the program of work , we have been acting for.Everybody knows that World has been facing to daily terorist attacks dangerandWe have of course to to take some countermeasures.So NATO highest representatives organized in July 2004 the Summit with aim to reflect on this threats..
4Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and Consequence Management EOD&CM - CNAD POW DAT- Item 8Large Aircraft SurvivabilityProtecting Harbours & Vessels from Surface and Subsurface ThreatsProtection of Helicopters from Rocket-Propelled Grenades (RPGs)Countering Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)Precision Air-Drop Technology for Special Operation ForcesDetection, Protection and Defeat of CBRN WeaponsTechnology for Intelligence, Reconnaissance, Surveillance and Target Acquisition of TerroristsDefence Against Mortar AttacksProtection of Critical InfrastructureThe Items or areas are following.As you can see, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD)and Consequence Management is the number 8Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD)and Consequence Management
51. CNAD POW DAT -EOD Lead Nation LN should coordinate NATO and PFP nations effort in order to :Identify NATO groups and committees involved to EOD area,Analyze current state and to propose possible Way Aheadof jointness,Identify technologies, which can help and contributeAlliance capabilities in DAT as whole,Identify NATO military requirements on relevant DAT Itemsystem (take into account a police implications and civilrequirements),Ensure coordination of common, and at same time, jointNATO and PFP nations effort in this area.Because the each area is specific, the Lead nations have also specific tasks in order to succeed in their characterized bussiness.EOD lead nation should coordinate the nations effort in order to:
61. CNAD POW DAT -EOD Lead Nation This EOD&CM initiative aims :- to prevent existing stockpiles of munitions fromfalling into the hands of terrorists and increase NATO's abilityto dispose of these stockpiles.to improve the capabilities of EOD specialists in neutralizingimprovised explosive devices and to establish a common database on existing ordnance and developing new technologies for detection and ordnance disposal.So , the question is : What are the EOD and CM initiative aims, which areas should be covered by us?We aim to...
71. CNAD POW DAT -EOD Lead Nation Two ways of defining military requirements and shortfalls inEOD area for subsequent projects generation :Bottom-up approach – requirements collected during the organized adhoc conferences , seminars, exhibitions and organized demonstrations by EOD LN (addressed to)Top-down approach –LN tasked by relevant NATO authority(ACT, SCs...),„Holistic approach“ during the project generation also necessary-looking at the whole system of processes related to projects within an organisation rather than just concentrating onindividual parts solution.In defining the subjects of Lead Nation focus and possible projects generation, there are two basic approaches.1.Bottom-up2.Top-downIn order to work effectively we have to work considerably and determine carefully each step so HOLISTIC APPROCH is crucial in project generation.What does it mean? .....
81. CNAD POW DAT -EOD Lead Nation SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES TOWARDS THE EOD LN INITIAL PROJECT LIST ESTABLISHMENT:September 04 – 1st NATO EOD Conference in Bratislava,December 04 – 1st List of Short Term Projects issued,October 05 -2nd NATO EOD Conference in Bojnice,March 06 –EOD LN Seminar during the IDEB 2006,March nad June 07 – EOD LN WORKSHOPS –EOD IS ANA DevelopmentMay 07 – EOD Demonstrations and Trials 2007 & 3rd EOD internationalConference in Vienna and FelixdorfI would like also to Inform you for better understanding with basic milestones in EOD Lead nation bussiness generation.Conducted activitie were releasable to NATO and PfP Nations.
92. EOD Lead Nation Project List EOD STANDARDISATIONStandardisation of EOD proficiency - STANAG 2389EOD Equipment Standardization - STANAG 2897Need for NATO standard for EOD ForensicsCommand and Control –STANAGs 2282 and 2143STATUS: Shortfalls solved by NSA EOD WG - all nations via EOD WG need to ratify related STANAGs in order to achieve progressEOD TRAINING AND INTEROPERABILITY:Request for EOD CoE-Slovakia is building national EOD capacity– future EOD CoE.STATUS: ACT Fact Finding Mission in EOD CoE planned in october2007.With using of bottom up approach, there were following projects defined during previous sessions and experts discussion
102. EOD Lead Nation Project List EOD TRAINING AND INTEROPERABILITY:Training – ExercicesRequirements: to develop catalogue for practical training sites limitations; need to increase joint EOD exercise and training,STATUS: list of offered training sites will be a part of the EOD LN web site, joint exercises focussed on EOD Officers C2 exercising to be conducted in the EOD CoE.NATO Certification TeamsNATO countries’ requirements: to ensure nations are satisfying training requirements, once STANAG is ratifiedSTATUS: recommended for further solution by ACT or NSA EOD WG
112. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIESUAV Born Sensor for areal location of hidden ammunition stockpiles:Requirements: to develop sensors for use in UAVs, forum for discussion about new technologiesSTATUS: 1st phase of the project closed in cooperation with SVK and AUS companies by practical trial in Australia in November 2006, forum – part of the EOD web site .Project results were presented at the EOD International Conference in Vienna in may nd development phase to be started in 2007 (Partial overlap with Bulk disposal project).Project is supported from NATO DI DAT funds.
122. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIESDevelopment of standardized EOD NATO messages and reports, and information analyze tool integrated in available EOD information system:Requirements: development of exchange EOD related information in a standardized way via digitalized files as well as a tool for command and control for EOD operations , compatible with the UN IMSMASTATUS:EOD IS system developed by Swedish Armed Forces as a world known integrated EOD information management system used by many NATO countries choosen. Concept outline was approved, project is in development phase . First delivery planned by the end of ).Project is supported from NATO DI DAT funds.
132. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIESDevelopment of training set for the training of EOR, EOD and IED experts .Requirements: to develop of the training kit simulating explosive device initiation process, designed to support Improvise Explosive Device awareness, as well as Military search and Explosive Ordnance Reconnaissance training. This tool should enable trainers to offer the trainees realistic exercises and control their performance.STATUS:The set was created in cooperation with SVK company PYRA a.s, and presented during the EOD Demonstrations & Trials It was evaluated as suitable tool for the training of EOR and basic course for EOD operators in training of the search, de - mining and C-IED.2nd phase project will be elaborated based on the Vienna EOD Seminar outputs.Project is supported from NATO DI DAT funds.
142. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIESDevelopment of EOD Information Website:Requirements: possibility of electronic information exchange –request for a web based system . Such system should cover: EOD Lessons learned, Information about national research and development ,Information about current operations (post incident and forensic reports incl. training, courses and facilities catalogue.),Also should include forum for discussions about new EOD technologies and Equipment database.STATUS:secured website developed by EOD LN team is functional, since july run by SVK EOD CoE. For successful functionality it needs only active participation by all EOD experts from both – military and industry ,especially active work of national POCs who were declared at the latest EOD WG sessions.ADDRESS : https://www.mosr.sk/eod
152. EOD Lead Nation Project List NEW EOD TECHNOLOGIESMunition Bulk DisposalRequirements: need to locate, identify, secure and dispose of ammunition stockpiles to prevent adversaries acquiring them for IED use.Development of new technologies.STATUS: option of study by EOD LN in 2008 ,Cooperation with RTO - AVT 115 regarding the disposal,This project has not been solved yet, despite some overlaps with other EOD LN technology development projects.Lack of more exact requirements and definitions of real NATO needs.That is why this is a hot spot and also particular reason for addressing requests for cooperation with respect to your experts group. I will come back in the end.
16EOD LN Roadmap –way ahead Continuing in development of elaborated projects and covering the existing shortfalls towardsthe improvement of NATO capabilitiesInthe CNAD POW DATEOD & Consequence Management AreaMain project and domain – EOD Centrum of ExcellenceSo what our roadmap will be is also in our hands and we have to plan it carefully in our program of work where is strong demand for precise defence planing system because of budgetary issues. However our main domain will stay th EOD CoE building,
173. Overview regarding munition disposal Disposal = Munitions Lifecycle end when not used,Huge amount of obsolete and redundant ammunition on the Globe including ERW, increased gradually after the Cold War end and calls now for increasing of demilitarization capabilities and technologies development,Munitions ageing especially exposed in open stocks– significant hazards even when stored and guarded,Requests for NATO assistance in demilitarisation addressed from non NATO Nations increase in numbers,Terrorist threats and possibility of ammunition use by them in various forms including IED,Environmental aspects to be respected durring the disposal process -demilitarization,Now I plan to come to munitions disposal issues.Here we have only a few aspects as the inputs for our bussiness.Dispite the fact there is national responsibility , each for his own stocks , there was the lack of assets identified, so the interoperability and internation help is crutial in the World demilitarisation process.
18Lack of space and storage conditionsThese photos are not taken from the same place. Such accident can happen with very high probability in conditions like this.
19Possible impactsIf do not reflect on those challenges we can also have much more different ones
203. Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES :CNAD Ammunition Safety Group - AC/ 326:SG 1 – Energetic materials,SG 2 – Initiation systems,SG 3 – Munition systems,SG 4 – Transport and logistics,SG 5 – Logistic storage and disposal,(AASTP -1,AASTP-5)SG 6 –Operational safety,(coopearation with MSIAC)CNAD POW DAT –Items 8 (EOD&CM) and 4 (C-IED).- NATO DI (ARM) –CTTU team coordination,In order to identify gaps between national safety issuespertaining to ammo disposal (of course environmental friendly) = end of its lifecycle, was madeShort anylyze of existing NATO (UN,EU ) expert groupsand organizations who consider munition at least for the partof own PoW subject. All off following bodies and organisations are strongly encouraged to contribute to relevant POW DAT bussiness by providing valuable advices or requests ,that means for EOD LN , participation to organised events in present as well as in a future.Very close and reasonable link were found between them thus the cirle seems to be closed...
213. Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES :3. NSA – Explosives Ordnance Working GroupThe main experts group dealing with EOD Standardisation Issues, reflecting on lessons learned from the operations ...STANAG 2282-ATP-72 defines principles for structuring and conducting multinational EOD operations by forces..EOD forces –employment to counter EO, including UXO.Their task-to ensure personnel and material protection, to assist in maintanance or restoration of friendly forces in order to achieve operational freedom.This respectfull experts group deals mainly with standardisation issues. Great progress was noticed in their work during tha last few years during our liaison with.
223. NATO Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES :3. NSA – Explosives Ordnance Working GroupEOD -VITAL OPERATIONAL SUPPORTING FUNCTION... (May be required to assist in stockpile disposal) ,HMA not normally considered for EOD function,EOD procedures results most likely in RSPs, BIP, Open burn ... (OPOD) ,depends on entire units capability as well as on scenario,NSA – Interservice Ammo Working GroupAmmunition changeability and cataloguesHowever is necessary to emphasize that EOD is a vital operational function supporting :-inspections of Weapons Storage Sites,-IEDD,-May be requested to assist in bulk disposal,.supports amnesty programs,Humanitarian Mine ACTion is not normally a military EOD task.Other NATO bodies as NAMSA or NIAG also react on requirements regarding ammo disposal issues, however on non permanent basis.
233. NATO Overview regarding munition and its disposal NATO BODIES :NAAG Land Capability Group 7 (LCG-7),EOD LN LiaisonRTO AVT Task Group on Environmental Impact of Munitions and propellant disposal ,Removal of existing environmental impact,Prevention of future environmental impact, including disposal design,Beacause the mines and munitions bellongs to engeneers job as well, I have to mension even this group whose task is mainly focussed on information exchange regarding engeneers standardisation, and technologies development.We as EOD LN liase with this group.And finaly I am pleased to mention your tasking group whith main roles focussed on Removal of existing environmental impact and prevention of future environmental impact, including disposal design.
243. NATO Overview regarding munition and its disposal OTHER ORGANISATIONS :Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe,UN Mine Action Service,Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining,International Bans and ConventionsIn the end of thi part I would like to mension also organisations whose conventions should be also respected. If I did not mension some relevant organization or its part , I would ask you for reminder.
254. MUNITIONS BULK DISPOSAL Study Scope and Expectations :to review latest demilitarization technologies (environment friendly) technologies available in order to familiarize the EOD community,to define basic conditions in applying of them (possibility of use by EOD engaged in operations in a future would be desired),to define the applicable shortfalls and further bulk disposal technologies development trends for EOD,to provide any recommendations for enhancement of NATO /PfP EOD Capabilities,After providing you with thiws list of organisation I woul like to introduce our expectations from the possible studies necessery for further progress on this issue. We are pretty aware that many times are technologies considered fand kept as know how by companies, who want to make a bussiness by applying them in demilitarisation process directly . However we need to bring them to cooperate in order to make a sophisticated review.So what we need is having a good picture about-what is available ,what should be developed in order to improve NATO, even national capabilities with aim to get rid of redundant munitions in environment friendly way.In recent years ther were ideas of building Mobile (Portable) EOD Units capable of dismatling and recycling of certain types of ammunition defined as shortfals.If such an idea seems realistic from the RTO study results point of view, there should be recommendation for further study focussed on such units Capabilty, equipment, DEMANDS ON PERSONNEL, standardised capacity (comparison data) and procedures principals.
264. CONCLUSION Request for assistance and cooperation from RTO: Providing the AVT-115 latest study when finished, with possible recommendations ...Participation to organised events by LN ( Demonstrations, Conferencies, Seminars ) conducted under NATO DI auspicies within CNAD POW DAT, Next in 2008Participation on EOD LN Website running, by providing inputs in the form of news regarding technologies development program, events callendar etc . In accordance with website TOR.After providing you with thiws list of organisation I woul like to introduce our expectations from the possible studies necessery for further progress on this issue. We are pretty aware that many times are technologies considered and kept as know how by companies, who want to make a bussiness by applying them in demilitarisation process directly . However we need to bring them to cooperate in order to make a sophisticated review.So what we need is having a good picture about-what is available ,what should be developed in order to improve NATO, even national capabilities with aim to get rid of redundant munitions in environment friendly way.Establishment of POC between RTO and EOD LN,
27Contact Major Drahoslav HAGARA(SVK MOD) For any further questions and good contacts please remember mine...´which you can see on the slideMajor Drahoslav HAGARA(SVK MOD)Tel