Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Living and working in the UK Alison Carmichael UK EURES adviser

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Living and working in the UK Alison Carmichael UK EURES adviser"— Presentation transcript:

1 Living and working in the UK Alison Carmichael UK EURES adviser

2 Living and working in the UK Working in the UK Employment law Benefit Information Living in the UK

3 United Kingdom England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland Population - 60 million Unemployment varies across the UK – average is 5% Language - English Welsh is spoken in some parts of Wales

4 Job opportunities Opportunities vary across the country, but include engineering health and care workers construction drivers – buses, heavy goods vehicles factory work chefs and hotel workers Agriculture

5 EURES website Find a job – search the vacancies in all EURES countries CV-online - register your CV for employers to see EURES advisers – details of 700 EURES advisers

6 EURES website Living and Working information accommodation and taxes cost of living health, education and social information comparing qualifications labour market information - by country and region Learning education and training opportunities in Europe universities and colleges

7 Jobcentre Plus People are strongly advised not to come to the UK if you do not have a job to start You must be able to speak English to work in the UK Search for jobs online Call the telephone jobs service, Jobseeker Direct +44 (0) 845 6060 234 Jobcentre Plus offices are self-service with Jobpoint computers

8 Looking for work UK newspapers have internet jobs sites Visit company websites for job vacancies, company application forms and company information Private agencies – many are registered with the Recruitment and Employers Confederation It is illegal for UK agencies to charge you a fee to find a job for speculative applications

9 Graduates Good written and spoken English is essential It is hard to find media jobs Competition is very high Graduate vacancies are declining Many employers do not understand foreign qualifications The UK does not have many work placement opportunities

10 Qualifications and degrees Qualifications can differ in each European country Some qualifications are recognised across the Europe Some professional people must apply for UK recognition The National Academic Recognition Information Centre, NARIC can compare your qualifications. You will pay for this service

11 Vocational Qualifications In some cases, it may be possible to use qualifications from abroad, Or,in cases where workers are skilled but do not have formal qualifications, assessment methods such as On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT) or Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA) can be used to qualify to UK standards

12 UK Employment Rights You are entitled to the same employment rights as the domestic workforce. This includes: The National Minimum Wage Working Time Rights Health and Safety Protection The Right to Join a Union Protection from Unfair Discrimination Further information in other languages:

13 Employment conditions and law Minimum wage is £5.35 per hour @ 22+ about £214 per week or 316 Working week is 37-40 hours Deductions can be made for accommodation (£29.05 per week max) and transport Minimum holiday is four weeks - 20 days Wages are usually paid direct into a bank account 20 minutes break allowed if you work 6+ hours each day National Minimum Wage helpline: 0845 600 0678

14 Employment Law Contracts can be written or verbal It is a legal requirement for you be provided with either a contract of employment or a job description in English and the migrant workers native language within 8 weeks of them starting work with you. Further guidance from or Both the employer and employee are normally entitled to a minimum period of notice of termination of employment

15 Induction All workers should undergo a site induction before commencing work. This should cover… Practices in the workplace The role of the worker Dealing with problems in the workplace Adapting to an unfamiliar culture or environment How to request assistance Information on medical facilities, trade unions etc

16 Further Information For employment legislation leaflets and to resolve disputes contact: For further information also contact: and For free, confidential, impartial advice visit: with_grievances_polish.pdf

17 Income Tax Tax is deducted from source Most people pay the Basic rate 22% Income up to £2,150 is taxed at 10% Income over £33,300 is taxed at 40% P86 when you enter the UK P85 when you leave the UK For forms and information visit

18 Council Tax Council Tax is paid to the council where you live, to pay for local services The amount you pay depends on your accommodation and family circumstances. It is £15 (22) or more each week Council Tax may be included in your rent. Check with your landlord

19 National Insurance National Insurance is deducted from wages (8-11%) The amount you pay depends on how much you earn Self-employed people must pay their own National Insurance

20 National Insurance Number (NINO) Everyone working in the UK has a National Insurance number You must apply for a number when you start work If you have worked in the UK before, you do not need a new number Phone 0845 600 0643 to apply for a number

21 Bank Accounts To open an account on-line contact: accounts/passport You require proof of identity when opening a bank account – passport, letter from your employer and proof of address If possible take information about your home bank account ( Salaries are usually paid into a bank or building society account.

22 E-forms (most commonly used) European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – replaced E111, used to receive state-provided healthcare in EEA E301 – record of working contributions. Request this form from the UK authorities before returning to your own country E303 – to claim unemployment benefits in another EEA country for up to 3 months Available from the Centre for Non-residents tel: 0845 070040 (from the UK) +44 191 225 4811 (from abroad)

23 Health For emergency medical treatment you should bring a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) National Health Service – NHS When you are settled, register with a local doctor Consulting your local doctor is free but prescribed medicines cost £6.65 ( 9.82) per medicine You may have to pay for spectacles and dental treatment NHS Direct 0845 46 47

24 Your earnings:example If you earn £220 (308) per week, you will pay: less Income Tax£22 (32) less National Insurance £13 (18) Rent (room)£50 (70) Council Tax £15 (21) or more The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on your accommodation (it could be included in the rent) £20-£30 (28-42) per week for food / living expenses

25 Accommodation Flats (Apartments) – furnished / unfurnished £400-600 per month (600 – 900) Houses - furnished / unfurnished £500-£800 per month (750 – 1,200) Rooms £200-£350 per month (300 – 525) You pay one months rent before you move in Large cities are more expensive and accommodation can be difficult to find

26 Income-related benefits Child Benefit Working Tax Credit – further information at Housing Benefit –leaflet HBA5DWP Help with Your Rent Council Tax Benefit – leaflet CTA5DWP further information at

27 Good luck! Any questions?

Download ppt "Living and working in the UK Alison Carmichael UK EURES adviser"

Similar presentations

Ads by Google