Presentation on theme: "Heat Transfer, Forms of Energy, Electricity and Magnetism 1. On a hot day, Jenny walked home from the grocery store with a bag of chocolate chips. When."— Presentation transcript:
Heat Transfer, Forms of Energy, Electricity and Magnetism 1. On a hot day, Jenny walked home from the grocery store with a bag of chocolate chips. When she arrived home the chocolate chips had melted in the bag. Why did the chocolate chips melt? a.Heat transferred from the chocolate chips to the bag. b.Heat evaporated from the bag to the chocolate chips. c.Heat transferred from the environment to the chocolate chips. d.Heat condensed from her hand to the chocolate chips.
2. Energy appears in many forms. What form of energy is lightning? a.Electrical energy b.Mechanical energy c.Magnetic energy d.Sound energy
3. A glass of water kept at room temperature long enough will become empty because a.Water molecules slowly leak through the walls of the glass. b.Water molecules move into the air as gas molecules. c.Water left in the glass starts to boil and becomes a gas. d.Water slowly combines with oxygen to become a carbon dioxide.
4. Suppose you had four spoons the same size and shape made out of glass, plastic, steel, and wood. Which spoon handle would get hot the quickest when the spoons are placed in a pan of hot water? a.The glass spoon b.The plastic spoon c.The steel spoon d.The wooden spoon
5. When water boils in a pan on a hot burner, heat gets to the water mainly by a.Conduction of heat through the pan b.Radiation of heat through the pan. c.Reflection of heat from the burner. d.Absorption of heat from the air in the room.
6. When ice cream is left out of the freezer on a table for a long time, it melts. This change in state is caused by the a.Ice cream absorbing heat. b.Ice cream giving up heat. c.Air absorbing heat. d.Table absorbing heat.
7. Which of the following best explains why the end of a spoon sticking out of a cup of hot water also get hot? a.The hot water causes a chemical reaction to take place in the spoon. b.The heat from the hot water is conducted to the spoon handle. c.The hot water heats the air surrounding the upper part of the spoon. d.The hot water causes a physical change in the spoon handle.
8. Which of the following is an example of kinetic energy? a.A child jumping rope b.A swimmer ready to dive c.A stuffed toy lying on a table d.Firewood stacked in a fireplace
9. When electrical energy is used by an electric light, what really happens to the electrical energy? a.It is given off as another form of energy. b.It changes to matter. c.It stops at the electric light. d.It disappears.
10. Juan thinks that water will evaporate faster in a warm place than in a cool one. He has two identical bowls and a bucket of water. He wants to do an experiment to find out if he is correct. Which one of the following should he do? a.Place a bowl of water in a cool place and a bowl holding the same amount of water in a warm place. b.Place two bowls holding the same amount of water in a warm place. c.Place a bowl of water in a cool place and a bowl holding twice as much mater in a warm place. d.Place a bowl of water in a cool place and a bowl holding half as much water in a warm place.
11. To pull up a bucket of water from a well, George pulled hard on a handle to wind up a rope. Which kind of energy was George applying to the handle? a.Chemical energy b.Frictional energy c.Potential energy d.Mechanical energy
12. What is the process by which heat energy gets to Earth from the Sun? a.Conduction b.Radiation c.Sublimation d.Convection
13. Patti used a steel wrench to work on her bicycle on a hot, sunny day. She left the wrench on the hot concrete surface for an hour which she had lunch. When she returned, the wrench was very hot to touch. What is the BEST explanation for how the wrench go so hot? a.Heat transferred from the concrete to the wrench. b.Heat transferred from the wrench to the air. c.Heat transferred from the bicycle to the wrench. d.Heat transferred from the wrench to the concerete.
14. Which situation is an example of increasing potential energy? a.Pulling a wagon uphill b.Emptying a bucket of water c.A cat jumping from a tree d.A bicyclist stopping at a stop sign
15. Gasoline, wood, water behind a dam, and a boulder on the edge of a cliff all represent some form of potential energy. What form of potential energy do gasoline and wood have in common? a.Heat b.Light c.Chemical d.Mechanical
16. On a cold, winter day, Sheena rubs her hands together. Stored chemical energy is transformed into mechanical energy. Due to the Law of Conservation of Energy some of the energy is also transformed into a.Heat energy b.Light energy c.Solar energy d.Kinetic energy
17. What form of energy is associated with the movement of charges, usually electrons? a.Chemical b.Electrical c.Heat d.Sound
18.____________ energy is produced when a force causes a substance to vibrate, and the energy is transferred through the substance in a wave. a.Heat b.Light c.Mechanical d.Sound
19. The energy used to move most bicycles is an example of what type of energy? a.Electrical b.Mechanical c.Chemical d.Nuclear
20. When fossil fuels are burned, their chemical potential energy is converted into a.Nuclear energy b.Electrical energy c.Mechanical energy d.Thermal energy
21. On a hot summer day Leland walked from a grassy area to a hot sidewalk. He felt as if a hot breeze came from the sidewalk to his face. Why? a.Heat travels from molecule to molecule from sidewalk to face. b.The grass absorbs heat more quickly than cement sidewalk c.The hot sidewalk heat the air directly above it and those heated molecules rise. d.The heat was really coming directly from the sun and Leland only thought that the heat came from the sidewalk
22. A balloon floated over a hot sidewalk and begin to rise. Which sentence best explains the energy transfer? a.Heat radiated from the sun, causing the air to rise, causing the upward motion of the balloon. b.The light from the sun expanded the air in the balloon, causing it to rise. c.The heat caused a chemical reaction inside the balloon causing it to rise. d.Static electricity was heated and caused the balloon to rise.
23. What is the negatively charged particle that flows through a circuit? a.Electron b.Proton c.Neutron d.Ion
24. A circuit contains four light bulbs. One light bulb goes out but the other three sty lit. This must be a(n) _____________ circuit. a.Open b.Series c.Parallel d.resistant