Presentation on theme: "Vocabulary Lesson 10.1 Algebra Objective: I will be able to identify a polynomial and determine its degree."— Presentation transcript:
Vocabulary Lesson 10.1 Algebra Objective: I will be able to identify a polynomial and determine its degree.
1. Like Terms: terms having the exact same letters and the exact same exponents on the letters.Vocabulary…
2. Polynomial: an algebraic expression made up of one term or the sum of 2 or more terms. 3. Monomial: algebraic expression containing only one term. A monomial shares the same definition as a term. A monomial is a number, a letter (variable), or a product of numbers and letters. 4. Binomial: algebraic expression containing only 2 terms. 5. Trinomial: algebraic expression containing only 3 terms.
6. Descending Powers: exponents on the variables go from highest to lowest on the variables. Ex: 7x 4 – 2x 3 + 5x 2 – 3x + 1
7. Degree of a Monomial: the sum of the exponents on the variables. To find the degree of a monomial: add the exponents on all letters together.
8. Degree of a Polynomial: is the degree of the monomial with the highest degree within the given polynomial.