Presentation on theme: "Delicious Food. Designed by... Bonnie, Vicky, Annie, Kaye For the Course English Teaching Methodology 2003 Spring. Teacher: Yu-Chih Doris Shih As Part."— Presentation transcript:
Designed by... Bonnie, Vicky, Annie, Kaye For the Course English Teaching Methodology 2003 Spring. Teacher: Yu-Chih Doris Shih As Part of the Media Workstation Designs Assignments. Modified by Kate Liu, 2003/8/12, for CEWeb.
Delicious Food Conversation : Ordering Food Conversation Station : Ordering FoodOrdering FoodOrdering Food Restaurants and Foods Available in Taipei Restaurants and Foods Available in Taipei Photo/Experience Description Station: Restaurants and Foods Available in Taipei Restaurants and Foods Available in Taipei Making a Dish Yourself Making a Dish Yourself Video Station: Making a Dish YourselfMaking a Dish Yourself Seasoning Seasoning Listening and Viewing Station: SeasoningSeasoning Cuisine of the World Cuisine of the World Search and Find Station (Internet): Cuisine of the WorldCuisine of the World Healthy Eating Healthy Eating News Report Station : Healthy EatingHealthy Eating
1. Conversation Ordering Food 1. Conversation Workstation: Ordering Food Outcomes: Let student learn how to order food in a coffee shop. Level: Freshmen & Sophomore College Students (intermediate) Material: Conversation sample sheetsample sheet Time: minutes Role of teachers: Advisors
Process Process: 1.Introduce a sample conversation and key words (Ref. conversation practice and vocabulary: ; discussion questions and vocabulary d.html ). d.html 2. Have students practice their own conversation, changing what they want to order, etc. Sometimes a new person can join to change the dynamic of their conversation. Evaluation: oral performances
Conversation Sample Waitress Welcome! May I help you Customer Yes, do you have any chocolate cake Clerk Oh! Sorry! But were out of chocolate cake. Customer Thats ok Do you have any waffles Clerk Yes, we have very good waffles. Customer Ok! Thats a good idea! I want a waffle with honey.
Conversation Sample (cont d) Waitress Ok! Anything to drink Guess Yes! I want a cup of milk tea. Waitress All right! To go or for here Guess For here, please! Waitress Ok! Wait a moment! (preparing the food and drink.) Waitress Here you are. Guess Thank you! Waitress Youre welcome! Guess Umm! Its delicious!
2. Photo/Experience Description Station: Restaurants and Foods Available in Taipei Outcomes: To learn how to introduce and describe to others students favorite foods and restaurants with the help of information from books or the Internet. Level: Freshmen & Sophomore College Students Material: Photos or books brought to class by the students Time: minutes
Process Role of teachers: Advisors and helpers Process: 1. Find out some restaurants you like in magazines (e.g. Taipei Fun), or on websites such as: Taipei Restaurants Guide: W&City=Taipei W&City=Taipei 2. Name the dishes you like, take some picture of them, or have some actual experience of dining out. Write a letter introducing the food and/or restaurants to your friends, and then describe the restaurant/foods in class.
3. Video Workstation(1): Making a Dish Yourself Outcomes: Let student learn how to make meatless noodle and tiramisu and then introduce their own recipes. The teaching and learning of cooking whets students appetites and motivates them to learn vocabulary about cooking and recipe. Also, students can develop their listening as well as writing skills when they watch TV. English pronunciation and Chinese translation can help students to check and understand the content. Level: Freshmen & Sophomore College Students (intermediate) Material: video demonstration. Time: 30 minutes Role of teachers: Advisors
Process 1.Introduce the VCD (vegetarian noodle). 2. Play the VCD. 3. Discuss the other varieties of noodle making. (References)References 4.Tiramisu: Recipe and Worksheet: _tiramisu.doc _tiramisu.doc Evaluation: Students own recipe (oral or written)
Meatless Noodle Recipe (1) Video ~Meatless noodle~ ( teacher, teacher ) Ingredients: green bean sprout leafy green shredded carrot sesame oil – a few drops white pepper – a dash, to taste
Meatless Noodle Recipe (2) Directions: 1. Boil the water; 2. Put the noodle into the water; 3. Wait till the noodle float over the boiling water, and then serve the noodle in a bowl.
Meatless Noodle Recipe (3) 4. Put all the materials into the boiled water for about two minutes, and then serve all them in the same bowl. 5. Mix up the noodle with salt, sugar, and sesame oil.
References: the Other Recipe Sites Ramen Noodle (instant noodle) recipe Noodle recipes from Cooks.com ( ): To fu and Noodle Recipes (with pictures): Meilleur du Chef: Its recipes may be too difficult for students, but its Learning pages are helpful. For instance, the Culinary Terms: )
4. Listening and Viewing Workstation: Seasoning Outcomes: To improve students listening ability Level: Freshmen & Sophomore College Students (intermediate) Material: Tape, tape player, and worksheet: _seasoning.doc _seasoning.doc Time: minutes Role of teachers: Advisors
Process: Students can divide into several groups listening to the tape with a story (Onions and Garlic). After finishing it, they fill out a worksheet. Students draw their images of the two protagonists. Then they get to view the video and talk about the differences between their mental images and what they video presents. Student can then talk more in general about seasoning and/or how they like onion and garlic cooked/used in their foods.
5. Internet Workstation: Cuisine of the World Eating through the Net Outcomes: The purpose of internet is that students will discover different food of different culture or even multicultural diet. They can acquire useful vocabulary and correct term about different delicious food. Also, they can find out which local flavor they prefer through a plan of food travel.
Level: Senior (intermediate) Materials: Computer, Maps & some food pictures: ods/map_food.ppt ods/map_food.ppt Level: Senior (intermediate) Time: 30 minutes Role of teachers: Advisors
Process: 1.Go to one of the search engines below type a key word in the search space. For example, key in Chinese food if you want to know more about it 2. Or you can go to websites such as The Worldwide Gourmet The Global Gastronomer: Cuisines of the World 3. Take some notes on information such as the name of the dish, its ingredients & nutritious values, price, where to get it or how to cook it.
Evaluation Assume that you are a gourmet food guide. Design a plan (with maps and photos) about a delicious food trip for your customers with what you have found from the internet or based on your personal taste and experience. 1. sample maps and food pictures : ood.ppt ood.ppt 2. Sample guide pages: from Taiwan Directory- offered by GIO, - )
6. News Report Workstation Outcomes: Learn to be reporters and know more about the concepts of healthy eating. Level: Senior (intermediate) Materials: Video recorder or Live performance Time: 50 minutes Role of teachers: Advisors and helpers
Process After finishing all the workstation, every group has to become a reporting team to introduce concepts of healthy eating food, and how to practice them (where to eat, how to cook, and how to eat). They can present their news report in a video tape or live.
References: Healthy Eating Tips eat.htm eat.htm Heathy Eating Net