Presentation on theme: "Focus On: Nouns What is a noun? A noun noun names a person, place, thing, or idea."— Presentation transcript:
Focus On: Nouns
What is a noun? A noun noun names a person, place, thing, or idea.
Proper Nouns A proper proper noun noun names a particular person, place, or thing. A proper noun may have more than one word. A proper noun starts with a capital capital letter Some S S undays, we go to C C asa R R eynoso, my grandparents restaurant.
Common Nouns Common nouns names any person person, place or thing thing. Common nouns do not start with a capital letter unless they begin a sentence. On Friday nights Annas mother would say the prayers that started the Sabbath. The family ate challah and chicken soup. The quilt was the tablecloth.
Singular & Plural Nouns A singular noun names one one person, place or thing. A plural noun names more more than than one one person, place or thing. cat dog dress butterfly cats dogs dresses butterflies
Plural Nouns To form most plural nouns, add add ss ss to the singular noun. If the singular noun ends in s, x, ch, or sh, add -es -es to the singular noun. bus box lunch wish buses boxes lunches wishes
Now its your turn... Read each question. Think about the choices and try each one. Make your choice. Click the green answer button when youre ready to see the correct answer. Click the red click click to move to the next question. Click
Number 1 1. Which word in dark print is a noun? Newborn kangaroos are smaller than your thumb. Answer d. a. are b. smaller c. your d. thumb Click
2. Which common and proper nouns are written correctly? Choose the sentence. b. a. I had a Friend named Elizabeth sue. b. She lived in a tent on Forest Avenue. c. She flew to mexico in a hot-air Balloon. d. New york was too cold for her Pet Baboon. Number 2 Answer Click
3. Which noun is in the subject of this sentence? My favorite aunt wears hats with flowers and feathers. a. aunt b. hats c. flowers d. feathers Number 3 Answer Click
4. Which two words correctly complete this sentence? A silly ________ scared seven skinny ________. c. a. scarecrow … skunk b. scarecrows … skunk c. scarecrow … skunks d. scarecrows … skunk Number 4 Answer Click
5. In which group of words are both plural nouns spelled correctly? b. a. two brushs for bunnys b. big boxes full of pennies c. five tiny fairys in satin dresses d. buses on their way to beachs Number 5 Answer Click
6. Which two words correctly complete this sentence? Two _________ were walking a pair of pet _________. d. a. womens … goose b. womans … gooses c. woman … geeses d. women … geese Number 6 Answer Click
7. Which two words correctly complete this sentence? You have fewer _________ than a shark but more ___________. c. a. tooths … feets b. tooth … foots c. teeth … feet d. teeths … foot Number 7 Answer Click
8. Which word in dark type is written correctly? Choose the sentence. c. a. Mr. Ornery has three goose instead of a watchdog. b. They have no tooths, but they can nip. c. They can run fast on their webbed feet. d. They chase away the neighbors' childs. Number 8 Answer Click
9. Which word is the common noun in this sentence? Did you see the bird fly? a. fly b. bird c. see d. the Number 9 Answer Click b.
10. Which word in bold type is NOT a noun? Miguel sometimes visits his aunt in Utah. a. Miguel b. Utah c. aunt d. sometimes Number 10 Answer Click d.
How did you do? 10/10 ~ Excellent Job! 9/10 ~ Keep up the Good Work! 8/10 ~ Keep Practicing! 7/10 ~ Try Again! 6/10 ~ See the Teacher!