Presentation on theme: "Pre-1794 the Manor House was a working farm with few architectural features of note. Benjamin Tillstone later acquired the house and began renovation."— Presentation transcript:
Pre-1794 the Manor House was a working farm with few architectural features of note. Benjamin Tillstone later acquired the house and began renovation. He was responsible for the building of the Georgian-Italian façade, below. This photograph shows the house as it was pre-1913 and before the greenhouse, left, was demolished. At this point, the copper-faced canopy, above, dating from the 18 th century was still in place. Left and rear, the Tithe Barn.
The Manor House circa 1913. The copper canopy/walkway has been taken down and replaced with a glass conservatory. The new, southern extension, left.
Internal view of the glass conservatory, or winter garden, circa 1913.
Side view of the new, southern extension, built circa 1913.
Brighton and Hove Council, then known as Brighton Corporation, acquired the property in 1927 and subsequent works included remodelling the conservatory and painting over the original brickwork, unfortunately with a less than pleasing result.
After two years in the planning, renovation of the façade of the building began in February 2011. This involved removing the old conservatory which not only lacked aesthetic appeal, but also created a hot-house effect.
The building with all remnants of the previous canopy/conservatory removed.
The façade of the building has been completely renovated. We are now able to see how the original 18 th century canopy and walkway actually looked. In addition, New York Stone paving has been laid beneath the canopy - restoring yet another original feature.