2Structure Idea History Records of the „Bratwurst“ Interesting facts about the „Bratwurst“From raw material to the productThe ingredients of the sausage Spices Pork as the basis for the production Fattened pig A chain of evaluationThe productionof the fried sausages Recipe Video for the production The comparison of different butcher‘sFrom barbecue to enjoying Prescriptions Video how to grill a „Bratwurst“Regulate around the fried sausageThe Thuringian „Bratwurst“ worldwide –dolivery for example the „Fleisch- und Wurstwaren GmbH Schmalkalden“Energy balance of the sausage Analysis of the questionairs Facts and figures poel‘s pig breeding GmbH Rippershausen Energy balanceReferences
31. Term „Thüringer Bratwurst“ name is not derived from roast, but the worst of production: small sausage is minced meat different sausages – including sausages cans; fried sausages is also betterdistinguished “Rostbratwurst”, “Roster”, “Grillwurst” or “Griller” called regional Bratwurst – specials “Thüringer Rostbratwurst” at last cm long medium fine „Rostbratwurst“ close natural casing, raw or steamed, spicy flavour note since the 6th January 2004 the protection of geographical of the “Thüringer Bratwurst”3
42. The history of the Thuringian „Bratwurst“ centuries old traditionoldest written reference in the State Archives in Rudolfstadt in a copy of the provost‘s account of the Virgin Monastery of Arnstadt in 1404oldest known recipe is located in the State Archives in Weimar recipe „Thuringian – Erfurtsches Cookbook“ in 1797many regional legends about the- Jenaprießnitz – assertition: in 1404 on the weekly famers market invented- Invention in Erfurt- a butcher at the medival market at Gotha has invented it in the year years only consists of chopped pork with spices first name „Brati“ at the beginning you ate it with dumpling, later with rolls EU regulation: should only come from Thuringia4
53. Records of the „Bratwurst“ 1994regions of „Bratwürste“ also keep records meters long, the long white, whichproduced a butcher from Jena in 1994.19983rd Thuringia Day in Ilmenau October, 1998.3710 meters long intestine was filled with 1.7 tons of sausage mass.19993046 meters - The longest sausage in the world was produced in theformation region of “Bratwurst”, ThuringiaWorld record of the Thuringian butcher Zollner from Laasdorf with 5000 metres.World record of the butcher Ossner from Weihbüchl near Landshut with 5888 metres.(see to the longest sausage – sheet 9)2002Hans-Joachim Fuchs from Erfurt was barbecue world champion.2005a 333 metres long sausage was grilled on 25th June 2005 at 4 o’clock in one piece.2005 Fastest “Bratwurst” - Eater”Sonya Thomas, the 45 kg flywight devoured, ate on 8th August “Bratwürste” in ten minutesand had beaten the old record of 19,5 significantly.“Everything has an end – only the sausage has two”.
64. Interesting facts about the „Bratwurst“ “Bratwurst” fixed:14. “bratwurst” fairNiederzwehren/Kassel)2. Bergisch grill championsship)4.”Bratwurstiade”,HolzhausenThüringen ( )
7Museum of the „Bratwurst“ The museum houses a permanent exhibition on the history, tradition and cultural significance of the sausage in the social life in general and the Thuringian “Bratwurst” in particular. Everything about the sausage has its place here. From pig to slaughter up to the equipment for “Bratwurst” production exhibits the rich.Wachsenburggemeinde /OT Holzhausen
8Queens of the „Bratwurst“ 1. Thuringian Sausage- Queen 2000 Barbara Göhring Mengersgereuth-HämmernButcher‘s company Blechschmidt7. Thuringia Sausage - Queen Annett Appenrodt Gotha Butcher‘s company Schlenstedt
9The longest „Bratwurst“ 27/06/1999 Butcher Bernhart Oßner is a team of 16 butchers and volunteers in the picnic area at Landshut Weihbüchl with5888 m the longest Bratwurst ago at a time. The production in a specially converted barn lasted nine hours and 13 minutes. To fill sheep casings are used, each approximately 30 m in length, which were pushed 10 cm at the end time of each other. There were 1700 kg cooked sausage meat that came from around 30 pigs. For good taste, wait about50 kg spices necessary.
10Fleisch -und Wurstwaren GmbH Schmalkalden more information about the „Bratwurst“average day production : 2,5 t ∙ 5 days = 12,5 t/a week12, 5 t/week ∙ 50 weeks = 625 t /yearbefore Pentecost : 8-9 tdetails pro batch: 1 batch purchase 150 kilogram fried sausage (absorption volume of the machine)ca. 17 batches every daycasing for 1 batch: 350 meter of pig casing or 450 meter of sheep casingthe pig casing comes mostly from china, because of the low water- and energy costs + own establishingconsumption 350 meter ∙ 625 t = meter = circa 219 kilometer pig casing / yearslaughtering – 1500 pigs/ week1 t (Tonne) = 1000 kilogram
11„Bratwurst“ in other languages DeutschBratwurstArabischبراتوورستJiddischבראַטווערסטRussischколбасаJapanischsōsējiSlowenischklobasaAfrikaansbraadworstKreolisch (Haiti)bratweurPolnischkiełbasaUkrainischковбаса
125. From raw material to the product Raw materialsProcessing plantProductsSugar RefinerySugarBeetSaltPepperNutmegSpice millGround Spices (Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg)ButcherWater„Bratwurst“SlaughterhousePotatoesGrassGrainMeat, IntestinePigstyMature pig slaughter
136. The ingredients of the sausage PorkNatural casings (pork or lamb)SpicesAntioxidant: ascorbic E300Milk proteinWhere are the ingredients?Pork – from ThuringaSpices – Friom India, Indonesia, Hungary,Bulgaria, Greece, Spain, Southern France,Balcan countries, ItalyPorkSpices
14Origin of Spices Click here for the next folia Marjoram: Mediterranean countries, Central and Eastern EuropeGarlic: Southern Europe (Spain, Italy), Mediterranean countries, ChinaSalt: PolandLemons: ChinaPepper: India, Indonesia, Malaysia, BrazilCardamom: India, MalaysiaMuscat: India, Indonesia
15Pork as the basis for the production of Thuringian “Bratwurst” Meat is one of the full food optimal supply of important ones:NutrientsKnitted fabrics and complementaryProtein (about 19%) - Fat (2.5%) - Carbohydrates (1.2%)Water (75%) - Vitamins (B, A, C, E, K) - Trace elements (Mg, Fe, Zn) - Residual nitrogen (ca.1.65%) - Ash (approximately 0.65%) - Minerals (Ca, P, S, Na, K)Person needs per day: g protein (build your own body protein) g fat (supplier of energy during physical activity)
16In raw pork - lean meat - fat meat (E.g. pulp, nut, fillet, Steak) (z.B. rib, abdomen )22% protein 17%2,5% fat 22%0,6% carbohydrates 0,5%1% minerals ,8%110 kcal energy content 266 kcal(464 kJ) (1118 kJ)In pork is more vitamin B1 per kg (9 mg) and included in the beef (1 mg)per – head – eating pork from 39,3 – 40,1 kg (in the last 5 years)Self-sufficiency in Germany – 99%in thuringia – ca. 70% (estimates 2004)
17Fattened pigsObjective:production of pig meat with great wealth and high proportion of valuable cutshigh biological performance of absolutly healthy animal wih a increase of more than750 g per dayfeed conversion under 3 kg feed per 1 kg gaimfattened final weight of 115 – 120 kg and 90 – 95 kg carcan weightlean meat content of 55 – 58 %low loss (less than 3 %)high cost discipline in all expense itemsthe average producer price of slaughter pigs : bis 2008 – 1.38 €/kg– 1,42 €/kg (ZMP)
18The percentage shares relates of a total value 358 €
197. The production of the fried sausages production: finely minced porkpossibly also calf or beefsometimes beside salt and pepper also curmin, “Majoran”and garlic are useddependirg on regional development the spice mixture can be variedthe majority of raw materials must come from Thuringia (51%)you mix all ingredience well and put them afterwards into natural intestine
20Amounts given for 100 kg sausage meat 50 kg lean pork shoulder30 kg fat pork shoulder20 kg uncured roast beef sausageabout 100 m pork or sheep casingspices per kg22 g salt2 g freshly ground pepper1g freshly ground cumin0,5 g freshly ground mace
21Video for the production Click here. ( Part 1 )Click here. ( Part 2 )Click here. ( Part 3 )
22The comparison of different butcher`s Der LandschlachterEdekaFleischerei AlbrechtFleischerei PoserFleisch- und WurstwarenFleischerei RügheimerFleischerei Weisheit
238. From barbecue to enjoying Prescription: Thuringian fried sausage with vegetables Ingredients:quantitymeasureingredient1kgpotatoes150gonionspacketpeppers mix400= 4picesThuringian sausagessomethingsalt, pepper, paprikapowderparsleyPreparation:Potatoes bite-firmly simmer. Pect the onions and cut in stripes. Peppers wash, cut them into quarters. Cut the sausages into small pieces. Oil in a frying pan heat it up. Paprika in it sear. Onions, suasge and potatoes inflickt and with sear. With salt, pepper and paprikapowder spicing. Serve everything on a plate with parsley strews.23
24Recipe: fresh fried sausage with potatoes and red cabbage Ingredients for 4 people4 big sausage medium size1 apple- grate it1 kg potatoes. Medium size or big1bottel red cabbage1 bay leafpepper, saltoilsome juniper berries
25Preparation wash potatoes, peel them and cut them into let cold, salted water boilput red cabbage into a pot and heat it upadd bay leal and junuper berries (according into taste) add the grated toodrain the cooked potatoes and serve them with fried sausage and redcobbageGood appetit !!The same can be served with pickled cabbage.
26Video how to grill a „Bratwurst“ Click here. ( Part 1 )Click here. ( Part 2 )
279. Regulate around the fried sausage only original ones of the rustuse Thuringian charcoalnot with mrasures and fork, but with the hand, fried sausageand rollwith “Born” mustard or “Born” ketchup, like one it likes,originally genurie Thuringian mustardsupplements with: - potatoe salad- “Sauerkraut”- parsely potatoes- Thuringian “Klöße”- mashed potatoesThe worst, which you can do with the Thuringian fried sausageis to convert to a curry sausage.27
2810. The Thuringian „Bratwurst“ worldwide dolivery for example: Fleisch- und Wurstwaren GmbH Schmalkalden60 own bronchos all over Thuringiaadministrative distructs: WartburgkreisSchmalkalden – MeiningenHildburghausentowns: Erfurt, Suhl, Eisfeldother countries: - Austria - Transport with truck- England - Transport with truck- Belgium - Transport with truck- Sweden - aircraft / plane- Russia - shiparmed forces in Afghanistan, KFOR – troops in Pristina (Kosovo)(scald, frozen) truck airport admission to sale from production to consume: 5-6 days
29Salesways abroad Afghanistan (Armed forces) Sweden Kosovo (KFOR-troops)RussiaSchmalkaldenEnglandAustriaBelgium
3011. Energy balance of the sausage energy expenses for 1 kg meatwaterfoodenergyFarming division0,8 l0,36 kg0,16 kWhpiglets0,5 l0,27 kg-mast5 l2,5 kg0,36 kWhmeat products ltd.Fleisch- und Wurstwaren GmbH Fleischerei0,2 l0,11 kWh6,5 l3,13 kg0,63 kWh1 kg meat = 8 sausage a 125 g1 kg meat = 10 sausage a 100 g
31Extrapolation:waterfoodenergy1 sausage0,65 l0, 313 kg0,063 kWh10 sausages6,5 l3,13 kg0,63 kWh100 sausages65 l31,3 kg6,3 kWh1000 sausages650 l313 kg63 kWhIn this statement there are no transport costs included. ComparisionCosts for 1 bread made from more than one kind of flour (1 kg) 2,30 €agriculture(27%)mill(8%)bakery(47%)transport(16%)1 bread0,621 €0,184 €1,081 €0,368 €10 breads6,21 €1,84 €10,81 €3,68 €100 breads62,10 €18,4 €108,10 €36,80 €1000 breads621,- €184,- €1081,- €368 €
32In an gym, you need 55,2 min for 460 calorie (sausage) or Nutritional value 1 kg bread 7,53 MJ finish energy 9 MJ burning value (3/4 bakery und agriculture) 1 MJ = 1000 kJ1 bread(1 kg)agriculturemillbakerytransport2 MJ(2000 kJ)0,7 MJ(700 kJ)3,8 MJ(3800 kJ)1,1 MJ(1100 kJ)Joulcalories1 sausage1830 kJ4601 sausage with a roll2350 kJ585In an gym, you need 55,2 min for460 calorie (sausage) or70,2 min for 585 calorie (sausage with bread roll)with 5,5 km/h and a pitch of 8% on a treadmill
33Comparision foundation + increase of = whole The increase of productivity is dependent of physical work.foundation + increase of = wholeturnover productivity turnoverfoundationturnoverincrease of productivitywhole turnover6700 kJ +3770 kJ =10470 kJat easy physical work5860 kJ =12560 kJat middle heavy physical work10750 kJ =16750 kJat heavy physical work
34Facts and figuresPeol’s pig breeding GmbH Ripperhausenattiude:sows maintenance (insemination, gestation, farrowing)complete lining of the sows included rearing expenseswater expenses including cleaningenergy expense (current and feed preparation)energy expense 1 kg real (factory farming)Water chuck energybreeding pro rata 0,8 l 0,36 kg 0,16 kWhpiglet ,5 l 0,27 kgwast l 2,5 kg 0,36 kWhchuck:- ¾ grain – is orbiting in an average of 5 km harvested and placed directly- ¼ expeller, sunflower grist, soja, mineral feed pig farm itself is based on no grain Slaughter in Weimar Feed and animal transport:1 truck transport of 30 tons of corn or 190 pigs slaughtered
35Analysis of the questionnairs Please click here.
36Comparison of the origin / the production of the fried sausage „Bratwurst“ To compare the large butcher’s company “Fleisch- und Wurstwaren GmbH Schmalkalden”with the smaller butcher’s shops of the region of Haselgrund we had to make a projection on 1 sentence= 150 kg meat.We didn’t get facts from all of the butcher’s companies so we used the majority of facts.Smaller butcher’s companies produce and sell a less amount of “Bratwurst”. So they have higher costs for energy, water and cleaning and the costs for the production are higher too. That means the prices of the “Bratwurst” in these smaller companies are higher.They use different spices to produce the “Bratwurst”. But most butchers see the recipes as their company’s secret and keep it. But all of them use salt, pepper, megnut, garlic and cumin.To fill in the meat mixture people use intertimez of pigs.Each butcher’s has a very high level of quality because this means to keep the satisfaction of their customers.“Bratwurst” is produced with a weight of 100 g, 120 g or 125 g.It is 15 to 30 cm long.The butchers produce different kinds of “Bratwurst”. There are e.g. the Thuringian “Bratwurst” – fine and coarse, “Bratwurst” home-made and others.The name “Thuringian Rostbratwurst” is geographically determined and has a copyright. It’s only called a “Thuringian Rostbratwurst” when 51% of all ingrediants come originally from Thuringia and there are only 20% (+ / - 5%) animal fat in it.The meat production plays an important role in the production of ”Bratwurst”. Most butchers get their meat from Thuringia. That keeps the costs for transportation lower than if they bought the meat from all over Germany.The meat production company in our region is in Rippershausen.While the regional butcher’s shops sell their own “Bratwurst” in the towns and villages in the region of Haselgrund the “Bratwürste” of the company “Fleisch- und Wurstwaren GmbH Schmalkalden” are transported all over Thuringia as well as in other European countries.
3712. References http://www.bratwurstshop.de/html/rekorde.html CD Herbert Roth, Star Collektion, BMG
38The End Thank you very much! We thank everybody for their help to make the presentation a success!Thank you very much!The End