Presentation on theme: "What does poisonous mean? A poison is anything that a person breathes in, touches or tastes that might be harmful Almost any chemical can be a poison."— Presentation transcript:
What does poisonous mean? A poison is anything that a person breathes in, touches or tastes that might be harmful Almost any chemical can be a poison if there is enough in the body The Dose Makes The Poison
What is a Poison Exposure? Exposure simply means to come in contact with Anytime a person breathes in, touches or tastes something that might be harmful. Ingestion swallowing substances Inhalation breathing in gases, vapors, dusts or mites Direct contact on the skin, in the eyes
The effect of a poison exposure depends on: The substance The amount The length of time of the exposure The type of exposure The age, weight and health of exposed person
On average the California Poison Control System receives 300,000 calls per year 51% occurred in children under 6 years. 94% occurred in the home. 78% were managed at home over the phone with help from one of our experts.
Top 3 Reasons Children 1-3 Years Old were Hospitalized or Died from an Injury in California (2003) *Source: California Department of Health Services, Epidemiology Prevention and Injury Control (EPIC) Branch. **Note: The total number of injury related hospitalizations and deaths in California during 2002 numbered at Burns/Scalds 16% Poisonings 24% Falls 60%
0-5 year-olds: Develop new abilities every day (grasping, grabbing, reaching, climbing) Put things in their mouth Dont always learn from experience Imitate adults Taste and smell not fully developed Children are at greatest risk
From a Childs Point of View Standing at about 2 feet high or less Exploring their environment Curious to touch and taste items they can reach in the: KitchenBathroom BedroomLiving Room
When Do Most Poisonings Occur? When adults are distracted while using a product Around dinner time Poison Control Centers get most of their calls between 4-10 p.m.
Most Common Things Kids Get Into Make-up/Personal Care Products Cleaning Products Medicines Swallowing small objects Plants
Personal Care Products Oral Hygiene toothpaste with fluoride, mouthwash Perfumes/Colognes/Aftershave Hair Care chemical relaxers, hair spray Make-up Nail Care u nail polish, nail polish remover
Household Cleaners Packaged in attractive, colorful containers Liquids may look like juice or soda to children Some products can burn the skin, eyes, lips, tongue, mouth, throat and stomach: toilet bowl cleaners oven cleaners, drain openers mildew removers, stain removers u IF THE PERSON HAS TAKEN ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS, DO NOT MAKE THE PERSON VOMIT!
Mixing Cleaners is Dangerous Products with chlorine should NEVER be mixed with other cleaners Liquid bleach Scouring powders Mildew cleaners Always rinse area thoroughly before using a second product
Medicines Analgesics pain relievers like acetaminophen and aspirin Improper dosage adult medications = toxic to children Foreign medications not always regulated Supplements vitamins
Children and Medicines Medicines are the leading cause of serious and sometimes fatal poison ingestions Medicines and vitamins often look like candy to children Children like to imitate adults when they see them taking medicines Adults mistakenly call medicine candy to get children to take real medicine
Plants If child bites a leaf of a plant, it often results in minor uncomfortable symptoms burning pain in the mouth stomach upset Most indoor house plants are not dangerous Outdoor plants can be dangerous
Food Poisoning Common causes improper cooking improper storage of foods poor hygiene Common symptoms vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain usually starts within few hours
The Poison Action Line Immediate free treatment advice over the phone Calls from the public Calls from hospitals and medical professionals Calls from Emergency Medical Services dispatchers Police and Fire Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Leading source of poison help and information
Poison Action Line Public service of the California Poison Control System Toll- Free phone number in California Parents receive immediate treatment advice from a poison expert Parents are encouraged to call for poison emergencies and for questions during uncertain situations Dont Guess. Be Sure. Call anytime you are not sure!
The California Poison Control System One organization with four call centers managed by the University of California San Francisco School of Pharmacy UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento SF General Hospital in San Francisco Childrens Hospital of Central California in Fresno/Madera UC San Diego Medical Center in San Diego
Public Service Public Service California Poison Action Line FAST, PRIVATE, EXPERT, FREE Interpreting service for over 100 languages Line for the hearing and speech impaired
Who Answers the Phone? Clinical Pharmacists Physicians Registered Nurses Poison Information Providers
Questions Asked by Poison Control Center Staff Name of substance and label ingredients Amount involved When exposure occurred Any symptoms or reactions Age and weight of person exposed Phone number for follow-up call
What Happens During a Call? The Poison Control Center Staff will: Decide how serious the poisoning is Decide if it can be treated at home, or if you should go to the hospital Tell you what to do – step by step
When Should I Call? Call when poisoning is suspected: u Minor symptoms u No symptoms Call 911 if the following life- threatening symptoms occur: u Seizures u Unconsciousness u Difficulty breathing
Dangers at Home Improper storage of hazardous products Leaving medicines in easy to reach places for children in bedrooms and living rooms Cleaning products stored under kitchen and bathroom sinks, without safety locks
Keeping Safe Keep medicines, personal care, and cleaning products out of childrens reach and in locked in cabinets Keep products in their original containers When distracted while using products, do not leave children alone with product container nearby Know the names of your plants and go to to learn toxic classification
Keeping Safe – Syrup of Ipecac Used for many years to make people vomit in some poisoning cases Poison Control Centers and the American Academy of Pediatrics no longer recommend keeping or using Ipecac in the home If you have Ipecac, throw it out by wrapping it up and putting it in your trash safely, so that children and pets cant get into it before it is picked up
Keeping Safe – Get rid of old medicines Do not keep old medicine in the house, throw it out, but.. Do not flush medicine down the toilet! Throw it out by wrapping it up and placing it in your trash so that children and pets cant get into it before it is picked up
Always Be PreparedCall The Poison Action Line Always Be Prepared to Call The Poison Action Line Dont Guess. Be Sure. Keep the Poison Action Line number near every phone If you suspect a poisoning, call the Poison Action Line first.