Presentation on theme: "Chapter 8 GPQ: Mario, Lytria 8-1 1.Drought is the prolonged period in which precipitation is at least ____% lower and evaporation is larger than normal."— Presentation transcript:
Chapter 8 GPQ: Mario, Lytria 8-1 1.Drought is the prolonged period in which precipitation is at least ____% lower and evaporation is larger than normal.
Name 2 of 3 Major River Basins in the Middle East 2. A. B.
Fresh water resources in the U.S 3. Much freshwater in the U.S is contaminated by _______ and _______ practices.
Water shortages 4. _/_ lacked regular access to clean drinking water.
Fresh water is irreplaceable 5. The hydrologic cycle is responsible for____ Collecting water Purifying water Recycling water Distributing water All of these
6. ___ billion did not have access to basic sanitation.
Water found in the spaces in soil, gravel, and rock is called? 7.________
8-2 How to increase water supply 8. What are the three largest grain producers? A. India, China, U.S B. India, Mexico, Pakistan C. U.S, China, Mexico D. Saudi Arabia, U.S, India
Dams 9. Main purpose of a dam and reservoir system are to ____, ______ and _______ it as needed to control floods, to generate electricity and to supply water for irrigation and towns and cities.
Dams 10. Large dams and reservoirs A. reduce danger of flooding upstream B. inexpensive to build C. cant be used for recreation D. can be used to provide electric power
How to increase water supply 11. The disastrous affects of a large scale water transfer project was demonstrated in which body of water_______
Fig. 13-3, p. 316 Unconfined Aquifer Recharge Area Precipitation Evaporation and transpiration Evaporation Confined Recharge Area Runoff Flowing artesian well Well requiring a pump Stream Infiltration Water table Lake Infiltration Unconfined aquifer Less permeable material such as clay Confined aquifer Confining impermeable rock layer 13. 14. 12.
8-3 15. Drip or trickle irrigation is also called _______.
16. The capital cost of a new type of drip irrigation is 1/10as much as conventional drip system? True or False
17. Clearing land will increase the lands water retention True or False
18. Conserving water A. Reduces the burden on wastewater treatment plants B. reduces the need for dams C. saves money and energy D. decreases pollution of surface water E. all of these
19. A ______ is a flat tract of land bordering a river, mainly in its lower reaches, and is formed by the waters flow downstream.
20. Removing water meters in homes and business can decrease water waste True or False
21. ______ is the most practical irrigation method
8-4 22. What is it called when normal channels spills into the adjacent area???________
24. Which of the following human activities contribute to flooding A. Urbanization B. Deforestation C. Overgrazing D. Draining wetlands E. All of the above
Fig. 13-25a, p. 339 Oxygen released by vegetation Diverse ecological habitat Evapotranspiration Trees reduce soil erosion from heavy rain and wind Agricultural land Tree roots stabilize soil Vegetation releases water slowly and reduces flooding Forested Hillside 26. 25.
8-5 27. Which of the following is a point source of water pollution? A.Offshore oil well B.Livestock feedlot C.Urban land D.Logged forest
28. Logged forest is a nonpoint source of water pollution True or False
29. _________ are diluted sources of pollution that are difficult to trace and diagnose and even more difficult to clean
30.Ground water can readily purify itself of wastes and contaminants True or False
8-6 31. Heat, organic wastes, and inorganic plant nutrients may deplete dissolved ________ from water A.Nitrogen B.Oxygen C.Minerals D.Hydrogen
32. ________ is the name for the natural process of nutrient enrichment of a water body A. Eutrophication B. Flow C. Yo Mama D. Watering your lawn
33. In the 1970s ____ ______ control laws was enacted.
34. True or False In rivers, the oxygen content increases as the waters temp. rises
8-7. 35. The drinking water for about half of the U.S population and 95% of those in rural areas comes from ________.
36. Ground water can be contaminated from a build up of natural wildlife secretion True or False
37. The most effective and cheapest methods of protecting ground water is to use methods to prevent contamination True or False
38. Groundwater provides _____% of the counties drinking water.
8-8 39. Deep ocean trenches is the least polluted from ocean dumping and coastal development. True or False
40. Recovery from exposure to crude oil takes much longer than recovery from exposure to refined oil. True or False
41. Scientists estimate that current cleanup methods can recover no more than __% of the oil from a major spill.
8-9 42. The Federal _____ ________ ______ act of 1972.
43. The system most commonly used in many developed nations to treat raw sewage on personal property is A. living machines B. composite C. primary treatment D. septic tanks
44. _______ _______ treatment is the physical process that uses screens and a grit tank to remove large floating objects.
45.Most effective and least costly means of dealing with water pollution is ________.
Extra credit The life straw is ______ ______ ______ device.