Presentation on theme: "What Are My Rights? Teen Dating Violence and the Law Bronwyn Blake, J.D. Founder and Senior Attorney: Teen Justice Initiative Texas Advocacy Project."— Presentation transcript:
What Are My Rights? Teen Dating Violence and the Law Bronwyn Blake, J.D. Founder and Senior Attorney: Teen Justice Initiative Texas Advocacy Project
Texas Advocacy Project: Teen Justice Initiative 20/20: Violence and Dating: 4/1/05 Ortralla Mosley
Domestic Violence Dating Violence Jennifer Lopez in EnoughJulia Roberts in Sleeping with the Enemy
Domestic Violence Dating Violence RhiannaCarrie Underwood in Before He Cheats
Domestic Violence Dating Violence One-third of teens report experiencing some kind of abuse in their romantic relationships, including verbal and emotional abuse. Carolyn Tucker Halpern, Ph.D. et al., "Partner Violence among Adolescents in Opposite-Sex Romantic Relationships: Findings from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health." American Journal of Public Health 91 (2001) Females ages are more vulnerable to intimate partner violence than any other age group – at a rate almost triple the national average. U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Special Report: Intimate Partner Violence and Age of Victim, (Oct. 2001, rev. 11/28/01). Legal services are the only service that correlates with a decrease in domestic abuse. Farmer & J. Tiefenthaler, Explaining the Recent Decline in Domestic Violence, CONTEMPORARY ECONOMIC POLICY, vol. 21, pp (April 2003). For instance, Protective Orders are as much as 80% effective in preventing future violence. Holt, Victoria L., Kernic, Mary A., Lumley, Thomas, Wolf, Marsha E., and Rivara, Frederick P., Civil Protection Orders and Risk of Subsequent Police-Reported Violence, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V. 288 (5), August 7, 2002,
Overview: Teen Legal Options 1. Legal Services Overview 2. Criminal Options 3. Civil Options 4. School Options 5. Resources
1. Legal Services Overview Working with Teens: Safety First Build trust Ask specific questions Act fast Extra help with decision making Be flexible mcgruffstore.com
1. Legal Services Overview (continued) Preliminary Legal Issues: Minor parties? Legal definitions includes dating? Mandatory reporting? Cunningham, Karen and Catherine F. Klein, Esq. Teen Dating Violence, The Impact of Domestic Violence on Your Legal Practice (2nd Edition). The American Bar Association Commission on Domestic Violence.
2. Criminal Options Make a statement File charges: Assault Stalking Sexual Assault Emergency Orders Victim Compensation
3. Civil Options Civil Domestic Violence Protection Orders Civil court orders that a victim can request from the court to get protection from an abuser. The protection order can order an abuser to: stop harming the victim, stop having contact with the victim, or stop contacting the victim at work, school, or at the victims childrens school or daycare.
3. Civil Options (continued) Problems with Teen Access: Definitions: Dating? Stalking? Can a minor file? Filing fees? How long do they last? Dating Violence: Can Teens Access Protection Orders? Cheryl Green and Lara Murray Mohlhenrich, National Center for Victims of Crime, 2005.
3. Civil Options (continued) Do I qualify? Type of relationship Type of Abuse Age How do I get a Protection Order? What can I ask For? How much will it Cost? BreaktheCycle.org
3. Civil Options (continued) Case studies: California Virginia Texas
3. Civil Options (continued)
4. School Options School Policies Regarding Dating Violence: Definitions Developing a Response Prevention and Training Interventions in the Schools Safety Planning Record Keeping
4. School Options (continued) Case Studies: Massachusetts New York Texas Rhode Island California Nebraska HealthyTeenDating.orgTexasAdvocacyProject.org
4. School Options (continued)
Sexual Harassment Hostile Hallways Eight in 10 students (81 percent) experience some form of sexual harassment during their school lives Girls are more likely than boys to experience sexual harassment ever (83 percent vs. 79 percent) Title IX AAUW.org
5. Resources General National Info: Break the Cycles TheSafeSpace.org CDCs ChooseRespect.org Liz Claibornes LoveIsNotAbuse.org I saw Dave yelling at Megan in the hall so I asked him to stop
5. Resources Victim Assistance: National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline LoveIsRepect.org TTY
Presenter Information: Bronwyn Blake Founder and Senior Attorney, Teen Justice Initiative Texas Advocacy Project (512) office (512) fax PO Box 833 Austin, Texas Texas Dating/Family Violence Legal Line SAFE