Presentation on theme: "Ocean Vocabulary 3.2. 1.The energy is being passed through the water as a wave. 2.Wave: the movement of energy through a body of water."— Presentation transcript:
Ocean Vocabulary 3.2
1.The energy is being passed through the water as a wave. 2.Wave: the movement of energy through a body of water.
3. What do you think causes the tide to rise and fall? 4. Tide: The daily rise and fall of Earths waters on shore.
5.Currents can be dangerous for swimmers in any water. 6.Current: A large stream of moving water that flows through a body of water.
7.Schools of fish are very abundant in areas where upwelling occurs. 8.Upwelling: An upward flow of cold water from the ocean depths.
9.The surface zone is located on the surface of the water, and is the warmest part of the water. 10.Surface zone: Part of the ocean that extends from the surface to about 200 meters. The warmest part of the ocean.
11.In the transition zone, temperatures drop rapidly. 12.Transition zone: Part of the ocean that extends from the surface zone to about 1 kilometer. The temperature rapidly drops.
13. The deep zone has very little light. 14. Deep zone: Part of the ocean that extends from the bottom of the transition zone about 1 kilometer to the ocean floor. Coldest part of the ocean.
15.There are many ocean zones, the neritic zone is one of them. 16.Neritic zone: The region of shallow water in the ocean that extends from the low-tide out to the edge of the continental shelf.
17. The open-ocean zone, is the largest zone in the ocean. 18. Open-ocean zone: The area of the ocean beyond the edge of the continental shelf.
19. There is an estuary where the river meets the ocean. 20. Estuary: A coastal inlet or bay where fresh water mixes with salty ocean water.
21. Plankton is an example of sea-life that are weak swimmers, or sea-life that just floats on top of the ocean. 22. Plankton: Tiny algae and animals that float in water and are carried by waves and currents.
23. Humans, and other organisms that swim in the ocean can be considered Nektons. 24. Nekton: Free swimming animals that can move throughout the water column.
25. If sits and lives on the bottom of the ocean, then it must be a benthos. 26. Benthos: Organisms that live on the bottom of the ocean or another body of water.
27.The oceans salinity can vary based on where the water sample is from. 28. Salinity: The total amount of dissolved salts in a water sample.