area – 582 sq km population –70 thousand agricultural area – 50% forest area – 28,2% remaining area-13,8%
GEOGRAPHICAL POSITION GEOGRAPHICAL POSITION Leżajsk is situated in the eastern part of podkarpackie province. The area contains the provinces of external West Karpaty, the macroregion of Sandomierska Dale and four mezoregions.
Left: Leżajsk Market Square south frontage viewed from the roundabout with its emblem made from flowers. Below: the emblem of Leżajsk
The Bernardine Monastery complex from a birds eye view. Leżajsk is one of the oldest towns in south eastern Poland. The beginning of the town was connected with a protoslavonic settlement. In 1397 the royal village Leżajsk was granted municipal rights by king Władysław Jagiełło.
The monument of Władysław Jagiełło on the Market Square Market Square- north frontage
An old Greek Catholic Church erected in the years 1828-1832, currently Merciful Lord Jesus Catholic Church The Holy Trinity and All Saints parish church main building built in the years 1604-1616
LEŻAJSK BASILICA View from the west The main entrance
Musical choir, the view and positive of the organ dating from around 1680-1687 and 1723 and 1798
The main/middle nave and the world famous altar Basilica presbytory stalls made in 1648 by friars
Market Square Tower- the bell tower of the Parish Church Building dating from 1610
The Jew Cementery and the Leżajsk Kirkut The kirkut in which the tomb of wonder-rabbi Elimenech from Leżajsk (1717-1787) is situated. Although centuries have passed, Elimenech remains a legendary figure in Leżajsk. Chasids who pilgrimage to his grave bring thousands of little paper scraps on which thay ask for health and success.
Recently there have been lots of new buildings developed in Leżajsk, like this one in Mickiewicza street, housing different offices The building of Leżajsk Forest Inspectorate Headquaters