Presentation on theme: "On-the-way Presentation about Hangzhou"— Presentation transcript:
1On-the-way Presentation about Hangzhou 杭州沿途讲解无忧PPT整理发布
21. 欢迎词——下榻饭店介绍——行程安排Welcome speech-- About the hotel---Lily Hotel-- About the Itinerary
31) Welcome speechGood morning, ladies and gentlemen. On behalf of CITS Hangzhou and my colleagues, I would like to welcome you to China and our beautiful city, Hangzhou. My name is Tina and I shall be your local guide during your stay in Hangzhou. I would also like to introduce our driver, Mr. Liu to you. Mr. Liu has a driving experience of more than 15 years. If you need any help, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We will do our best to make your stay in Hangzhou pleasant and enjoyable. We really appreciate your understanding and cooperation. We hope you’ll enjoy your stay in Hangzhou
42) About the hotel---Lily Hotel The hotel you are going to stay is Lily Hotel, a three-star hotel, which is run by a famous private enterprise named Guangsha(广厦) Construction Group.As a 3-star- hotel in Hangzhou, Lily hotel is situated near the picturesque West Lake. It is at a convenient distance of 35 km to Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport, 8 km to Hangzhou railway station and 200 km to Shanghai Pudong International Airport.
5Lily Hotel boasts 155 spacious and elegant rooms with clean and modern facilities. The Dragon and Phoenix Banquet Hall, beautifully decorated in Southern Song Dynasty style, and private dinning rooms supply various delicious food. The Business Center offers quick and considerate services such as fax, printing, copying, ticketing, internet etc.Lobby bar with a pretty view, provides an ideal place for a chat. Lily Shop, Beauty Salon, Sauna, Gym Room, Mahjong rooms and out-door swimming pool are always open for you.
63) About the ItineraryNow I’d like to give you a brief account of your schedule for the next few days. During your stay in Hangzhou, you’ll visit the Lingyin Buddhist Monastery and the Six Harmonies Pagoda. You’ll also take a boat cruise on the West Lake and pay a visit to the first National wetland park—Hangzhou Xixi Wetland Park. As a special program, we’ll drive to a tea village and be treated with a cup of Longjing Green Tea, the best tea in China. If you like, you may buy some of this tea.
72. 城站火车站——西湖大道——杭州概况Hangzhou Railway Station—West Lake Avenue---briefing on Hangzhou city
81) Hangzhou Railway Station Hangzhou Railway Station is one of the important key projects for the municipal government at the beginning of the new century. It was put into operation on December 28th, The total investment is about 400 million Chinese yuan. This 77m high building is multifunctional with 18 stories. The first and underground floors of the building are exit floors for the passengers and on the underground floor, there are parking lots for taxies and private cars. The second floor is the entrance floor with lots of waiting rooms for passengers to wait for their boarding.
9Now on your left. the building you see is the newly-built railway station. When the old station was planned, the city still had a city wall around it. To give people more convenience, the railway broke through the city wall and the station was built in the city. Because of this, the local people call the station as City Station.Since the new railway station has been put into operation, the railway transportation capacity of the city has been greatly improved. Recently, a even more sophisticated railway station will be constructed in the eastern part of the city. When it is completed, it will much more convenient for people to go to travel by train.
102) West Lake AvenueWe are now driving along the West Lake Avenue, a new boulevard leading to the West Lake, for which Hangzhou becomes well-known. The avenue we are driving along stretches for a length of 1.74km with a width of 60 meters. It was completed at the end of In the time when it was completed, it was the widest road in Hangzhou.
11On our left is the old town area. The imperial palace was located here On our left is the old town area. The imperial palace was located here. However, one can only see the ruins of the palace because it was destroyed during wars through successive dynasties. The Hefang historical block, the drum tower, the imperial street of southern song dynasty, the cultural square of Wu Mountain and Chenghuang tower are all located in this area. This historical block combines cultural and commercial features to produce a special flavor. After renovation, it retains the original architectural style of the late Qing dynasty and the commercial streak of its long history. It is the epitome of the history of Hangzhou.
123) Briefing on Hangzhou city Ladies and gentlemen, now let me give your brief introduction about Hangzhou. Hangzhou is located near the coastline in southeastern China and in the north of Zhejiang Province. It is the provincial center of politics, economy, culture and transportation and a world-known historical and cultural city, as well as a picturesque tourist city and Leisure city. Hangzhou is also one of the seven ancient capitals of China. In history, it was served as the capital of Wuyu kingdom in Five Dynasties and the capital of Southern Song Dynasty.
13Hangzhou covers an area of 16,596 square kilometers with a population of over 6.60 millions. The city proper covers an area of 3,068 square kilometers with a population of about million.The history of Hangzhou dates back to over 2,200 years ago when the First Qin Emperor unified the whole country. Soon after the unification in 221BC, he set up 36 prefectures in China, under which were counties. Hangzhou at that time was a small county, named Wulin,
14Not until the Sui Dynasty (S-U-I, from 581 to 618 AD) did Hangzhou become a city. But it reached its prosperity in the Southern Song Dynasty over 800 years ago when it served as capital. That’s why it’s listed as one of the “Seven Ancient Capital Cities”. Since Ming Dynasty, Hangzhou has been the capital of Zhejiang Province. Today, of course, Hangzhou becomes even more developed and prosperous than ever.
153. 涌金池——中国美院——钱王祠Yongjin Pool-- China Academy of Fine Art-- King Qian’s Temple
161) Yongjin PoolLadies and gentlemen, on your right side is the Yongjin Pool. The pool was dug by the King of the Wuyue Kingdom in 936 AD. The present pool is renovated when the West Lake was dredged at the beginning of this century. You can find the statue of a golden buffalo emerging from the pool and the statue of Zhangshun standing beside, who is a popular character in “Outlaws of the Marsh”—one of the four greatest classic novels in China.
172) China Academy of Fine Art The China Academy of Fine Art is the most influential academy of fine arts with the most complete range of degree offerings and programs of study in China.
18The Academy was founded by the renowned educator Mr The Academy was founded by the renowned educator Mr. Cai Yuanpei in 1928 to promote fine arts education in China.
193) King Qian’s TempleThe temple on your right is King Qian’s Temple. It was first built in the Northern Song Dynasty by governor Zhaotuan in honour of King Qian of Wuyue Kingdom’s great accomplishments. During the Ming Dynasty, the governor had the Ancestral Hall renovated. The present building is a rebuilt one.
204. 柳浪闻莺——南山路——茶文化Orioles Singing in the Weeping Willows-- Nanshan Road—Tea culture
211) Orioles Singing in the Weeping Willows Now, we are passing by another park by the lake with a poetic name of Orioles singing in the weeping willows. It is located on the southeastern bank of the west lake between Qingbo Gate and Yongjin Gate. In the southern song dynasty, there were imperial gardens built here exclusively for the emperors and ministers to enjoy themselves.
222) Nanshan RoadLadies and Gentlemen, now we are driving along Nanshan Road---the Art and Leisure Street of Hangzhou. On both sides of the street, the tall phoenix trees and European style architecture with scenic lanes look like Chinese ink paintings. You can hear beautiful light music when you look at the blocks of buildings - cafes, bars and galleries. Nanshan Road is divided into five specialty areas ---the “Nanshan Affection” area,which consists of romantic teahouses, the “Nanshan Surprise” area, which consists of arts, crafts, calligraphies and paintings, the “Nanshan Art Circle” area, rich of artistic atmosphere, the “Nanshan Savor” area, consisting of tasty restaurants and the “Nanshan Leisure” area, consisting of recreational and entertainment facilities such as bars and tea houses.
235. 双投桥——长桥公园——雷峰塔——净慈寺Shuang Tou Bridge—Long Bridge-- Leifeng Pagoda-- Jinci Temple
241) Shuang Tou BridgeThe zigzag bridge on your right has got a bizarre name---Shuangtou Bridge, which is related to a love story. The story goes that one night about 820 years ago, a local boy and a girl committed suicide by throwing themselves into the lake from the bridge because the boy’s stepmother didn’t agree with their marriage. Under the bridge two lotus flowers came into bloom immediately. It was thus known as “Shuangtou Bridge”, namely, the bridge where a couple committed suicide for love. The present bridge was built in It has become the best place for tourists to enjoy the view of Leifeng Pagoda.
252) Long BridgeNow to your right, there is a short bridge only six meters long, no longer than our bus. But it is known as long bridge. It’s one of the three love bridges. Well, here comes another romantic story. Once in Hangzhou, there was a girl named Zhu went to school in disguise of a boy as in that time, girls were not supposed to go to school. In the school, she had a boy roommate named Liang, with whom she studied and lived for three years. Eventually she fell in love with him in secret. But she was too shy to tell him. One day, she got a letter from her father, asking her to go back home. Father’s words were not to be refused. So she had to leave her school and her sweetheart. Without telling all those, she asked the boy to see her off. On the way home, they came to this bridge.
26Before they parted from each other, they walked along this short bridge for 18 times, making it long enough to match the name long bridge. But the further meaning of the name is there is a long lasting love related with this bridge. That is one of the four most popular folktales in china. Now you can see, two of the four happened in Hangzhou. The other one is “white snake lady”. This proves that Hangzhou is a historic and cultural city.
273) Leifeng PagodaThe pagoda we see over there is the Leifeng pagoda, standing on the south of the lake, first built in 975AD, the wood-and-brick structure was set on fire by some Japanese pirates in the Ming dynasty about 480 years ago. After the fire, the pagoda liked like an elderly monk, this pagoda was believed to have suppressed the white snake lady, I’ll tell you the story later. The pagoda was built with specially made bricks, with a hole in each, storing a silk roll of Buddhist scriptures. Believing that to have a brick like this at home could ward off all the evils and ensure the family peace and prosperity; many people came and took one from the lower levels. Finally one day in 1924, the pagoda collapsed.
28The pagoda we see now was newly rebuilt in 2002 The pagoda we see now was newly rebuilt in Different from the original one, it has a steel structure and the tiles, pillars, rails and the roofs are made of copper. What’s more, there’re three elevators installed in the front of the pagoda, enabling people the ascend it and have a bird’s eye view of the whole lake.Now, please look to the front. Do you see the pagoda? That’s the Leifeng pagoda. It’s one of three well-known pagodas in Hangzhou. It was built in 2002 in the same site where the original one was located before The original Leifeng pagoda was erected to store some of Sakyamuni’s hair. When it was finished in 975, it was named Huangfei pagoda after the most favored concubine of the king who gave birth to a prince of the Wuyue Kingdom. But the local people gave the present name to it simply because it’s located at the Leifeng peak. However, it became more famous when it was related with one of the four most popular folktales in china, story of the white snake lady.
29According to the legend, the white snake lady was suppressed under the pagoda by a bad monk and was liberated 18 years later when it broken down. Actually, it collapsed in 1924, the pagoda was a complicate structure of a large scale. It was made of wood and bricks outside. However, the wooden structure was burnt down by the Japanese pirates some 500 years ago in the Ming dynasty. They believed that some Chinese soldiers had been ambushing in the pagoda. After the fire, the pagoda remained standing there with only the brick interior left.The bricks were specially made with a hole inside to store Buddhist scriptures copied on yellow silk sheets. The superstitious people believed that to have a brick like this at home could ward off all evils and ensure their family in peace and prosperity. So they always took one stealthily home from the lower stories of the pagoda when they came to visit it. This is the direct reason why the pagoda collapsed in 1924.
30Starting from the southern song dynasty, it has become one of the top ten views on the west lake, since its collapse, the people have always felt it a pity to have only top nine left. To make the top ten views complete, the pagoda was rebuilt in before the reconstruction, the relics were excavated and many treasures were found, including a gilded silver stupa. It’s believed that Sakyamuni’s hair is kept in there. Now the stupa is displayed in the provincial museum.
314) Jinci TempleHere is another Buddhist temple, Jingci temple or the pure benevolence temple. It was also built during the Wuyue kingdom period over 1000 years; it’s one of the four major Buddhist temples of the southern song dynasty. In this temple you can see one of the top ten views of the west lake. That is a huge bell weighing 20 tons, named evening bell chimes at Nanping hill. The newly made bell chimes twice a day, once in the morning at four o’clock and another at eight in the evening.
32And in this temple you can also find a well known as Log transporting well. It was believed that the crazy monk Jigong shipped the log from this well for the reconstruction of the temple. I’ll tell you the story in details when we have time later. As a matter of fact, Jingci temple became well-known as early as the southern song dynasty, when it was regarded as one of the four famous Buddhist temples at west lake, even Nanping hill, which stands behind the temple, was called the hill of Buddhist kingdom. Dating back to 954, Jingci temple has been built and rebuilt several times since the southern song dynasty. With its back towards Nanping hill in the north, the temple faces the south shore of west lake. It is more favorably sited than Lingyin temple in terms of fengshui.
336. 苏堤——太子湾公园——花港观鱼Su Causeway—Prince Bay Park-- Flowery Harbor Park
341) Su CausewayThis is the Su causeway, it was built by Su Dongpo, a famous poet in the northern song dynasty, who served as the governor of Hangzhou. He had the lake dredged and two causeways and one islet built in the lake, making it more beautiful. Su was regarded as a good governor and people loved him dearly. The causeway was named after him and a memorial has been built to commemorate him at the southern end of it.
35The causeway is 2. 8 km in length The causeway is 2.8 km in length. Lined with peach trees, willows, magnolia, osmanthus and hibiscus along, it is the site of another one of the top ten views on the west lake, spring dawn on the Su causeway.
362) Prince Bay ParkThe park, based on the Chinese traditional landscape garden, adopts the resilient and elegant artistic handling of western garden building, thus having handsome and natural artistic pleasure. The environment of the park is suitable for holding western style wedding ceremony with recreation items of "unswerving allegiance" and "flying abreast of each other alike accompanied birds in the sky", etc.The whole process of the wedding ceremony begins in the lively music of "wedding march". The bride holds a bunch of fresh flowers and passes through the bridge with the bridegroom hand in hand. They wander across the broad lawn and come over to the church of wedding celebration.
37At this time, the bridegroom and the bride walk onto the red heart-shaped carpet. Among the dancing colored papers, the couple holds colored ribbons in hand and releases the doves. After a while, they sit beside the round table. The Miss Manners presents a large bottle of champagne and red wedding invitation cards and invites the newly wed couple to perform the union of wine cups (Jiaobeijiu, the rite of drinking from nuptial cups by the bridegroom and bride on their wedding day). After the ceremony, the couple is carried in the decorated sedan chair to a small house in the woods.
38The ceremony of entering the bridal chamber is held after they have worshipped Heaven and Earth. After that, they take a horse-drawn trolley along the curved path into the western style garden. They drink up a cup of joyful wine at the wedding feast together with their accompanying relatives and friends in the garden. The whole western style wedding ceremony ends here.The park creates landscapes of love columns and love post office, etc, to lend a festival and romantic atmosphere.
393) Flowery Harbor ParkFlower Harbor (Huagang) Park is adjacent to Su Causeway consisting of Red Fish Pool, Peony Garden, Flower Garden, widespread lawns and woods, occupying an area of 21 hectares. Initially, the park was a small private garden built and owned by Lu Yunsheng, an imperial official of the South Song Dynasty. The garden was located near the Flower Home Hill. Inside the park was a fishpond and a stream nearby was ushered into the pond for raising goldfish. Later the private garden began to gain a big fame in Hangzhou as Flower Harbor and became a recreation resort for viewing goldfishes. Painters and poets vied each other for depicting the garden in their inspirational artworks. In the Qing Dynasty, the park was relocated in today's place, much nearer to the West Lake.
40Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty visited the Park on one of his inspection trips to this part of China. The emperor was so pleased and inspired by the flowers and goldfish he saw at the garden that he wrote a poem to praise the resort as well as in memory of his visit. Today's Flower Harbor is famed for its half-a-year-long flower scenery. The best time for flower viewing is when spring translates itself smoothly into summer. The garden is full of flowers. The red fish pond is fringed with blossoms and verdant trees while fishes hover and float soundlessly; the peony garden showcases the celestial tints and aromas in supreme elegance; streams bubble their way into the flower harbor, without minding the changing time. The widespread lawn is deeply colored by green grasses, and the dense wood hides away paths stretching into it under its flourishing grace.
41A visit to the Flower Harbor is a trip into a picturesque poem A visit to the Flower Harbor is a trip into a picturesque poem. You can look at fish, admire flowers, touch trees, listen to birds chirping, and witness the exodus of spring and the arrival of summer. You will find yourself close to nature by looking up at the sky, looking down at reflections in water, trying to memorize the momentary shapes of clouds, strolling in a drizzle, or counting stars glittering in the universe.
4210．提醒注意事项——黄龙体育中心——浙江图书馆——黄龙洞 The points for attention before departing from the city—Yellow dragon sports center--- Zhejiang Library--- Yellow Dragon Cave
431) The points for attention before departing from the city Good morning, Ladies and gentlemen. Did you have a good sleep last night? We are now leaving the hotel soon. Please check your personal belongings to see if you have left anything behind and make sure that you have cleared your bills with the hotel. Now everything is all right. Let’s set off for the railway station.
442) Yellow dragon sports center This is Yellow Dragon Sports Center, which consists of the stadium and the gym. The stadium was completed in the year of 2000, it can accommodate 60,000 audiences. Covering a floor space of 80,000 square meters, It becomes the largest of its kind in the province. The sports center was built on the standards set by the International Association of Athletics Federations, can hold field and track races on the international level, and other high-level public activities. For instance, the center has been the site of the opening ceremony of the yearly west lake expo many times.
45And the gym covers a floor space of 24,000 square meters and can accommodate about 7,000 audiences and hold all kinds of sports games and performances on international level. Many famous popular actors and singers would like to give their performances here. For instance, David Copperfield used to have his magic shows here. Jose Carreras, who is one of the three famous solo tenors in the world, had his solo singing show this year before the last. Some of the top ten super girls also had their singing performances in the gym.
463) Zhejiang LibraryNow please look to your right side. This is Zhejiang Provincial library. It was completed in the year of It’s the largest of its kind in Zhejiang province. It covers an area of over 308,000 square meters with more than 4.5 million volumes of books. It is equipped with various facilities such as reading rooms, exhibition halls and lecture halls. Its reading rooms have a capacity of over 1700 seats.
47Next to the provincial library, it is Zhejiang Children’s library, which is well facilitated. There are Children’s libraries only in a few cities in China. Children’s library is a good place for kids to learn more knowledge and broaden their mind after class. From these cultural facilities, we can see that Hangzhou municipal government attaches great importance to the education for the young generation.
48 4）Yellow Dragon CaveNow please look at the right in front of you. It is Yellow Dragon Cave which is a natural hilly garden reflecting “Dragon culture” and “Fate culture”. The garden was founded with a Buddhist monastery in southern Song Dynasty. The monastery was rebuilt in Ming Dynasty and turned into a Taoist temple in late Qing Dynasty, which once ranked among the eight best-known Taoist temples in China.
49The cave got its name from a legend that in Southern Song Dynasty a monk named Hui Kai came to the place where the present Yellow Dragon Cave garden stands. Content with the surroundings, he decided to set up a Buddhist temple on this location. One stormy day, people heard a deafening sound from the back of the hill. They rushed there, only to find a big rock cracking in the middle. Clear spring water kept bubbling from out of the crack. As the crack was shaped like a dragon’s mouth, people concluded that the monk must have brought a yellow dragon to the site. Hence the name, Yellow Dragon Cave. A yellow dragon head was carved on the rock and has become a landmark of the scenic spot.
50At present, a special garden of folk customs, called “Good Luck Garden” has been developed on the former site of Yellow Dragon Cave. The garden is the very place in which we can gain good luck as well as enjoy entertainment. Performances such as Yue opera and classic music south of Yangtse river are put on everyday here. In the garden, there is also a bamboo forest among which there are over 20 species of bamboos such as square bamboo, Buddha bamboo and purple bamboo. The square bamboo is a special species and rarely seen in the world.Now let’s enter the courtyard, enjoy the picturesque landscape, wonderful performance of Yue opera, and the beautiful Chinese classic music as well.
5111. 浙江世贸中心——黄龙饭店——浙江音乐厅——行道树 11. World Trade Center Zhejiang, Yellow Dragon Hotel, Zhejiang Concert Hall, Line Tree
521) World Trade Center Zhejiang Ladies and gentlemen, now, to your left side, it is World Trade Center Zhejiang. It consists of three parts: hotel building, office building and convention center. The hotel is one of the 5-star hotels in Hangzhou. It was accepted as a regular member of the world trade center association (WTCA) in The current building, however, was finished in 1998 and was listed as the top one of the “Ten best new views of Hangzhou City Construction”, thus becoming a symbolic building in the city. The West Lake Expo Exhibitions are held in its convention center for many years.
532) Dragon Hotel Hangzhou Next to the WTC Hotel, the grand building over there is a four star hotel--Dragon Hotel Hangzhou. It used to be run by Hong Kong New World Management Group. The hotel is a renowned hotel among all the Hotels in Hangzhou. It is one of the favorite hotels for the tourists from Hong Kong, Taiwan and the Southeast Countries.The hotel has 3 restaurants which specialize in making Chinese and other international dishes. The Room Facilities at Dragon Hotel in Hangzhou are good enough to satisfy one and all. The 507 rooms and suites are equipped with all sorts of facilities which make living extremely comfortable. The hotel also boasts of a karaoke center, massage centers and medical rooms. A stay in Dragon Hotel in Hangzhou will linger in ones mind for a long time to come.
543) Zhejiang Concert Hall The building on the right hand is the Zhejiang Concert Hall. It was built in May, 1998 with a seating capacity of 646 seats. It’s the first special concert hall in this province. The building is a combination of the musical beauty and architectural splendor. Its equipment is first class and has won praises from a number of noted vocal and instrumental artists as well as directors from both at home and abroad. Affiliated with Zhejiang Provincial Singing and Dancing Troupe, local operas and performances have been put on the stage of the concert hall all year round.
554) Street trees and flowers The trees on both sides of the street are called sycamore trees (plane tree) or French trees. Some people think that the sycamore trees may come from France, but actually they are native to China. It is said that once a French man traveled to Yunnan Province in China and found these trees very beautiful, so he brought some to their concession(租界) in Shanghai and planted them. Later, this kind of trees was introduced to Hangzhou, and called French trees. They are very good line trees. As we all know, Hangzhou is very hot in summer. The temperature can reach as high as 40 degrees centigrade.
56At that time, the sycamore trees can give deep shades on the streets because they are growing very fast. But every coin has two sides. The root of sycamore tree is very shallow so when typhoon comes, sycamore trees are easy to be ruined. And in spring, its small and light flowers fall to the ground and may ruin the appearance of the city.In Hangzhou there are also many other line trees, such as camphor trees, osmanthus, willow, poplars, gingko (银杏) tree, etc.Do you know the city tree and city flower in Hangzhou? The city tree is camphor tree and the city flower is Sweet osmanthus.
5712.市中医院——武林门——武林路时尚女装街Hangzhou Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Hangzhou TCM Hospital)--Ancient Wulin Gate-- Wulin Female Fashion Street
581) Hangzhou Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Hangzhou TCM Hospital) Please look at our right. We’ll pass by the Hangzhou Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, shortly, the TCM Hospital. TCM Hospital is believed to be effective for chronic diseases, especially for elderly people. The younger generations, however, trust western medicine more. So to win both the elderly patients as well as the young ones, the hospital has adopted a combined treatment for almost all the diseases. That means, when you go to see a doctor, he will give you two prescriptions, one for TCM and the other for western medicine.
59On your right, you can see the buildings of the hospital On your right, you can see the buildings of the hospital. What may interest you is that the hospital offers a course fro western people to learn acupuncture and moxibustion. If you wish, we can arrange a visit to the clinic tomorrow. Here you can see Hangzhou Municipal TCM Hospital on your right side. TCM is the abbreviation of traditional Chinese medicine. It is a grade A hospital at municipal level. In Chinese ancient philosophy, the universe consists of Yin and Yang and five basic elements--metal, wood, water, fire and earth, which compose the whole universe. When the yin and yang are balanced, everything goes smoothly. When they are not balanced, problems occur. This philosophy is applied to medical treatment to the human body. So the purpose of seeing a doctor and taking medicine is to regain the balance of Yin and Yang in the body.
602) Lesser Wulin Square, Ancient Wulin Gate Ladies and gentlemen, please look at your left side. This is Lesser Wulin Square, and also the site of the ancient Wulin Gate. You can a tablet with four characters “Ancient Wulin Gate” carved on it. Among the ten ancient city gates in Hangzhou, Wulin Gate is the oldest north gate of the city. It was built in Sui Dynasty with a history of over 1300 years. There used to be ten ancient city gates in Hangzhou. They are Wulin Gate, Gengshan Gate, Fengshan Gate, Qingtai Gate, Wangjiang Gate, Houchao Gate, Yongjin Gate，Qiantang Gate and Qingchun Gate.
613) Wulin Female Fashion Street Please look at your right side. This lively street is called Wulin Women fashion street. It is a road for lady’s garments. This street is 1650 meters long. It is close to Hubin commerce and trade area, creating an encircled shopping and leisure atmosphere.
62The garments and clothes accessories are characterized by modern individuality with quite a number of world famous brands. Originally as a region of stores selling cell phones, it has transformed into a fashion dress street for women just over the past few years. The floor space of each garment store ranges from over ten square meters to about one hundred square meters.With around two hundred such lady’s clothes stores, this street is a leading fashion location for modern girls in Hangzhou. On the street, there are also some hairdressers’, beauty saloons, fitness centers here, adding another leisure variety to the fashion life of the street.
6313. 武林广场——延安路——杭州的节庆活动——西博会 Wulin Square--Yan’an Road--the local festivals in Hangzhou—West Lake Expo
641) Wulin SquareLadies and gentlemen, the square on your left is Wulin square. It was built in 1960, and it was the first square in Hangzhou. For quite a long time since the establishment of the square, it was a main entertainment destination for many local people on the hot summer nights before the modern entertainment activities appeared in the city. In its center, there is a musical fountain, inside which there are three dancing girls surrounded by five girls who are playing traditional Chinese musical instruments. This was built in 1984 for the celebration of the 35th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China. It symbolizes that Hangzhou was liberated on May 3rd, 1949, and that year was the 35th anniversary of the New China. An underground passage was constructed under the square in 2006.
652） Yan’an RoadLadies and gentlemen, we’re coming to the busiest shopping area in Hangzhou. Please look on your right side. This is the busiest street—Yan’an Road. It’s named after Yan’an, a district in north Shanxi Province. As you know, Yan’an is the place where the Chinese Communist Government located before it moved to Beijing. It is the cradle of Chinese Communist Party. Yan’an road is also one of the two traditional shopping streets in Hangzhou, just like Nanjing Road and Huaihai Road in Shanghai. It’s known as the No. 1 street of Hangzhou. On this street, there are many large stores, such as In Time dept store, Hangzhou Dept store, Lane Crawford Chain store and so on.
66Running 3450 meters from the north to the south, the road is flanked with numerous department stores, shops, restaurants, as well as public services. People with different needs can always find what they want here, so it’s always very crowded very day, especially on holidays when the shops and department stores offer big discounts. The road links up the two squares in Hangzhou. This one here on your left is Wulin Square and the other one is Wushan Square.
6714. 中河路——杭州丝绸城——杭州体育馆——浙江日报社 Zhonghe elevated highway—Silk Market—Hangzhou Gymnasium--Zhejiang Newspaper Group
681) Zhonghe Elevated Highway We’re now driving across the zhonghe elevated highway. Compared with the elevated highways in Shanghai, this one is really not so outstanding. However, it has helped a lot in the city’s transportation. Today, it’s being extended to both the north and the south. In the south, it crosses the Qiantang river and becomes an easy access to Binjiang, a new district of Hangzhou. With the development of the economy, we’re experiencing a rapid boom of vehicles, especially private cars. More and more people buy cars instead of bicycles. This has caused a very big problem for the road transportation.
69To solve this problem, the local government is trying very hard to build new roads, widen the old ones, extend the short ones, set up elevated roads and build tunnels and overpasses. A tunnel crossing the Qiantang River is under construction. And the municipal government has started the subway construction. The first line will be completed in At that time we will have a better transportation system.
702) Silk MarketLook at the right side. This is the silk market. It is along a road of more than 1000 meters, covering an area of 25,000 square meters, including 4 exhibition halls and 800 stores. All kinds of silk, brocades and silk handicrafts are exhibited and sold here. It is said that silk market is the window of the silk culture in Hangzhou.
713) Hangzhou GymnasiumLadies and gentlemen, on our left there is a boat-shape construction, which is Hangzhou Gymnasium. It was built in 1966 and used to be the Zhejiang People Gymnasium—a landmark constuction in 1960s. In 2001, the gym became the city gymnasium and the municipal government named it Hanghou Gymnasium and invested more 20 million yuan for its renovation. The present Hangzhou Gym can hold more than 5000 audiences with advanced sports facilities and comfortable environment and attract thousands of people to join sports and social activities there. .
72Opposite the gym is Hangzhou Stadium Opposite the gym is Hangzhou Stadium. For this reason, the avenue running between them from west to east is named Tiyuchang Road (Stadium Road). The road is 3900 meters long with many landmark constructions on its both sides such as Hanghou TCM Hospital, the ticket office of the CAAC, Zhejiang Publication Mansion, Hangzhou Silk Market, Zhejiang Daily Press Group, etc.
734) Zhejiang Daily Press Group Ladies and gentlemen, on your left is Zhejiang Newspaper Group, which is the largest newspaper group in Zhejiang province. It owns six famous newspapers including Zhejiang Daily, Qiangjiang Evening News, Today Morning Express, China Art Weekly(美术报) , two magazines and one website. Zhejiang Daily is the office newspaper of the CPC Zhejiang Provincial Committee. It started its publication in Hangzhou on May 9th in 1949 and became the first published official newspaper of CPC in Zhejiang Province in history. Now the press group owns a 28-storey complex building with a staff of over 1000 people.
7415．杭州住宅情况——贴沙河——红会医院 Housing in Hangzhou—Tiesha River (the City Moat)-- Red Cross Hospital
751) Housing in HangzhouLadies and gentlemen, the buildings on both sides of the street are the residential areas for Hangzhou citizens. Until now in Hangzhou, the average of the housing area has been over 20m2 per capita in urban district and about 66 m2 in suburb. Traditionally, local people of Hangzhou lived in large courtyard, but now most of the citizens live in apartments with balconies. In every residential area, there are lawns, parking lots and body-building facilities. Living in these beautiful and well-equipped environments, people fell more secure and more comfortable. The development of living conditions to some extent indicates the development of the culture and economy of Hangzhou. That is why Hangzhou got the fame as the “Best Human Habitat City” in China.
762）Tiesha River (the City Moat) Ladies and gentlemen, on our left, we can see the city moat of Hangzhou—Tiesha River.As an ancient river in Hangzhou City with a history of thousand of years, Tiesha River was dug in 861 AD with a length of about 6km. Since it is connected with Qiantang River，its main function was served as a passage for the flood from Qiantang River and as a defense to defend the city against invaders. Because in ancient time, sands piled on its shore, local people named it “Tiesha River”. At present, the local government has invested hundred millions RMB Yuan to dredge this moat to keep the water in it clean. Along the moat, there are some parks, lawns and sculptures. Now It has become a good place for people to relax themselves as well as the source of the drinking water for the whole city.
773）Red Cross HospitalOn our right, it is a hospital called Red Cross Hospital. It was founded in 1928, and is one of the oldest hospitals in Hangzhou. It used to be a Christian hospital, but now it is a typical western and Chinese combination hospital. As you know, the TCM hospital in the Stadium Road is a hospital with combined treatment of TCM and western medicine. This one here is also as good as the TCM Hospital. The function of this hospital is not only for medical treatment and medical education, but also for scientific research.
7816. 杭州概况——庆春门——杭州城垣Briefing on Hangzhou—Qingchun Gate--Hangzhou Ancient City Wall Gallery
791）Briefing on HangzhouLadies and gentlemen, now let me give your a brief introduction about Hangzhou. Hangzhou is located near the coastline in southeastern China and in the north of Zhejiang Province. It is the provincial center of politics, economy, culture and transportation and a world-known historical and cultural city, as well as a picturesque tourist city and Leisure city. Hangzhou is also one of the seven ancient capitals of China. In history, it was served as the capital of Wuyu kingdom in Five Dynasties and the capital of Southern Song Dynasty.
80Hangzhou covers an area of 16,596 square kilometers with a population of over 6.60 millions. The city proper covers an area of 3,068 square kilometers with a population of about million.The history of Hangzhou dates back to over 2,200 years ago when the First Qin Emperor unified the whole country. Soon after the unification in 221BC, he set up 36 prefectures in China, under which were counties. Hangzhou at that time was a small county, named Wulin,
81Not until the Sui Dynasty (S-U-I, from 581 to 618 AD) did Hangzhou become a city. But it reached its prosperity in the Southern Song Dynasty over 800 years ago when it served as capital. That’s why it’s listed as one of the “Seven Ancient Capital Cities”. Since Ming Dynasty, Hangzhou has been the capital of Zhejiang Province and it has been reputed as “ A Land of Fish and Rice”, “The Capital of Silk and Tea”, “A City of Culture”, and “A Place of Tourist Resort”.Today, of course, Hangzhou becomes even more developed and prosperous than ever.
822) Qingchun GateQingchun Gate, one of ten ancient city gate of Hangzhou, was founded in Southern Song Dynasty. It used to be called Dongqing gate, also called Caishi Gate (Vegetable Market Gate) since there used to be a vegetable market outside of the city.At the end of Southern Song Dynasty, the gate was ruined in the war. When it was rebuilt, it was called Taiping Men ( Peace Gate) because there was a Taiping Bridge nearby.
83In the beginning of Ming Dynasty, Chang Yuchun, a general of Ming Dynasty entered the city by the gate after he conquered Hangzhou, hence the name, Qingchun Gate. Qingchun Gate with the city wall were torn down in 1958 and a avenue called Eastern Ring Road was built on it site. In order to commemorate the gate and city wall, a city wall gallery was constructed by the road.
8417. 金衙庄——解放路——清泰门——四季青服装市场Jinyazhuang Garden-- Jie Fang Road—Evergreen Garment Market
851) Jinyazhuang GardenLadies and gentlemen, Please look at your left side. This is the site of Jinyazhuang Garden which used to be the No. 1 private garden of Hangzhou. It was the villa of a scholar, Jinxuezheng (金学曾) in Ming Dynasty. In Qing Dynasty an official Yanhang bought the garden and changed its name as Gao Garden (皋园). During the extending project of Jie Fang Road, the garden was torn down and only some camphor trees have been left, one of which is over 700 years old and well-known among the local people. Now a new Jinyazhuang Park has been built and it has become a good place for the citizens to relax themselves.
862) Jie Fang RoadLadies and gentlemen, the road We are now passing by is called Jiefang Road. On May 3rd , 1949, the People’s Liberation Army entered Hangzhou along this road and Hangzhou was thus peacefully liberated. To commemorate this event, the road was named Jiefang Road, meaning Liberation Road. Running from the east to the west with a length of 2148 meters, the road is one of the downtown areas of the city. At the eastern end of the road there is a newly built Xincheng Tunnel which leads to the Qianjiang New Town.
873) Qintai GateLadies and gentlemen, here used to be the east gate of Hangzhou, Qintai Gate. It was first constructed in Southern Song Dynasty, and ruined and reconstructed in Yuan Dynasty. As outside the gates there was a river net where breechblocks (螺蛳) were produced, local people also call the gate Breechblock Gate. Qintai Gate was torn down when Hangzhou Railway Stationwas built in 1907 and only a tablet with it name stands here in memory of the gate.
884) Evergreen Garment Market Now please look out the window. Is it very crowded in this market?. This is Hangzhou Evergreen Garment Market, a nationwide popular professional garment wholesale market. The market was founded in 1989 with a floor space of 50,000 square meters and 3,000 stores. It features a variety of types, new fashions, good qualities and low prices and has become the garment business center in China.